Late news: Don Smith memorial, Sunday 6th March

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

Late news, as in I should have posted this months ago. :oops:

The Don Smith memorial is an open reliability, as is open to any cyclists, not just the Joansin. Hot on the heels of the club's own reliability season, we should have plenty fit and able bodies game for a day out.

The ride is in memory of Don Smith, a stalwart of the club and a much respected member of the cycling community for many years.

Venue: JWCC clubrooms, Miller Street, Johnstone PA5 8HP

Sunday 6th March (I know it clashes with the Gifford Super 6, but how many of you are entered for that? :grin: )

Entry fee: £6 all proceeds to to the Accord Hospice in Paisley, an independent charity giving free medical and nursing care to those in Renfrewshire and parts of East Renfrewshire whose illness is causing physical pain and emotional stress and for whom curative treatment may no longer be appropriate. http://www.accord.org.uk Charity No SC O13682.

Choice of 30-ish, 55-ish and 65-ish mile runs, followed by tea, soup, pieces and cakes at the clubrooms.

Look out for more details and routes to be published here very soon!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Greig,

Traditionally the DS always started and finished at the clubrooms. It's only over the last few years that we've tried using different venues for the event. This year we're just going back to basics.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions
I'll be there. I've taken the weekend off for a ride Oh ya dancer !

Will all club members be doing this instead of the usual club run?

Just have to pick a distance!

Hi Ritchie,

yes, this is also the club run for a day.

See you there,

M

• Members

The Wheelers are on Facebook, dontcha know! :grin: This page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=145568042164128&ref=mf

If a couple of folk from outside the club confirm their attendance on Facebook, news of the event will start to percolate through club cyclists in the West of Scotland (in theory) cos they're all electronic friends with each other on the site. Just a thought. Cannae do any harm.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi all,

Routes now confirmed, details on the links below. If you're a high tech dude you can download these to your handlebar gadget (click on the 'summary' tab), if not print them out or hing on to a wheel come Sunday morning.

09.00 hard men and women: 77 miles round the coast http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=211805

09.30 club run pace: 54 miles to Largs and back up the Haylie http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=211803

10:00 ladies and gentlemen: 32 scenic miles in Renfrewshire http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=211798

Hopefully we'll all be back at the clubrooms around 1.00pm for some grub.

So let's see some hands then. Who's riding in which group? Do we have any volunteers for sandwiches / cakes etc? Thanks to Alan Y for the first offer of soup. Anyone else bring a pot?

Small print

While out on the course, riders should travel in groups of no more than 30 and follow the Highway Code at all times.

Although the use of a safety helmet is not compulsory, we strongly recommend that you wear one at all times throughout the event.

Each participant is responsible for the maintenance of their bike and we would recommend that you carry a spare tube or puncture repair kit.

Cyclists below the age of 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.

• 2023 Subscriptions

About Don Smith: words kindly supplied by Brian Smith.

Donald Smith (Big Don) was very proud of being a member of the Johnstone Wheelers Cycling Club, joining the Club in 1953 at the age of 18 years of age and remaining a member for all his adult life. Don enjoyed all aspects of cycling from Touring to Road Racing. The Club participated in all these aspects in good numbers and during his early years met his future wife, Dorothy, and most of his life-long friends. Don never took any position within the Club because he wanted to enjoy any spare time on his bike.

Don's passion was road-racing and, along with his brother Roy, he participated in events throughout the UK and Ireland including the Scottish Milk Race.

Big Don never won very much but always showed eager enthusiasm to do his best at all times. He revelled in meeting other cyclists and was in his element before and after events when the 'cycling banter' was in full swing.

He worked all his life with British Gas, often seen cycling from job to job with his tool-bag on his back. A cycling holiday for a month every year in Italy enhanced his love for cycling.

Don had 3 children, all of whom, at some point in their life took to 2 wheels. He was very proud and supportive to his cycling family and was often seen around the UK jumping about at the side of the road waving the Saltire (the St Andrews Cross) as he supported his son Brian.

Big Don was never satisfied sitting in the house; he was only ever happy when out on his bike with his cycling buddies. Being the character he was, he entertained everyone around him and even landed an interview on Sky Sports.

The Don Smith Memorial is a fitting tribute to a man who enjoyed simply riding his bike around Renfrewshire and meeting new people. The Memorial Ride was set up the year after his death and has grown in size ever since.

• Administrators

I'm still working on my plan to ride the scenic route on Sunday. Due to time constraints I'm probably going to start the route from Kilmacolm and stop at club on route.

I'd be fine starting at 10am if I could ride at 30mph!