Callender Park 9th Oct 2016, Falkirk

Alan McLean

• Committee

Me, Martin, Duncan, Paul, Davie, Mike,  lots  of Jets etc. Who else?

This is a beautiful parkland course with grass, cinder, off camber and the famous hairpin tree turn.

It will be heavily subscribed so get your entries in now.

Also a very good place to sell your old kit, looks like there will upwards of 500 riders and spectators.

Crisp dry air and autumn sun guaranteed.

Alan

PS CallendAr, duh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Fab to be back in the world of cross. Perfect day and venue for racing. Made my 3 targets in the old guys race: finished, didn't go down, and not last. Was last of the JW contingent, so got a new target for next time. :-)

• Committee

After a couple of good TLI events I got found out in a big BC event and finished mid-pack. I entertained the Jets by locking up the rear wheel on a hairpin and kissing the grass.

But the venue, weather and ambience were spectacular. The Park was rammed with riders and spectators from 5 upwards. The Jets coaches swooned at the amount of tape and stakes. What a great advert for Scottish cyclocross. The course was very fast and even dusty. No mud on kit or skin at the finish, wanted my money back. The only disappointment was a relative shortage of younger racers from Jets and main club (ie U40) but Alan McB was there checking us out and I wonder if Santa might bring him a cx bike a little early.

Big kudos to Billie and Paul for finishing after rolling a tub and a mechanical respectively. Also to Martin and Duncan for setting up the Easy-up to provide a club base and to Norma Millar for coffee and cake in support. Big slagging also for Billie for using double-sided sellotape to fix his tubs on.

Come on board folks but as we move into winter we can only offer you sweat, rain and mud.

Dull technical point: My front QR lever was pointing forward, as I tell the Jets NOT to do, and sure enough it was loosened in a clash of wheels at a hairpin. I had to stop and retighten. So I highly recommend that QR levers point backwards.

• 2023 Subscriptions

first cyclocross race for ages, loved it. dead slow though. onwards and upwards. 

Jamie said I was rubbish, he said it was a helpful comment.

Just because he was 3rd in U12 doesn't mean he can slag off his old man. No, actually, it does icon_rolling_smile

Aye great day with mega fields in the races.

Random gridding in the V40 race left the 3 amigos standing around for a while after the gun went but me and Paul had a decent 1st couple of laps making up some places with Davie C no doubt close on our heels. The faster start actually took away some of the bottle necks and at the tree hairpin I managed to ride it 1st time round. Nae luck to Paul with puncture but at least he got spare bike and managed to get a few more laps in.

I was chuffed by not being lapped (not even close) and last year this would probably have got you around a top 30 but this year I was sprinting for 50th place so think the completion has been upped again this year.

Till the next time....