The Angry Wasp ( aka the sewing bee)

charlie p

Angry Waasp - Done.

Gubbed by the time I got home. Legs dug out the white flag on the last wee incline at the dams and begun waving it on the rise through Mearns. Capitulation completed through Clarkston.

James going well, had his pipe and slippers out going up the Bowfield. I'm claiming the Stewarton 30 for the first and only time this year. M'Lud clearly keeping something in reserve for the climbing.

Me.

6.15 depart??? Oooh you are kind M'Lud.

I've been practicing on the Stewarton Road a few times since last week. Definitely steeper inclines climbing from the Mearns side. If it weren't for the early evening traffic volumes I'd suggest doing the route in reverse every now and then starting at Barrhead

Hi,

I have Strava, how do I link this route so I can follow it and see how I get on ?

I'll be out this Sunday with the 30 milers, last 2 weeks I have had Golf Matches, they have finished on Sunday mornings now.

I have done 30 miles Bridge of Weir to Glengarnock, so should not be that slow

• 2023 Subscriptions

Andy

Don't know, this is a last man standing sort of ride, which starts at the cycle track at Morrisons then up the bow field once at the top the pace increases with a rolling bunch ride pace stays manageable and they may even slow down a fraction to let you stay on once they turn towards Stewarton pace stays high with a sprint for the two 30 signs

When they turn left its left to the skinnies to drive the pace us mortals hang on for as long as we can there is no waiting , re group at farmhouse for a easier run home via some lanes and the Dalek hill

Andy/Chris

'Tis too early in the year for the last man standing nonsense that McBagel refers to, added to which the boggers are still bogging it on the westferry. There was a distinct air of mutual respect re-established by the elder statesmen and co-founders of this ride last week - work hard but no one got broken. That said this is not a Sunday bunch ride but a mid week training ride. We do soft pedal to let people come together after a climb such as the Bowfield but the pace is brisk and sustained for the most part, especially on the flatter sections. The long drag out of Stewarton, most definitely the hardest section of the ride, is a work out and if one gets dropped then one gets dropped.

If you fancy giving it a bash I'd suggest you come along with the view of getting to at least Dunlop or Stewarton with the group and have a bail out plan if the pace is too strong, stick at it for a few weeks and then aim to do the whole route. There is a side road back to Dunlop a mile or so out of Stewarton off the main drag. You don't need to have ridden the route beforehand. Some Strava follower will have posted the route somewhere on the forum. Check back through last year's threads for the Swing Bee rides

Depends how slow you are on the hills, plump one. I read your account of some mystical col du Bishy.

The route is about 25 miles. 18mph ave. will see it done in 1 hr 20ish so I reckon 7.40 pm at the regroup point just outside Mearns - all the usual variables apply. No idea how long it takes to drop down back into Paisley/Johnstone via dalek hill. Stick on some lights just in case.

Andy/Chris

'Tis too early in the year for the last man standing nonsense that McBagel refers to, added to which the boggers are still bogging it on the westferry. There was a distinct air of mutual respect re-established by the elder statesmen and co-founders of this ride last week - work hard but no one got broken. That said this is not a Sunday bunch ride but a mid week training ride. We do soft pedal to let people come together after a climb such as the Bowfield but the pace is brisk and sustained for the most part, especially on the flatter sections. The long drag out of Stewarton, most definitely the hardest section of the ride, is a work out and if one gets dropped then one gets dropped.

If you fancy giving it a bash I'd suggest you come along with the view of getting to at least Dunlop or Stewarton with the group and have a bail out plan if the pace is too strong, stick at it for a few weeks and then aim to do the whole route. There is a side road back to Dunlop a mile or so out of Stewarton off the main drag. You don't need to have ridden the route beforehand. Some Strava follower will have posted the route somewhere on the forum. Check back through last year's threads for the Swing Bee rides

Thats some good advice mark thanks. Iv saved the route i wana get a run with the 30 milers once or twice for experience then try the route once or twice. I see a lot of johnstone guys on the strava leaderboards on my routes so ive no illusions regarding the speed. Im slow on the hills but hopefuly can change that doing club runs as well as my own stuff. Il come prepared eventually

Knowing the road and whats coming will be worth the wait alex, just done my 2nd tt and planning to do a couple of the confined ten milers. Need to start climbing hills again been mostly flat to practice bars and pacing so far this year but got that now so il get round this for hills and practice never been any of the route.