Thursday night world championships

thejanullrichdietplan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Would anyone be interested in a totally unofficial, informal competition based on points given out on the summer chain gang on Thursday nights? Just to be clear it is not a race, there are no prizes up for grabs - however if you were to find yourself at the top of an unofficial, informal league table by the end of the season then you have the the glory of being the Thursday night world champion.

Scoring:

First. You get a point for turning up.

Second. King of the Clune.

From the bottom of the Clune to the layby at the top where we regroup

1st 3 points
2nd 2 points
3rd 1 point

(the scoring here will need to be based on the honour system considering the leaders will likely be out of sight of the rest of us)

Third. Final habble along the Georgetown Road

1st 3 points
2nd 2 points
3rd 1 points

In addition to this there will be special Jens Voigt bonus points to encourage attacking riding

Namely an attack of 2 or less riders along the Georgetown road that manage to stay away. Because it so rarely succeeds this will have 20 points at stake, if there are 2 riders in the breakaway then it is 10 bonus points each a solo break then 20. No extra points for finishing 1st and 2nd, bunch sprint is then for 3rd.

2 bonus points will also be available for trying an attack that doesnt stick. It has to be a proper attack though, at least 20 metres on the bunch and sustained for a bit!

Any interest? I was trying to think up some handicap scoring system to keep things balanced but this is too complicated so could add an APR element every few weeks. On this night there will be no points for 'King of the Clune' but once at the top riders will be seeded and those in group 1 will get a 90 second head start (does that sound about right?) on those in group 2. If group 1 stays away everyone in it gets 6 points. If they are caught then it becomes 3,2 and 1 points for the top 3 in the sprint.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great idea Iain, my only comment is to keep it simple ! by the time I got to the end of your proposals I thought I was trying to figure out a triple escalator, 3 way spreAD with multiple exit clauses on the futures market :)

I suppose that would make for a good tactic - make the scoring so complex that i'm the only one who knows how the points are allocated!

Fine idea Iain, in adding a bit of interest to the chain gang.

As Paul suggests best keep it simple. Clune and Habble points only with judicial point deductions for blatant wheel sucking and hiding. If a break sticks along the Georgetown then momentus occurance should be heralded as thus on thr forum with due plaudits. No breaks before the lights at BoW (safety first head on - one or two might get a green light and others get caught with a red. The temptation might be to jump the lights). Nowt wrong with a mini habble for the 30. Voigts points for closing down a gap/break perhaps?

Failed breaks to hard to judge. Someone could attack just for the sake of it collect a point or 2 then sit up for an easy ride in with no intent to contest the sprint. I would often go off on one from the BoW lights just for the hell of stirring things up knowing my effort would never stick and I'd never win the sprint.

All that said, there is a chance that guys might get so interested in points and bragging rights that it'll descend into cagey cat and mouse and energy conservation from Bishy, which may defeat the purpose of the chain gang along the westferry, which should still be an exercise in chain gang riding - smooth, controlled and without the group falling apart.

I'll offer my domestique services to anyone for a 30% cut of a season's points accrued. Business is business.

M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Taken on board some of the suggestions.  Perhaps a little unfair but it is double points for the finish on the Georgetown compared to the Clune to hopefully prevent the temptation to sit in on the west ferry keeping legs fresh and waiting to grab lots of points on the climb. The intermediate sprint has the drag from the lights plus the uphill before the 30 so that give a little more balance and a chance for the climbers rather than it being a flat sprint.  I'll see how it goes for the first couple of weeks then maybe change things again.

1 point for participation

Clune KOM

1st 3
2nd 2
3rd 1

Intermediate sprint for the 30 at Houston

1st 2

2nd 1

Finish on Georgetown

1st 6
2nd 4
3rd 2

No bonus points for a break that stays away. If you are in a break then the incentive of glory should be enough!