Rouken Glen Cyclocross Race

PaulL

• 2023 Subscriptions

The second Rouken Glen Cyclocross Race looked to be fun, snow and ice! Myself, David Cathcart and Davie Borland were in the B race of 100 riders. Not sure what David Borland was in the B as he has had better results than alot of people in the A race! The 3 of us started well all up near the top at the first lap. The course was technical and slippy and got worse as the race went on. Lots of crashes, but soft landings... I had a good few collisions(as did the others) and damaged my front wheel but wasn't bad enough to stop. Davie B was looking really strong, I couldn't see David Cathcart after a few laps as he had a black jacket on. Davie B finished 11th place! Great result after the lurgy. I finished 34th(no excuses) and David Cathcart was 48th after 6 weeks of the bike with illness. Not a bad day for the wheelers... so far.

We met Alex Baird and Paul McDonald on their way to the start of the A race. The course was getting very slippy and alot more technical due to some compacted snow on the turns! but hopefully they have a good ride!

Link below to watch the pros in the world cup live today

Cheers 

Paul L

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done guys and also Alex looking good in the A race. Afraid I have to take this one on the chin as I only lasted about 20 mins then stopped due to gubbedness from yesterday. Aspirations exceeding reality. Cheered Alex for a couple of laps then got sweat chill and departed to warm car.

Technical question, anyone else using a mini v front brake? I have one that is quite bitey and I found myself on the deck quite a few times on slippy off cambers where others did not seem to be having same problem. Wondered if it was the bite of the brake versus the more progressive braking discs which many were using?

That was some course. Cheers for the shouts Chung and Paul! My feet are still frozen and my lurgi is worse than ever.

I watched most of the B Race with David B, Paul L and David C. David B looked really strong - i think you were 11th DB which is fantastic going. Saw a 49th too, but not sure if DC or PL.

A late toilet stop saw me start dead last, but the crack in the grid was brilliant. Seemed to be passing a fair few the first 3 laps then found a group and just wanted it all to be over. Never crashed so often without hitting the deck. Big slides all over the place.

Brilliant fun!

The JWCC cx race has a lot to live up to now!!! Picks of PL on facebook. Some of DB here as i don't think he's on fb. Sorry DC - dudn't see you without your JWCC kit on.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Paul,

Truth be told mini-v's tend to be the answer to canti's for all but guys who are good (they don't brake) and can set them up - my last bike I swapped out canti's for mini-v's as it was the only way to get rid of horrendous fork judder. Now running discs and as Paul said for mere mortals these are the answer. I hope to be able to give an update on full SRAM hydraulic v's mechanical disc as I managed to get half price deals from Ribble for combination of CX1 / Rival - bit of faffing about to get cables cut, bled and set up so maybe a couple of weeks before I get them set.

As for wiping out - I did twice :) the only way to get round a lot of the twisty stuff today was foot out. Forget brakes, tyres are the single biggest advantage gain in 'cross and even though I run tubs my tyres are crap at low pressures as they sit high and tend to "snap" as opposed to having supple side walls - a bit more research before purchasing would have helped. I have a set of Challenge Grifos curing at present, but gluing the Belgian way is time consuming and can't be rushed so they may need to wait ''till next year. The fast guys will be using "cotton" type side wallls which flex with the terrain and will help in all conditions.

Good to see so many Wheelers out today, hope to go a bit better next week if I can stay fit.

Thanks Davy and many congrats on your man of the match performance today. I reckon for now I'll carry on with the less serious CX kit as I sold the family silver for a dedicated DA machine ! :)

Didn't think an Arran reference was possible in this thread, but you managed it!