Calling all Ronde veterans

Richie Cross

Important point, dont queue at the start, just steam right down to the front. We made that mistake before! Do wear mitts, (as someone who never wears them, but suffered the blisters after the Flanders) make sure you're Garmin is reinforced with insulating tape, do bend your bottle cages so they grip extra tight and ensure tyres are inflated to 100 psi max.

These are just some pointers, nothing can prepare you for the Bergs. I like to think I could enjoy a pint after most bike rides but after completing the Tour Of Flanders I had something to eat, a pint then went to my bed. #everyone else went out on the lash....

Enjoy!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ritchie

I did La Ronde on 23 m tyres. Felt like I was operating a pneumatic drill when I went over cobbles. For Poubaix I used 25 m pave tyres. Massive difference & I actually enjoyed the cobbles. The Bergs are great fun.just make sure you have a good head of steam when u start the climbs.

Agree with Kenny. Get up to front and find a bunch to sit in as the first 40 odd miles are flat & fast.

Finally take no directional advice from Tom Hill

• 2024 Subscriptions

Important point, dont queue at the start, just steam right down to the front. We made that mistake before! Do wear mitts, (as someone who never wears them, but suffered the blisters after the Flanders) make sure you're Garmin is reinforced with insulating tape, do bend your bottle cages so they grip extra tight and ensure tyres are inflated to 100 psi max.

These are just some pointers, nothing can prepare you for the Bergs. I like to think I could enjoy a pint after most bike rides but after completing the Tour Of Flanders I had something to eat, a pint then went to my bed. #everyone else went out on the lash....

Enjoy!

• 2024 Subscriptions

Tough day out. Agree with Kenny. I rode 25s and I'm glad I did. Metal bottle holders are a must. I also had a gell strip on the bars and 32 spoker hand builts, although these aren't strictly necessary. Oh and I also used SPDs just in case I had to walk up any of the bergs ( I didn't). They are steep and if it's wet and rammed, you might have to, especially if someone in front of you goes down.

post-3055-0-19758100-1445671294_thumb.jpg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Re tyres - I did it on 23's as my frame cannot take 25's. It is obviously doable but uncomfortable. I would recommend 25's Kenny as I had to get up and sit in a cold bath at 5am the next morning due to waking up with a lot of pain in my gentleman region. Poor Darryl and Richard may remember this early morning pantomine !

• Committee

FWIW

I hated the flat fast cobbles with 25mm tyres and I doubt anything short of a hovercraft would have helped.

The climbs are short but up to 20%. I just managed on a 54/25 on Paterberg and Koppenberg but would have preferred a bailout gear.

long day, 260km or whatever, so do not be tempted to join early groups steaming past at 45kph. Suggest you regroup at feed stops to ensure all/most finish together as jwcc.

I don't know the current route but one of my most enjoyable rides was going full gas from top of Bosberg to the finish with whole jwcc contingent having already done about 250k. Much more fun as a group in blue and yellow. (And Paul MacDonald never went down the LHS of a busy street to gain a tactical advantage in the last 2k)

Have a meet up plan at the finish so you do not leave in drips and drabs. Stay until last rider finishes in the gloom.

if it raining wear a cap (as well as shorts, shoes, jersey etc)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Pretty much echo what the chaps have said.....

Although, I dont believe in spending hunners on "Mods", well maybe i'm just tight...anyway!...double bar tape will do the trick, and tescos own metal bottle cages with a squeeze, still use a variant to this day and they done PR, easy done. I used Vittoria Rubino Pro tyreshalf the price of the paves, and I never punctured on the ronde or PR.  

I rode on a 53/ 25 or 26, it was ***k*** hard! I cant remember if I rode 23's or 25's probably 25's. WHAT REALLY MATTERS, is how you tackle the cobbles:

Fast as comfortably possible;

Keeping some in the tank;

As you really dont know how long the section is;

Dont go slow....

Like I done and "feel" every up and down and the little bit of dirt between the cobbles, its bloody sore! OH and most sections have a lovely gutter, maybe as wide as your foot, USE IT! you'll be glad you did after 120 miles ;)

As with the Ronde...then the Nove colli.....and Liege, you will naturally find a few guys to stick with, stick with them. The fast boys will want to push on, and DO, the slower guys will want to relax into the day...DO. Dont wait too long to regroup. And yes! STOP AT EVERY FEED STOP, even for 5 minutes, Im about 99.7% sure you will need to!

Good luck chaps! It'll be a stormer!