Calling all Ronde veterans

Richie Cross

• 2023 Subscriptions

a) didn't start the thread.

b)the meet up spot, on this occasion, is where the tour of Flanders organising committee decided it would be. Even with my contacts at the UCI I have little say on this matter.

c) meet up spot-see B

If only you could swap some of those leg muscles for brain cells.

Jog on :)

• Committee

Alan, you are my hero in every possible way, but did you really go up the Paterberg and Koppenberg in a 54-25 or was it a typo, if you did then you will assume God like status,

:)

Thanks Paul, but it was definitely 34/25 although I pretty much trackstanded (trackstood?) up the steeper climbs.

You may remember we had to visit the bike shop in Geraldsbergen to buy me a new cassette the day before. The mechanic who sold it was an ex-racer. I asked for a 12-28 or similar but when he saw I already had a compact chainset he gave me a look of withering contempt and explained that true cyclists climbed in 39/21 max. but that he would sell me a 12-25 out of pity. I think there is even a photo of the guy somewhere on the forum thread. I would recommend going bigger at the back.

• 2023 Subscriptions

My advice is keep hydrated. Jupiter is good for volume, Leffe when you're warmed up, and La Chouffe for when you get serious about things. As Greg says use metal cages and squeeze them to keep your bottles in tight.

Other than that just tighten up the bolts on your road bike and go. Flanders cobbles are mostly uphill, so you're not going that fast to worry (unlike Roubaix).  For the one downhill section and the 2 or 3 flat sections keep the power on so you don't lose your chain. Gets them over quicker too.

Now the important stuff. You will want frites, sausages and beer at the end, but they don't take cash at the bar. Buy tokens from the wee kiosk and use these to get your grub. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Paul, but it was definitely 34/25 although I pretty much trackstanded (trackstood?) up the steeper climbs.

You may remember we had to visit the bike shop in Geraldsbergen to buy me a new cassette the day before. The mechanic who sold it was an ex-racer. I asked for a 12-28 or similar but when he saw I already had a compact chainset he gave me a look of withering contempt and explained that true cyclists climbed in 39/21 max. but that he would sell me a 12-25 out of pity. I think there is even a photo of the guy somewhere on the forum thread. I would recommend going bigger at the back.

First time I went over my pal Gav (known to a number of veterans among us) rode it all on old school years. 52/42 with a 21 on the back. He got there.

• 2024 Subscriptions

The cobbles are fine except perhaps when it's wet, or you are Knackered, or both...no need to bother finding cobbles beforehand, it'll only put you off.

Seem to recall that part of the prep involved the full coast, followed by as many steep climbs as possible. Finished with the hill climb!

• Committee

Is the event on closed roads?

I imagine the bergs are?

big main roads were not closed. If we strayed onto the road then police motorcyclists shooed us back onto the cycle tracks. Classic sections were closed and fine. Imagine nipping down the A737 to Howood  then sprinting up the hill climb on cobbles, returning to Johnstone and repeating about 10 times.

The cycle tracks were a mixed blessing, We were obliged to use them if present. There was often a foot wide trench of debris between the cycle track and road with loads of street furniture to avoid especially in the villages. This would be fine solo but lethal in a bunch of 8000.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys

It is epic. You will have a fantastic time. Yes it can be uncomfortable on the cobbles, yes it is long, yes it is sore if you hit a conrete bollard at 23mph, yes the downhill cobles are even more sore, yes you might walk like John Wayne for 3 days afterwards. But you will love it .

• 2024 Subscriptions

Ritchie

I mentioned wheels in my post. If you have normal wheels (hand built with 32 spokes) then I would advise you take them. Other wheels are fine except if you have a problem. 32 spokers are away to fix/true, whereas low-spoke factory wheels aren't.

Having said that most people got round without a wheel problem...

• 2023 Subscriptions

Richie, all Darryl says rings true. However the service stops have excellent mechanics who managed to get my ksyrium front wheel straight enough to continue despite being a long way out of true after a bollard incident. So if you don't want to buy new wheels just for this you will be fine. I rode it with ksyriums and 23 tyres.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Committee

Here is a pic of me wilting under the pitiless stare of Belgian Bike Shop guy after he fitted my teeny cassette.

P4010016.jpg