Road Race team

P McDonald

Yes first up is the ice breaker (2) feb Team TT March (3) need a three for March Thinking George Coutie plus one if your wanting to race March event you can borrow my TT bike and pointy hat as I am up north got

R that one

Paul, Billy,

Thanks for the advice and it's great to see the enthusiaism for competition which is growing.

Will add from painful experience that Paul's comments with regards to not doing any high intensity stuff without a decent base may well be the truest words ever spoken and if you are new to this lark take particular note. After being off the bike for all intents practically all last summer I tried to do this in order to race the 'cross season. The result, race after race, was blowing big style half way and barely making it to the finish - I freely admit to being no Sven Nys in terms of performance but I was getting my backside kicked by people I was beating last year and it was a bit frustrating to say the least.

After a break for a couple of weeks doing some longer road miles (though still not many) and longer more structured turbo stuff I can now last 50 odd minutes of a race without going in the red - quite an eye opener fitness wise and I am now racing with Garmin set on heart rate and can manage it.

Davie

• 2023 Subscriptions

I see in the calendar there is a race at Straiton 28th March for 3/4. Entry opens 25th Jan.

There is also a WOSCA race provisionally 29th March for 2,3,4 - not on BC yet.

Having ridden the 2,3,4 last year I would recommend the Straiton race to be much more viable.

The 2,3,4 was a bit beyond me, Andy and Colin last year.

However the conundrum is that 6 JWCC are guaranteed entry to the 2,3,4 as its a WOSCA. Not so the Straiton which will prioritise Ayrshire club riders.

If you feel flush and fit enter both.

I plan to enter the Straiton and if I don't get in I'm sure I'll dream up an Arran type challenge that weekend :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks for the heads up that these races are now open Andy. Have entered both.

Just for general info the WOSCA series dosn't really kick off until May with only one race in March before then. So worth entering these races if you want to race before May.

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Im getting to the point where i'll need a PA to keep a cycling diary (assuming entry to the WOSCA races, ive already entered the others). Going to be a fun 2 weeks, although i realise it's all a bit unfocused and probably a bit counter productive too!

30 April - Ingliston crit

2 May - Drumlanrig Tearfund

6 May - WOSCA

7 May - Ingliston crit

10 May - Etape Caledonia

13 May - WOSCA

14 May - Ingliston crit

• 2024 Subscriptions

Great idea Paul, and as Chung says you are the right person for the job. May I take this opportunity to wish all the racers a successful season, whatever your goals are. Even though I won't be racing myself, I still look forward to training rides with the team.

Cheers

Darryl

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great idea Paul, and as Chung says you are the right person for the job. May I take this opportunity to wish all the racers a successful season, whatever your goals are. Even though I won't be racing myself, I still look forward to training rides with the team.

Cheers

Darryl

Darryl, as the only person in the club who looks anything like a cyclist, you should be racing.

I understand that fatherhood & snake breeding take precedence these days but if you were to reconsider I'd happily be your water carrier.

Or Just drive you to events & shout at you every time you go past. :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

So I have monitored bogs bunch progress and noted the form of our team. And it's time for the first assignment of the season. It's a bit of fun and gives a purpose to next Saturday's ride. If anyone at all uncomfortable with their role just tell me. For the sake of team you should let me know at Largs if you don't think you can do it.

Team mission - get Alex B over the line first at next Saturday's bogs bunch.

How it will be done,

First of all Iain, me, Alex, Alan to get in line 3km from home, in that order. Somewhere near back of remaining bunch.

Role 1 - Iain. The take control role. From approx 500m ( over the top of the final drag I think ) wind it up as hard as you can. You are responsible for pulling us to the front and bossing the bunch for 200m. Then drift to the side into the prevailing wind.

Role 2 - me. The final lead out. Sprint off Iain's wheel as hard as I would for the line. But I am going 150m earlier than I am able to sprint full out for. My job is to ensure no one can come up to challenge for the sprint and to give Alex an air pocket. Then drift off and leave Alex.

Role 3 - Alex. Nominated sprinter role. When you have luxury of lead out your responsibility is to come off the wheel at a point you believe you can accelerate all the way to the line. Difficult to gauge but only one way to find out. And fight every cm to the line.

Role 4 - Alan. Sweeper role. Job is to stay on Alex's wheel and not, absolutely not, let anyone else into the line. Same applies to me and Alex. Purpose is that anyone who latches on has at least 2 bike lengths to make up in the final 150m or so. When Alex goes you keep riding but do not sprint. Yes it's annoying for others but it's what a lot of the pro teams do. You have this role because you are not confident in your jumping gears !

Any other JWCC present in the final 2km has 3 options

1) wild card attack whenever you like to make someone else work

2) join in the train behind Alan to give double sweeper coverage

3) if you are feeling good join the train behind Iain and in front of me but you must let Iain know so he can start earlier. And be confident you can keep it stringed out for 200m

I believe we can do this. My only doubt can be summed up in two words. Greg O. He is capable of coming from 6 back to rip the sprint. I know how to deal with that and it would involve multiple attacks from the bottom of the Kilwinning drag to get him pumped but that would leave a very unpredictable and shredded bunch coming into the final so would not be as much fun and practice opportunity for the team.

So have think and make your commit either public or privately,

This plan is based on current predictable form so please do not take offence if I not included you in the specific roles. There are at least 4 guys I expect may be present and ready to slot in between Iain and me.

:)