Road Race team

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

I am honoured to be nominated for the road race El capitano role and have been giving it some thought. If you wish to be part of a team effort that's great, if you want to race and do your own thing then no worries please do not feel under any pressure to join in. Here is how we might do things, happy for constructive comments and additions,

- we each enter as many of the WOSCA series races that we can manage

- before each race I will propose a race plan based on my observation of people's form at the time and the course, I am totally open to other suggestions,

- whatever debate happens we will agree a race plan,

- things happen in a race like punctures (tyres or legs!), crash etc. In this case I will use my experience when a quick call is required to change the plan.

- where appropriate we will use team members to flog themselves for the team effort. Conversely where the rider ambition is more aligned to a different goal like finishing in the bunch then I will give best advice I can for rider to achieve that goal

- I strongly recommend each member tries to get a few bogs bunch runs under their belt between now and March

- I also recommend that when out with bogs bunch, gauge your effort to try and get as far into the last 15 miles as possible. This is the highest quality and best prep for road racing. ( eg take a break for 10 miles pre Kilwinning if it gets you more of the quality time)

- Finally I strongly recommend 4 weeks of one session per week of short, very high intensity intervals starting 1st week February. I will post my recommendation after talking to my learned coach friend Billy Mac as he will be more up to date and know the type of program a lot of you guys are following.

Welcome any comments, private or public

:)

• Life Members

Hi Paul,

Excellent idea, good on you for taking on such an important role & I personally think you're the right man for the job.

I wish you & the team all the best in the coming year! Mon' the Joansins! :-)

If you ever need a team mechanic, then I know a guy who's quite handy ;-)

Anyway, I look forward to reading all the race reports!

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good stuff. Although make sure you get the domestiques to work for you too if the race suits you best!

At the moment i wont be any use but hopefully will have lost some weight by then.

Regardless of weight i'll be doing some crits again (touch wood i am injury free) and then use the Thursday night bunch as a measure to see how im doing - basically if im not in sight of the racers going up the Clune then there isnt going to be much point entering anything with so much as a speedbump in it.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sounds really good Paul. For those of us who have never raced, would it be an idea to get a few races in before the WOSCA series just to get a feel for it?

The Fenwick one would be good to start as it is an APR - This means different groups are seeded with a time gap inbetween, the faster groups set off later on so they need to catch the ones in front before the finish. I'm not sure who does the seeding but as a new racer you'll probably have a good chance of being in the first group.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I've entered Fenwick APR today. It's usually over subscribed coming early in the season but worth registering. There are other APRs running early in the season that some of the other race guys from other clubs compete in too

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ian - yes definetly a good idea to get some races in as early as possible.

Andy - yes social sounds good, team bonding etc.

date in mind?

If we're looking at a Friday then later in February is good for me or midweek more flexible. Main this is to have a wee get together before season starts?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Recommended sessions of 1 per week from early Feb. after consultation with chief coach. Can the chief coach maybe fill in the missing figure in number 3 please. If you don't know your FTP then do number 2.

1. 20 min warm similar to FTP test, ie 2 mins each from effort level 3 to 7 (10 mins) Then 4 x 1 min very high cadence, low resistance with 1 min rest inbetween. Spin for 2 mins. 20 mins so far. Now the meat. 1 min substantially above FTP ( approx 20% ). Then 2 mins just over FTP. This is the critical bit and also the hardest, you cannot drop below FTP. At the end of 2 mins full gas sprint for 15 secs as if your life depended on it. So it's a 3.25 min effort. Rest for 2.75 min to make a 6 min cycle then repeat. Aim is 5 repeats.

So by way of example. If FTP=300W then the 1 min should be at 360W. And the 2 mins must not drop below 300W at any time and should average about 305W. The full gas sprint is whatever you can squeeze out. Don't worry if it feels like a damp squib after the preceding 3 mins!

In the spirit of sharing and transparency I have never managed more than 4 repeats sticking to the rules above. Recommended to have at least one rest day beforehand.

2. Same warm up. Then full gas sprint every minute on the minute for 6 minutes. The most important bit is full gas, this means everything you have.1st = 5s, 2nd = 10s, 3rd and 4th = 15s, 5th = 10s, 6th = 5s.

Spin inbetween. Note max power output on 3rd sprint and aim to achieve that figure for each sprint thereafter. After the 6 min block spin for 4 mins. Then repeat to make 12 sprints in total. Total session to this point 36 mins so even with warm down this is a short and effective session.

3. Warm up. 2 mins at power output XX% above FTP. 1 min rest. Repeat 5 times. Spin 5 mins. Repeat to make 10 x 2 min efforts in total. Power output of 3rd effort must be maintained for the remaining intervals.

Alan McB after injury maybe gets a bye on these until later February as you need to have a solid base to get the benefit.

Purpose of these is to better cope with the surges and hills in road races and the multiple little accelerations you need to stay in position.

Finally, there is a wonderful get out of these painful sessions if you do the track league each week as this achieves the same benefit !

:)

For the third one assuming you know your zones hold top end zone 5 if you can the main focus on this is the recovery time no more than 60 seconds

The recovery can be from zone 1 to 3 but would recommend zone 1

This is a short term muscle endurance session and is hard it allows your legs to react to short high power outages frequently

Don't worry if you can't hold the watts as long as you stay top end zone 4 you will get the required effect

So watts 110 % plus preceded rate of exertion 8 plus