Strava

Alan McLean

Ritchie - nice try on the Auchengree climb last week but not quite quick enough to knock me of the number one spot I've held since june!!

:grin: I know!!! Felt quite good as well but I feel I can do better.

Any excuses will be....could've been warmed up better and I hadn't recced it properly so thought the finish was further away.

Can't believe I'm still KOM on the Big Dippler in Kilbirnie!

I aim to have a go at the Beith golf course climb soon Hello, beer !!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Yeah, came back from skiing feeling great, so went out for a good blast on Tuesday, Felt good all the way round, but as soon as I got off the bike my left knee was sore. Now been sitting around with ice packs and ibuprofen for the last two days, when I could have been out on the road!!!

Hopefully a gentle spin on the turbo today.

Hey ho! You live and learn. Well, sometimes you learn! A wee bit of help.

:-?

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Ramsay,

Should this persist I reccomend a visit to my man Vadim Kolganov at paisley therapy centre.

He's a Russian wrestling champion & an ace physio with hands the size of paddy bonner's.

The wrestling bit only matters if you welch on the bill!

Get well soon!

• 2 months later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Worth a read! http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-21716686

The second paragraph states "Two deaths have been linked to the service." What they haven't mentioned is that a serious knee tendon injury has also been linked to the service, which has resulted in the rider not even sitting on a bike for two and a half months, more than likely leading to a second missed race season in a row! :oops:icon_bawling:roll:

R

• 1 month later...

After assisting with the APR went for a run down to Kilwinning and thought .... hmmm - thats a strong south west wind so tried to improve some Strava positions.

On Zooooom pulled myself up to 2nd place (only 8 s behind the enigmatic Homer Simpson). Broke the 4 minute barrier.

On the climb out of Kilwinning got myself up to 2nd place - only 6 s behind no.1!!

So I am the fastest JWCC guy on these sections.

I am still holding KOM on Auchengree climb since last June.

So come on you guys don't let the old grandad beat you!!

Specifically Auchengree is a local farm within the parish of Beith. The strava section referred to I presume is a hill of minor note coming out of the small Garnock Valley settlement of Longbar, on the road towards the even smaller settlement of Highfield. Forms part of route 7 to Kilwinning.

Points of note are the local vets surgery and a very good farm shop not far over the summit. Gradient is probably small ring but only just. Road surface pretty poor - loose gravel, ruts and potholes. Care should be taken if descending due to the junction with a main road at the bottom of the hill.

I'm sure Davie B could provide those so interested with additional info as I believe he hails from these parts.

M

• 2 weeks later...

Like most app type things strava is beyond me however the only section which could be classed as a definable hill is the short section from Longbar community centre to the vets, dead short and big ring all the way - if you want to do a decent time and ride compact. It is rough at the bottom. This is on the classed cycle route so must be loads of stravaistas doing it. The rolling section beyond the farm shop to highfield would not be auchengree to my knowledge.