Strava

Alan McLean

• Committee

I am late to the party but now signed up to Strava, thanks Duncan.

If you have gps enabled Android phone then hill times are automatically uploaded and compared to others.

No need to start/stop the app. It just extracts the hill segments as you ride.

Highly recommended.

Jwcc are dominating west Glen road and monkey house. Paul has johnshill in lochwinnoch sorted.

Don't recognise the top clune climbers.

Hours of endless fun ahead.

I presume there is an iPhone app too.

No driving up climbs mind.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Have just found Paul McDonald, Jann, Duncan, Colin McPhee and a couple of others. Will need to go out tomorrow and blast up some hill that no one ever rides!

Quick question? - How do you set the bottom and top of a hill? Does it just know from elevation etc?

Must get back to studying now. Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Jann, you are down as QOM on one of the hills I was looking at! :grin::grin:Hello, beer !!

Grieg & Elaine - As of 30mins ago, there were only 4 people in the JWCC section. All you need to do is sign up and then search for club and click join. Most of the people I mentioned above are not actually "club members" of the JWCC through Strava.

R

• Committee

Ramsay: re. bottom and top of climbs.

Firstly, you can zoom in to get a pretty good idea of landmarks within a few metres.

Then when you are cycling the app automatically logs when you cross the invisible start/stop lines and presents this as a "segment". No need to do anything on the ride, just remember not to ease up until you are sure you have crossed the "finish" of the segment. (Not that we are competitive)

I think you have to upload Garmin data by cable but my Android phone just automatically dumps the data online when I get back within range of my wifi. No fiddly cables.

You can blame Duncan who has already tried to grab all the local climbs and is still monkey house KOM Hello, beer !!

We may need to log some new start points. For instance; monkey house starts at the junction rather than the lowest point so it registers a rather unimpressive 1.6%. Clune looks ok but named "wrong". Looks like a year's worth of fun including tt courses, hills, race circuits etc.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

There we go! KOM on Bowfiled and Barcraigs (which is extended Bowfield). :grin::icon_yes

As an engineer who likes numbers, figures, data etc, this app is great for me. Albeit there is a bit of "Big Brother is watching you" about it.... :shock:

R

If you take a membership it does an estimate of your power ouput at different parts of the ride based on your weight and that of the bike don't ask me how it works but I have found it really useful. Oh and downside - I started off trying to whack down my times on certain climbs, but you really just knacker yourself for the rest of the ride. So now I just take each one as it comes and have a go at it legs feel good

Colin :smash

Great wee app having fun on commute now dodging estate cars and sprinting past diagios in Renfrew ;-)

Alan geek in the corner here.

Once you've found a bit of road not claimed by Duncan ride it, go home and upload session. On the Strava website look at the ride dtat and go to bottom right hand corner and click on the "Create a New Segment". It's simples from there on in.

:icon_butting_comp

• Committee

Cycled to Edinburgh on Sunday and downloaded the trip.

Weary resignation again.Guess who was in top ten of every segment of every glass littered, Buckfast spattered lane from London Road to Shotts? Our own Duncan Thomson.

I swear he must go out in the car every night, on cruise control at 16mph, logging GPS data by the gigabyte.

He has also extended his reach to Argyll but nice to see Richard is in on the act now.

Also chapeau to Jann the Obscure for logging 10kph on a 1k stretch through Milton Wood in Kilmacolm.