Strava

Alan McLean

• 2023 Subscriptions

Anyone know how to get yourself back on to a segment if you have been excluded? I have done the climb into Beith about 5 times (and was KOM!) and now on all the rides I have done on it, it doesn't register that I've ever ridden it at all! :-?A wee bit of help.

Also, while I'm on, I saw the following on Braveheart. Probably quite sensible!

I know there are quite a few folk on here who use Strava. I put this on our club forum but thought it best to put it up here too.

It's really easy for people to find your house on Strava if you don't block the location of your house in your privacy settings.

Here are a few tips.

1. Block your home address and any other places your bike could get stolen from using the privacy settings. Hover over your name on the top-right of the screen and select 'Privacy'. Then give the location a name, put the full address in and hit 'Apply'

2. Don't list your bikes by model. In fact I wouldn't list more than one bike in the gear section at all. If you do you're telling people there's a few bikes worth stealing at your house.

3. Make your profile only viewable by signed-in Strava members. I haven't done this but you can set this in the Privacy section also.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ramsay,

I hid home address and gave a wide radius bowever I lost my West Glen road climb as it was within this area.

I promptly reviewed this as I had just toppled McLean from his perch :rockband

Try putting the rides in again and they may reappear

duncan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Duncan,

Thanks. I'm not sure how to reload the rides from my phone. It seems to be only one segment that has gone, because on all 4 of the rides, it still shows all the other segments I rode over. Strange!

It is "Climb into Beith" and Paul McD is now back as KOM (not that I'm suggesting for a moment that he has doctored it!). ;-)

I have checked my privacy "black out" around my house, and it is no where near the segment.

Hey ho!

R

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Right, a wee bit of an update on my missing segments.

I decided to email the Strava help with the issue. They came back to me very quickly and following a few emails back and forth (to a real person in Strava HQ - somewhere in the States), they have actually reloaded all my rides! Turns out that when I was playing with the privacy settings I had deleted segments and unless reloaded from their server, they would have been lost.

I have emailed a few help desks etc over the years, but I can honestly say that the quick service and friendlyness of the guy that was helping me was like a breath of fresh air. Can't speak highly enough, especially as I'm a non paying Strava member!

Got my KOM back! Oh ya dancer !;-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul - I was along it on the TT bike about two or three weeks ago at full race pace, with a good westerly, but forgot to turn on Strava! Usually it is my warm up, but now the gaunlet has been laid.... watch this space! :grin::grin:

Alan - I will attempt a local 1000m in under 2 hours in a few months, and have a good route in mind.

R

Paul, while strava is much fun its only drawback is you have to remember to switch it on! Usually the mobile is stuffed in a plastic bag with cash and card then deposited in the pocket and promptly forgotten about. I have problems working out which day of the week it is and remembering bottles.

However as the gauntlet has been thrown down I'll try to strava that stretch on the commute sometime.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

Went out on a mission today to do the 1000m/2h challenge.

Duly warmed up and got to start point.

Got stuck in and got to finish point after 1h 58m 44s - good timing.

Whipped out my phone in great anticipation after grovelloing up every local hill I could find (strictly no piece of road covered twice in same direction) to terminate the ride and wheeeyhay - I did a 2 sec ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must have paused the goddam phone when I put it back in my pocket Stoooopid!

Oh well good workout ahead of Millport :-?

no banana

• 2023 Subscriptions

OK I'm sitting pretty knackered, so I took all the start and finish elevations along the route on Google earth and, as god is my witness, I reckon I climbed 1075m.

I realise there will be doubting Thomas's amongst you but I have a warm fuzzy feeling anyway, so there

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ok, so my timing was a bit out, but 1350m in 2:29. I could probably crop the ride to make it work out, but that is not quite in the spirit of things! :grin:

Forgot suntan cream, so slightly pink, and also ran out of juice, so had to stop for more! But what a day! 8-)

Off for a shower and then an afternoon of study! :-(

• 2023 Subscriptions
Went out on a mission today to do the 1000m/2h challenge.

Duly warmed up and got to start point.

Got stuck in and got to finish point after 1h 58m 44s - good timing.

Whipped out my phone in great anticipation after grovelloing up every local hill I could find (strictly no piece of road covered twice in same direction) to terminate the ride and wheeeyhay - I did a 2 sec ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must have paused the goddam phone when I put it back in my pocket Stoooopid!

Oh well good workout ahead of Millport :-?

no banana

No strava: No Ride Whaur's the party, then?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul,

I used linthills, muirshiel (via the glen road), jonshill and up a bit of the kilmacolm road, off shoot up to Weels farm (past Kaim), then over to Johnstone for the Auchengreoch (?spelling) climb, down the Elliston (which is nicely re-surfaced for about 1/2), then up the Bowfield taking first left after Bowfield itself. Finally back via the wee roads around J&S Mongomerys (John Deere place) and over the back of the Beith Golf Club.

Three of the hills were literally out, dead turn and then back down, but I don't think that breaks any rules!

There were two staggered cross road junctions where I technically did the same stretch twice, but no more than 10m distance each junction. (i.e. - I came in from west then took north, then next time I came in from south and took east). Need to check whether staggered junctions are acceptable, but I'm sure Alan or others will advise?? :-?

Suntan/burn now quite obvious. :oops: Legs also know they have been out on a ride! :roll::grin:

R

• Committee

Ramsay

Well done but how far did you get in the first two hours? I think the rule is you have to hit pause/stop at 2 hours.

It definitely hurts putting that much climbing into a shortish ride. By comparison your Thursday chaingang only logged about 270m!

Rules (by me) say that you cannot climb the same hill twice so it's ok to repeat a downhill but not an uphill.

I will look at this much more closely if you claim the first 1000m/2 hour ride!

I tried going over to Phil's/BoW/Barnbrock yesterday but only did 750m in 1.45 so I'll need to do hills around Langbank/the Port and Greenock if I want to get this.

(Too hot today! How often does that happen?)

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yip, I had a lot of up, dead turn, down, along to next bit etc. Also if there was any off shoot with a bit of altitude gain then it was divert, up, down, back to original climb. Basically if there is any opportunity to climb without repeat then do it

Oh ya dancer !

Nice challenge Alan it taxes the brain and the legs

• 2023 Subscriptions

Alan,

Difficult to remember to stop on phone, but will try again sometime.

Looking at the profile now, I had 5mins just before the 2hrs was up standing in Keystore Howwood waiting to pay for my juice!! :angryfire

My elevation on the ride seems to have dropped a few hundred feet between the computer and my phone. Not sure why. A wee bit of help.

R

- Have just created a new segment called "Alan's two hour challenge" for the first 2 hours of my ride, but frustratingly it doesn't show total elevation gain!! Any computer "geeks" know how to do it?

I'm going to try for the 1000 metres in 2 hours on Saturday if my legs are feeling up to it... Reckon I'll go from mine, up to the substation above Greenock, up the old Largs road, down to inverkip, dead turn, back up and over Brisbane Glen Road into Largs.

I may have to turn around and go back over that too!