Full Coastal Blast 8 Jan 2012

Guest EPCC

This weeks learning objective is keeping the pace steady no rapid increase and no slowing it right down either it should be a steady long bunch ride those who break the rules shall be slapped across the face with a wet fish

Who gave Billy his stripes?

Is it at all possible to inject a bit more speed along the coast?

We tend to start off at a good pace then are dawdling by Woodhall? What is the point in this?

I'm puzzled as to why I am shouted at for nicking the pace "up"

to what can only be described as a respectable pace but it's

ok for the skinnies to blast away on the hills. This isny fair :-?

n.b there wouldn't have been a regroup atop the Haylie if

it wasn't for me ensuring decorum was restored. Those left

behind would have had 20 miles on their own. Don't thank me,

I'm just a nice guy that way.

In summary-this is a club run but there is an obligation for those attending to have a reasonable level of fitness to enable them to keep up and Billy isny in charge.

El Capitano.

El capitano note I did not say slower pace or faster pace I did say steady pace I think that a gradual increase along the coast is fine as long as we wait at BB for those.who wish to stay in zone 2 anyway I posted the run therefore I am sparticus

Anyway thought you weren't out to play this Sunday

One Lung saying long steady miles at an appropriate pace to encourage those of a lesser fitness to improve (based on my experience from last year this will happen) while still being part of the bunch and hopefully to come back for more, and give those with two working lungs a decent run out too. Not too slow as to iritate Davie B's or Hincapie's sensibilities or too fast to be spitting people out the back at regular intervals. Have no problem if pace picks up in last 10 or so, eg from Bishy/Erskine back to Johnstone or from the top of the Haylie Brae/West Kilbride into Kilbirnie depending on route and assuming bunch is together and working as a unit. Those that want to work can do so, those who can't or staying in level two can sit in.

I'd suggest all the usual faces in the bunch are at slightly different stages of fitness and various training programs, added to which there are always guys dipping in and out of the bunch due to family/work commitments which will impact on the ave speed of the bunch; a happy medium is required. It is a bunch ride and should remain as such for the most part. Ideally no one should get left behind as that sucks big time but at the same time if your off the back you should make an effort to get back in the bunch and stay there after a tow - yes, we've all been there. I think we need to go with the flow depending who is in the bunch at any given time. There are those who can happily sit at 20+ mph and those who can't (yet). Getting a kicking on the Westferry or any other part of the coast should remain pretty much the preserve of a Thursday evening as and when the lighter evenings arrive or as part of the bogs bunch or indeed as wheel hinger on a PMcD 2up!, not on a sunday run. As for the hills? 'mon the waifs, we'll wait at the top.

Probably a good problem to have all things considered. Shows that the main bunch on the whole has retained a good level of base fitness if we're grumbling about being too slow this early in the year.

One Lung has spoken

• 2024 Subscriptions

I agree with all the above. The bunch can be quicker except when it should be slower. And El Capitano is in charge except when Billy or one lung is. Those that are fitter or faster can do longer spells on the front except when they don't want to or someone not as fast wants to inject a bit less pace. :lol:

Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Billy, glad u agree with me, one lung, too many big words made me glaze over halfway thru your post but u seem to agree so that's grand. Darryl, your post made the most sense but can't be considered as you are currently a "non dom" so, all things considered, let's just see who turns up on Sunday and I'll decide what to do. Btw-should anyone wish to nip ahead of the group to take a comfort break or put on a rain cape just be sure to clear it with me first, regards, Le Patron.

I think it's the full coast to Ardrossan & home with a stop at the bagel basket altho Billy is the route master & Mark is in charge of catering. I'm just there to add a dash of panache.

What!!!!...as one of the few voices of sanity on the vexed subject of pace during last years "Westferrygate" I somewhat resent being sullied by Onelung associating me with the "fast" boys who want to rip the legs of the rest of us.

There are enough "bunches" formed to ensure that each can find their level and improve - if they wish to do so. Dropping people particularly at this time of year and with current weather conditions is not a particularly good idea on a Sunday run, unless the droppees have given consent based on an informed decision or the run is advertised as a "kicking" session. As others have said Renfra and Anniesland are available for the purposes of faster training runs and getting dropped if you are not up for it.

Billy, if you are indeed Sparticus, then the JWCC "players" acting out the parts originally occupied by Tony Curtis and co will remain sitting on their backsides and pointing you out whilst refuelling in the Bagel Basket ...

icon_rolling_smile

Billy, you do remind me of that famous Italian, whats his name

again? Marco? Francesco? Gianni? Oh aye, that's him, Luciano!

a singer of songs and (apparently) a greggs gold card holder!