Tour of Flanders - The Final Count Down

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sorry to all non Flanders people, but the other threads are getting a bit long and confusing, so I thought it was time to start yet another thread for all the Flanders guys.

Here’s my random thoughts and bit of a checklist for our last few days of countdown to departure!

I have now fitted all four bike racks on the car and tried with four bikes and it fits (just). I’ll take a few bits of old cloth to wrap round on contact points. Davie B – I will maybe try and pick up your new rack at the weekend and check it fits. Don’t want to leave it until the day to find out it doesn’t work.

A quick Google of timings from Beith to Hull shows it about 5hrs 15mins. So given that I’ll have four bodies in the car and four bikes on the roof, and to allow for legs stretching stops I reckon 6 hours. I’ll also need to stop off in Glengarnock, Linwood and West End (Kenny & Richard – can you please let me know exactly where). We have to check in by LATEST 17:00, so aim to be there for 16:30. Can I suggest Glengarnock at 09:50, Linwood at 10:10 and West End at 10:40?

I’m taking a sat nav with European roads, so should hopefully not get Lost!!

Kenny C is on my insurance as a second driver and will have a second key for the end of the day. Will have temp insurance cert with me, as it’s required on the continent.

On the assumption that we are leaving cars at the end of the ride (Nivone) on the Friday, I am taking a full change of warm clothes to leave in the car, as it may be a long wait for others, especially if there is nowhere else to wait and if people have mechanicals etc.

Passport (ID) and European Health Card are laid out.

Car has all things for Europe except the headlight thingys, which I’ll pick up on the boat.

I’m taking a “picnic†for dinner etc on the boat.

There was talk of convoy down the road. I’m not too fussed and happy enough to meet at Hull.

Can’t think of anything else.

Long range forecast shows reasonably mild temp (15 degrees), but a chance of precipitation. 8-)

Cheers,

R Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Cheers for the update....let me know when you want to pick up carrier our when (and where) I can drop it off.

Will probably be out with the bunch most of the day Sunday but other than that should be a home bound weekend getting the bike ready - I might even clean it!!

Cheers,

Davie

It's an offence to drive without the convertets as they stop the light shining in the eyes of johnny foreigner however if we ate not driving at night you may not nerd them but if like France police can do spot checks and on the spot fines

• 2023 Subscriptions

Alan,

The headlight adapters cost about £5 and take 5mins to fit (instructions are really easy). They can take about 30mins to get the glue back off though! I will hopefully pick up a set at Hull and fit them as we wait for the boat.

Most of what you need to know is here, including a section on booze cruises -

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... dvice.html

Looks like the AA advice on carrying beer back is don't break your cars suspension! Hello, beer !!

Cheers,

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Darryl, James, Tom

I have taken a leaf from Ramsay's book and thought it would be a good idea to get a 2nd person insured for my car.

Could you pm me in confidence please and let me know,

1) are you willing to drive if required

2) how many points you have - if any

3) Number of years driving

I'm thinking 10.30 depart Lochwinnoch - James you had mentioned maybe teaming up with Tom and bringing your bikes to mine and leaving your van at my house - is this still ok?

Darryl we could collect you on route - of course you are welcome to leave car here as well is you want.

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well guys, the time has almost come to see if all your hard training over the winter has paid off, i'm sure it will have done Hello, beer !!Hello, beer !! Hope you all have a great time and yourselves and your collection of carbon/titanium and alloy all come back in one piece Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Look forward to reading the race reports, i'm sure there will one or two tales to tell :lol: Billy, remember to pack the body armour ;-)

Ian....