Flanders 2011

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have managed to pick up a sickness bug so wont be able to make tonight table booked for 2030 macdonald

Have a good night and post if we decide how we are getting to Flanders and which route we are doing

:angryfire

• 2023 Subscriptions

Not going to make it tonight. Slightly broken following very late night on top of existing cold. I've also got another night out tomorrow!

From my quick look at the posts, my preference is for driving and overnight ferry. It gives us cars at the other end and is far less hassle than lots of folks flyIng with bikes etc and then having to sort transport at far end. I'm happy to take my Passat, with three or four others. I have roof bars and plan to buy two bike racks, so can probably fit another two or three racks on top if we can borrow more.

In terms of the ride itself, I'm going to do the full ride.

Sorry to not make it tonight.

R

• 2024 Subscriptions

Lots of details to be worked out, but I'll start the ball rolling.

It was decided that:

1. The ferry option was the best. Thursday evening from Hull. Return Sunday, arriving Hull Monday am. James has priced this up, but I cannot remember what is was (very reasonable I recall).

2. The full dstance had to be attempted :shock:

(Although EOL makes some last minute wimping out for the short (140km) route possible).

3.Staying in Bruges is good.

4. We need to start training soon(!) 260km is a long way. Martin had some definite ideas about this. If the weather allows, I suggest we do a few long steady rides as 'squad' fairly soon. We can add specific 'berg' training in the new year!

So we need a definitive list of people going. A rough count indicated more than 10. Judging by those who have posted we have the following:

Darryl

Paul Mcd

Ramsay

Martin Mul (+ 2 or 3 others)

Richard

James

Davie B

Al Yuille

Kenny Mac

Charlie

Kenny Mac

Tom Hill

Kenny Christie

Assuming four people per car, that's a minimum of four cars. As far as I know, the following have said they are happy to take their vehicles:

Martin

Paul McD

Ramsay

Charlie

So I guess we need to organise into cars, book the ferry (James could you post details), and decide where to stay (cyclist friendly hotel in Bruges?).

Bring it on!

Darryl

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Daryll.

I was looking at the entries page of the RVV website. It does have a group entry form (for 10 people or over), but it doesn't appear to save you any money or make a difference at all. Therefore, I am going to register myself for the 260km, which means I'll be committed and not give myself an excuse to change my mind on the day!

I'll also look at picking up two bike racks, so will still need to borrow two.

If James is posting details of the ferry, I'll get that booked up as well.

With one ride on my bike in the last three weeks, I've taken the winter lay off a bit too literally (again), so as of last night the training for next season has started. Looking forward to some long winter rides.

R

• 2023 Subscriptions
Martin's solution is to drive to the finish and leave the cars, catch the train home.

D

This was our schedule last time:

Thursday night ferry, Zeebrugge breakfast time, dump the bags at a hotel in bruges, drive to ninove by lunchtime, orientation ride up the Kaaplemuur and Bosberg (just so you can visualise the last 30km) and onto the finish line. Leave the car (and some spare kit to change into after the 260km effort) in Ninove then train back to Bruges. Big dinner, kip then early start on Saturday morning.

Get to Ninove 17 bergs later, have a beer and frites, then jump into the clean dry clothes and car and wheech back up the road to Bruges. Plenty beer and scoff, tales of heroic deeds etc, and then collapse. Up at 8 on Sun morning to see the grande depart.

Re group entry: the last time we went they didn't send the rider packs out in the mail. Having a group entry meant picking up one (big) packet of rider numbers, brevet cards etc. Made it a wee bit easier than everyone having to queue. Plus it means everyone's committed!

M

• 2024 Subscriptions
Martin's solution is to drive to the finish and leave the cars, catch the train home.

D

This was our schedule last time:

Thursday night ferry, Zeebrugge breakfast time, dump the bags at a hotel in bruges, drive to ninove by lunchtime, orientation ride up the Kaaplemuur and Bosberg (just so you can visualise the last 30km) and onto the finish line. Leave the car (and some spare kit to change into after the 260km effort) in Ninove then train back to Bruges. Big dinner, kip then early start on Saturday morning.

Get to Ninove 17 bergs later, have a beer and frites, then jump into the clean dry clothes and car and wheech back up the road to Bruges. Plenty beer and scoff, tales of heroic deeds etc, and then collapse. Up at 8 on Sun morning to see the grande depart.

Re group entry: the last time we went they didn't send the rider packs out in the mail. Having a group entry meant picking up one (big) packet of rider numbers, brevet cards etc. Made it a wee bit easier than everyone having to queue. Plus it means everyone's committed!

M

Indeed :uzi

• 2023 Subscriptions

Based on Martin's advice that a group entry will make things quicker and easier on the day, and in order to "encourage" commitment, should I do a group entry form? :shock:

If there are enough people "committed", then I need the following info:

Name

Address

Sex (just incase not obvious)

Date of Birth

Medal for finishing (5 Euros extra)

Cycling Jersey (45 Euros extra), inc size.

T-Shirt (10 Euros extra), inc size

Personal Video (2.5 Euros extra) - Not sure what this is, but from that part of Europe it can only be good!! ;-)

Post here to confirm group booking yes or no. If yes, then PM me your details.

Cheers,

R

The Ferry price at the time i checked came to £310 including car, bikes on roof rack, and 4 persons sharing an inboard cabin. It would be a further £178 if meals where included. As it's 600 miles round trip i calculated fuel costs at £110 i.e. averaging 30 miles to gallon at £5.50 per gallon. Cost of travel i expect would be £310 + £110 split 4 ways = £105 each, perhaps a bit more depending on fuel costs, and more still if meals where to be included.

James