Flanders 2011

• 2023 Subscriptions

So who's interested? I've not done too many sportives, but then again, I can't imagine there are too many better than this one. (Tour of Lombardy might be, Paris Roubaix is done at the wrong time of the year, others cost too much money).

De Ronde is cheap, easy to enter (EOL for goodness sake) and run off over hallowed ground. The event is very well supported / catered: well signposted, marshalled, great feed stations and there's even a beer and frites tent at the end. And of course, as Davy has already pointed out, you get to watch the pros do it the next day, while you're drinking some of the best beer going. Quite satisfying watching them walk up a hill you've ridden up. :lol:

I've been twice, both times by overnight ferry from Hull. Boat goes to Zeebrugge, and it's less than an hour down to Brugge. We went overnight on the Thursday, rode Friday, did the RVV Saturday, watched the race Sunday, and then jumped on the evening sailing to get back home Monday afternoon. It's pretty easy to fly to Belge too, but then you've got the palaver of bikes, bags and maybe hiring a car.

The first time we did the short version - approx 140km but including all the fun cobbled bits (http://www.sport.be/cyclingtour/rondevanvlaanderen/2008/eng/parcours/hellingen/). Great fun, authentic RVV weather (rain, wind and sleet). Logistically this one's easy to do, as it starts and finishes in the same place. We stayed in Brussels and drove to the start.

Second time around we went for the full bhuna, starting in Brugge at 7 in the morning and ending up 255km later in Meerebeke. (It was sunny though, so not the real deal. Cobbles weren't nearly slippy enough). This is more of a challenge, since you end up about 150km away from your digs. For this we took the car down to the finish on the Friday afternoon, went for a loosener on a few of the climbs, and then took the train back to Brugge for an evening of carbo loading. Then when we finished the ride on Saturday we had the car waiting for a quick hurl back to the digs and beer.

On Sunday it was up early to see the pros sign on and watch the depart. Back to the hotel for breakfast and then hop in the car for a trip down to watch the riders attack the Koppenberg (only 600m, but a max gradient of 22%). Cancellara snapped his chain on this one and had to pack the race. Once they were through we went on to the RVV museum in Oudenaarde (http://www.rvv.be/en/museum) to watch the last 4 or 5 bergs and the finale in their cinema. Or you could stand in their bar (pints pulled by Freddy Maertens, ex world champ). Either way, brilliant to be in a cycling crowd watching a race.

There are lots of places to watch the race though. Geraardsbergen is a massively popular spot - big square, bars, huge video screens - at the start of the Kaplemuur.

Some of my pics at

and

How about a Belgian evening to discuss? I have, sorry my children have the tour of flanders board game. (It's a belter, honest). We could meet down the clubrooms, or in a pub. Interest?

M

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin - cheers for taking up the reins, I'm feeling a bit guilty now.

I was on some very bizarre ferry websites today :icon_butting_comp , so you have got further than me. the one price I managed to get was a bargain at £864 per FOOT passenger, the other times I didn't even get that far Stoooopid!

A pub night sounds no' a bad idea once we get a committed group together to try and finalise plans if only to see this board game first hand.

D

Was just having a look at ferry times etc. It seem's that P&O Hull to Zeebrugge sailing out Thursday 31st, back Sunday 3rd is only £236 for 4 berth cabin no meals, or £415.60 with all meals incuded. Sailing times are 18:30 - 08:45 going out and 19:00 - 08:15 returning. This is with a car and 4 sharing, seem's like a really good price. This was on P&O's own website.

James

• 2023 Subscriptions
Was just having a look at ferry times etc. It seem's that P&O Hull to Zeebrugge sailing out Thursday 31st, back Sunday 2nd is only £236 for 4 berth cabin no meals, or £415.60 with all meals incuded. Sailing times are 18:30 - 08:45 going out and 19:00 - 08:15 returning. This is with a car and 4 sharing, seem's like a really good price. This was on P&O's own website.

James

Hi James,

big improvement on the price I had from anyoldferry.com (or something like that). Not sure about the grub on board. First time we went we didn't book the meals. 8 pints of hogaarden and a pasty seemed like a good idea at the time, although you'll have to ask Mark van Whitehead if the bottle of whisky chaser was wise. :shock:

Second time we had the buffet dinner - no great shakes really, but it soaks up the beer. Could always take pieces and have a drum up. Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions
Despite my harking at Dave, I am keen on this. Pub meeting sounds like a good start and i like the them of biere et frites!!

It would certainly be a warm up for the Etape Caledonia!!

Tom

Tom - this picture on the left here is your actual RVV frites, snapped at the end of the ride. Doused in ketchup and mayo of course (a wee trick stevie blom taught me).

You know you want to!

Was just having a look at ferry times etc. It seem's that P&O Hull to Zeebrugge sailing out Thursday 31st, back Sunday 3rd is only £236 for 4 berth cabin no meals, or £415.60 with all meals incuded. Sailing times are 18:30 - 08:45 going out and 19:00 - 08:15 returning. This is with a car and 4 sharing, seem's like a really good price. This was on P&O's own website.

James

Sorry i forgot to price in bikes on roof or on rear, :oops: this increases price by £50 still not that bad a price though.

James

Great to see so much interest in this, it must be the lure of the hallowed ground 8-)

James - fantastic work with the travel costs it is looking good.

Will we let the post run for a couple of weeks to see if anybody else is interested before meeting up?

The next obvious thing to consider is accomodation (location, budgets etc). I imagine the fellows who have braved the pave previously will have some thoughts on this as well.

This is just like being at work - shameless delegation Oh ya dancer !

Davie

• 2023 Subscriptions

Woah now. I hope I'm not misunderstanding things, but wondering if might need two threads here:

1. people who are up for a night in the pub Hello, beer !!

2. people who want to smash it over the cobbles in Flanders :smash

Of course it's entirely possible that you, like me, fall in to groups 1 and 2 Oh ya dancer !

BTW, only 9 days to the first cross race of the season. Perfect prep for those Belgian bergs and cobblestones.