Marmotte Pyrenees 26/08/18

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Folks

After chatting with Cedric (who is from the South, and who has ridden the event) and also recalling my own experiences of riding the same climbs in hot weather, I think we can be fairly certain the ride is going to be very hot indeed (unless it rains, but even then...). An hour plus, riding up consecutive cols raises the real risk of heat exhaustion or blowing and having to stop. The recent hot spell gives some idea of this.

For what it’s worth, I recommend riding with a heart rate monitor, and keeping it below your threshold (roughly the rate your body can continue to work). 

The reason I say heart rate and not power is simply that power is an objective measure, whereas heart rate is a measure of your body and its state of distress.

In the heat, heart rate is normally elevated (not depressed). So, it may well be that you can ‘normally’ put out 250 Watts/hour, but it would be a big mistake to try and do this in the heat up mountain passes. Trying to ride by power (unless in conjunction with heart rate) runs the risk of hitting the numbers at the cost of going too deep, and ending in a bit of a state. For more on the effects of heat on the body see:

https://www.active.com/articles/use-your-heart-monitor-to-keep-an-eye-on-heat-stress?page=1

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks for this, Darryl.

Some lower-tec advice from me, in my limited mountain riding experience:

buy a couple of cheap headbands-especially if you have a baldy dome like me. The sweat will blind you.

Also, even if you don’t usually wear mitts I’d recommend wearing a pair as gripping the hoods/bars can be tricky when perspiring heavily.

Perhaps most importantly: get your bike checked out-new brake pads would be good as you will be braking A LOT on the descents.

As for gearing: don’t be a hero & try to ride this on 53/39. Get a compact chainset on. I’m putting a 32 on the back.

Aye the potential heat is a concern - I had a quick look at "cool" vests similar to what we have for Mollie the dog, it's lightweight, you wet it and it keeps her cool.

Simple, however there seems to be nothing practical for humans/cycling, I know the pros' were wearing ice vest type things in one of the GT's a couple of years ago but other than that seems to be nothing that's actually practical.

• Members

guys after ending up in A&E with dehydration few weeks back a Sat and Sun ride in Scotland, yes I said Scotland, can't stress enough the need to drink loads. I plan to take loads of re-hydration powder with me and go at a snails pace up the hills.

Billy/George, red wine does not count as drinking loads......

Officially bricking it after seeing Darryl's earlier post

• 2023 Subscriptions

A wee reminder for those staying in Chateau Bison:

Our host supplies pillows. Bed sheets & bath towels can be hired for €15 per person.

Iain Carvill has previously  intimated he wishes to avail of this facility. Other individuals may feel faint at parting with €15 (the price of a pint over there)

Please let me know if you wish a towel and sheet so I can advise our host.

• 2023 Subscriptions
2 hours ago, Edvald BisonHagen said:

A wee reminder for those staying in Chateau Bison:

Our host supplies pillows. Bed sheets & bath towels can be hired for €15 per person.

Iain Carvill has previously  intimated he wishes to avail of this facility. Other individuals may feel faint at parting with €15 (the price of a pint over there)

Please let me know if you wish a towel and sheet so I can advise our host.

Aye for me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Can I just check that we have enough room in the vehicles for people & bikes?

Am I right in saying we have 13 people, 13 bikes and a van, a people carrier and a car?

Do we think everyone & their kit will fit? 

• Members

Is the ‘van’ a Trasit?  

From the last few days with McGinty if he booked a ‘Tranny’ to pick him up at the airport we could have problems.  If it is a big white van then that should take all the bike boxes etc. + 3 people

People Carrier: 7people

Car: 4 people, 5 at a squeeze.  So all depends on what the ‘van’ is.

The question is will there be 3 sober, competent drivers who can read a map?

• 2024 Subscriptions

Paid on both counts. Also just arranged to hire hardbox for the cervelo. Just taking minimum hand luggage so that’s not a problem, but I’m not sure that we will get 13 bike boxes in a transit. Maybe see if we can squeeze one in the car and/or minibus.

• 2024 Subscriptions
36 minutes ago, Moi said:

Daryl the van will take all the boxes but so far apart for the original 10 not all have paid , I have no intention of subsidising the others , so those who haven’t paid there share get your finger out 

i lnow cause I have had more in one 

OK Billy, but the link Jan just posted says a transit will take 8. We need to be sure!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.