High Mountains French Pyrenees

• 2023 Subscriptions

So it's all over Argles Gazhot is a fantastic place to stay if you want to hit the iconic climbs of the tour . IMO the roads are much better than Majorca and there are plenty of local sportives in the area Haut Route plus a Marrmotte to name a few .

So a quick resume of our week

Day 1

Cloudy day in the valley so we just thought in true JWCC tradition to miss the warm up and ride the Hautacam which was sort of nice as it wasn't overly hot after some time waiting for me we descended into thick cloud which made visibility practically zero, after a few k it cleared up , at the bottom we rode round towards cartress and decided that was enough for day 1

Day 2

Hot and sunny so what else Solour Abusique cracking climbs and the bike bikes look the part , Couttie managed to overtake two motorcycles on the way but great fun, we then decided to go back to Solour and go down into the back valley fantastic descent but long , talking about 45 minutes or so at the bottom it was really hot and we found Spandelles, this is not a well known climb but it is an absolute b####### don't know if it was the heat or the vultures circling above my head but I died a thousand deaths on this climb and eventually had to get off and walk , which gave the others great amusement as it took me close to an hour extra to get to the top

Day 3

Massive thunder storms so we ( me and Couttie ) went to Lourdes weird place

Day 4

Tourmalet Croix Blache cracking ride up over the tourmalet the descent was fantastic missed lunch by ten minutes the road round to Lourdes via Croix Blanche

Day 5

Big day for the boys they road up to Garni something but I decided against it and came back but took a wrong turn and ended up the Louis Ardeden brilliant descent no cars only locked up once due to being nackered

Day 6

Run over to Point Espagne for me Couttie and Al decided to do Ardeden on way back

Fantastic trip cheers to Daryl for finding this place plus found out that a 36 27 is too big for here

Will done Billy et al. Sounds like fun......on the way up! Slightly jealous. Should've run up the hill, a la Frome, when it got too hard to pedal.

One point though William, your report started out with expansive descriptive detail, but seemed to diminish for each subsequent day, until your prose merely took the form of place names and rider identities. Now that you are a pensioner (nearly) and have more time on your hands I expect a bit more effort on future reports of your cycling adventures as a retiree/older git. 

• 3 weeks later...