Dunlop RR

Alan Michael

Well riding in group 3 of the barmill circuit last week was tough but today was tougher, 8th on that occasion and 7th on glen taggart mid week (which was also hard with all the climbing and a really fast finish even although it was only cat 3/4). Today's race started hard with the fast boys trying to get a break right from the word go. I found myself right at the back due to trying and failing to get my strava going after I forgot to put it on 😕 (gutted) i started to work my way up to the front only to see 3 or 4 bodies go down on a fast decent (looked a bad one) I decided just to go for it and cycle hard to try get onto the lead bunch, i made it, just. No one came with me. So now there were 11 of us working to stay away. Realised quickly that I was probably out my depth. After the 1st lap I was spent due to the effort I'd put in trying to keep pace with the bunch and hill to the line nearly killed me. I managed to hang in on lap 2 and noted I wasn't the only one struggling, on the long flat roads I was doing ok and started to feel in with a chance if it came to a sprint due to the fact I was nearly double the size of anyone else, but I forgot about the hill finish and it soon became apparent that I was done. 3 went at the foot of the hill then 3 tried to follow as I went to go with them my hamstring cramped for a second and everyone sailed past. Head down dropped to wee ring and spun up the hill as fast as I could. Realising I was in 11th was torture but kept going as could see I was catching a small bunch that came into sight, cought one b4 the line to get 10th. Hardest race so far, a bit annoyed at finish but at the start I didn't expect to be in the mix so I suppose I'll have to take it. 😉

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done thats a great result.

You've been in the top 10 in every race you've done, thats far better than most and probably better than the 9 riders who were ahead of you today at the same point in their racing 'career' so you're definitely not out your depth!