Renfew Bunch Tuesday nights summer 2014

Alan McLean

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ah!!

Awful ride tonight peloton got split at red smiddy 0 due to traffic. 5 of us did not get through. I made schoolboy error of going thru alone but no chance of catching bunch so slowed down for next 3 riders who simply flew past me. Game over ploughed a lonely furrow to Kilmalcolm where Greg joined me. Bunch then came thru and got a fast tow to bridge of weir. Saw that Colin and George were there and looking good. Hard lesson tonight but now resting till Saturday

• 2023 Subscriptions

Warm wine? Offt, make mine a cold Gin!....yes horrendous night, I got dropped just leaving bishopton before the good shepard centre. Decided to carry on and go through finlaystone, and up that hill and down, west glen road? Not sure, but met charlie and the binch crept on us. To bow then we peeled off. Just shows all the hard training I've not been doing! Woops! :s

Greg

Guest George

First time out with the bogs in 20 years for me.

Feared the worst when one of the guys uttered "lock & load" as we pulled away.

For me, as always, it's the fast starts that I struggle with & we indeed took off like a 10 bob rocket.

Did a couple of turns on way to smiddy but made the mistake of sitting behind John Craig. He's a beast & struggled to get past him.

Had to do a flat out sprint to get over bishy hill but after that I was comfortable.

Granted, I didn't do a stroke of work & took the shortcut but that was what many who were still in the group did.

Had a wee go at pipping Colin in the sprint and he has now joined that illustrious group of sprinting greats to have distanced me with galling ease.

Will try to have a go again on Thursday.

One final thought- when I did this ride 20 years ago, not once did I finish with the group.

Brian Smith, Drew Wilson, Billy Gibb, Malcy Little, James Millar all rode then.

Doubt if there was a single first category out tonight.

First time out with the bogs in 20 years for me.

Feared the worst when one of the guys uttered "lock & load" as we pulled away.

For me, as always, it's the fast starts that I struggle with & we indeed took off like a 10 bob rocket.

Did a couple of turns on way to smiddy but made the mistake of sitting behind John Craig. He's a beast & struggled to get past him.

Had to do a flat out sprint to get over bishy hill but after that I was comfortable.

Granted, I didn't do a stroke of work & took the shortcut but that was what many who were still in the group did.

Had a wee go at pipping Colin in the sprint and he has now joined that illustrious group of sprinting greats to have distanced me with galling ease.

Will try to have a go again on Thursday.

One final thought- when I did this ride 20 years ago, not once did I finish with the group.

Brian Smith, Drew Wilson, Billy Gibb, Malcy Little, James Millar all rode then.

Doubt if there was a single first category out tonight.

Was that Brian Smith of eurosport commentary George ? Heard him talking at the bike show on Saturday - must've been pretty fast !

Guest George

I'm sure I have the power files somewhere.

Charlie, spoke to some of my new mates in the bogs bunch- we're going to organise an intermediate group for the slower guys.

You ok with being ride captain for them?

Guest George

Not quite myself tonight & unceremoniously dropped.

Will take some comfort in not being ceremoniously dropped.

I'll keep coming back for more with a view to ongoing improvement.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Dig in Holo. It was incredible, with the way the sun was shining through the thin cloud I swear I saw an apparition of you at the Bishopton traffic lights, but I must have been mistaken :)

Pace is pretty merciless from the word go these days.

Ohyadancer!

George ,

You were definately there as I spoke to you at the bogs but you weren't your usual cheery self, muttering dark thoughts about getting dropped, so maybe something was in fact amiss.

As for pace 1st time outing for me this year and certainly a lot faster than I recall from last year, it was basically strung out from after the bridge. Take comfort in the fact you were not the only one shelled early.

Garmin stats...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/480649356