Road Race May 26

Guest EPCC

Guest Ross Toole

Out, tried the old ribs last night was ok till a point, either when I had to climb or sprint was agony!

I will race one day!

(just scared Billy beats me!)

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Climbing & sprinting is supposed to be sore ya big wummin!

Bernard Hinault-"zees climbing et sprinting, eet eez awfy sore, non?"

Guest EPCC

Sorry guys my race report is brief

Started fast 30mph hit the first climb after about 10 miles that was the last I saw of the bunch went round on my own caught up with Colin on lap 2 but I was dead Colin pedalled on finished lap 3 on my own lesson learned when not feeling right don't race

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good race today which eventually ended in sunshine :) For the JWCC guys who are relative newcomers, do not be put off as that was quite a tough one. A lumpy course with a keen wind and a race average of 24.3 mph = fairly lively race. Also this particular course suits those with experience who work their way up the bunch before the climbs which is something that just has to be learnt. I finished in the lead bunch but when the sprint started up the final hill I had nought left and ended about 15th, need to wait for photo finish. Scary thought of the day, riding up to the wind farm in the last 2 miles, albeit with a tail wind, I noticed we were doing 28mph !? And wished I had not looked.

Ohyadancer!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Crackingly good race today. My first road race so it needs a decent report to lay down the memories.

First, not quite sure why the neutralised zone is called the neuralised zone. It's anything but with the jockeying for position and speed.

Second, start of the race could never have been prepared for the burst of speed. I'd got myself up to the front and within a minute despite my hardest peddling was almost out the back. Billy's motivational statement "welcome to road racing" spurred me on. Stayed with the bunch and finally worked my way back up before the Dams climb. Colin and I found each other and with great encouragement from Colin we worked together. I was surprised to find myself at top of the Dams and not being dropped. Then it was fast and furious down to the Clunch turn. Pretty pleased with my pace going up the Clunch until....

Third, final climb on the Clunch was in the big ring. Big mistake, slipped down a to the wee ring but by that stage my legs were burned. Motivational cheers from Darryl and Ian gave me a huge boost but by then lost the main bunch.

Picked up James for a two up then a guy from Dumfries CC joined us. He kept hammering it off the front so it was a job holding his wheel. James disappeared (later discovered he punctured) and 2 upped with chap from Dumfries once we'd discussed terms!

Hit the Dams again and feeling good and bunch has been stopped for a good talking to. Before we could reach them they were off. Picked up another couple of riders on the descent, female rider and a number 3 for Thompsons. He disappeared on the Clunch and then it was a three-up.

We worked well with Dumfries guy still hammering off the front down A77 but held on. Knew I was stronger on the climbs so was starting to prepare for the finish. Crikey, then hit Dams for the third time and I thought my legs were going to blow up. Stayed together covering any attacks.

Back on A77 eased up to let others cover the work then onto final climb held onto front wheel. Gabby did a very fine job of positioning throughout and when Dumfries chap lost her wheel I saw the gap late and came in an exhausted second in the wee group.

Loved it! Learned for myself Paul, Darryl and Mark's excellent advise yesterday to climb to the front before the hills. There is a difference between knowing this with your head versus knowing this with your legs!

Andy

Further frustration for me to add to last weeks crash as a jammed front mech left me in a massive gear at the bottom of the clunch road. All had being going well up to this point and was feeling good going over the first climb in a good position at the top and positioning myself well although a bit too far back at the bottom of the clunch.Then (and I must apologise to Al and anyone else behind me) I could only emit an expletive as front mech jammed and left me with a massive gear to grind and the entire race went past me in a flash. Worked my a**e of to try to get back on and was within touching distance of the back markers but couldn't hook back on. Solo'd on manfully until Billy caught up and we worked for a bit although the big man was clearly suffering with his pre race nutritional stratedgy so eventually went ahead and finished out the race. Great day - thanks for the lift Andy. Still learning from every race and hoping to do well next time out. :icon_hee-haw

Well done guys. Andy, sounds like you had a good baptism - learning curve of a 1 in 20! Tough luck with the mechanical Colin. Chapeau Paul McD.

Billy Mac, never give me lottery numbers. The UCI have refused to adopt the black jersey for the most unluckiest rider ever!

M

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Billy, you now have Andy & Colin to compete with in Charlie's absence.

& you appear to be losing. Badly.

Well done chaps, I'm sure billy will give you a stiffer challenge once he's on the mend.