Road Race May 26

Guest EPCC

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Millport? Don't think I've ridden that race before....ahem.

Seriously tho. Chapeau to Colin & Alan, most improved riders this year.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good reports guys. Some other thoughts come to mind which might seem obvious but worth mentioning,

- never race with something new on your bike that you have not ridden on before for at least a couple of hours to make sure it works ok. Including such simple things as tyres which might not be seated, bottle cages which might rattle loose, bar tape that might unravel etc

- most races start at a frantic pace, be prepared, be very prepared, with a thorough warm up which includes some full on sprints, it might seem like a waste of energy but its worth it,

- it is worth burning up some energy to be in first 15 before the key points - usually climbs or crosswind sections, but obviously use as little as possible !

- it is worth ending yourself to hold the wheel, the notion that 'I'll drift off the back then catch up over the top' is simply a myth for all but the very strongest. When you lose the wheel you don't get back on to a bunch moving at that speed.

- if there is a gap in the bunch, claim it. Take every possible chance to move forward when little effort required.

And you've all heard me preach it before, do short sharp intervals or something like track which gives the same effect. The ability to have short frequent spurts is invaluable in a road race.

Hope that helps

: banana

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good reports guys. Some other thoughts come to mind which might seem obvious but worth mentioning,

- never race with something new on your bike that you have not ridden on before for at least a couple of hours to make sure it works ok. Including such simple things as tyres which might not be seated, bottle cages which might rattle loose, bar tape that might unravel etc

- most races start at a frantic pace, be prepared, be very prepared, with a thorough warm up which includes some full on sprints, it might seem like a waste of energy but its worth it,

- it is worth burning up some energy to be in first 15 before the key points - usually climbs or crosswind sections, but obviously use as little as possible !

- it is worth ending yourself to hold the wheel, the notion that 'I'll drift off the back then catch up over the top' is simply a myth for all but the very strongest. When you lose the wheel you don't get back on to a bunch moving at that speed.

- if there is a gap in the bunch, claim it. Take every possible chance to move forward when little effort required.

And you've all heard me preach it before, do short sharp intervals or something like track which gives the same effect. The ability to have short frequent spurts is invaluable in a road race.

Hope that helps

: banana

Paul

Thanks very much for this post. I don't think it's obvious at all for those like me who are on a massive learning curve, exciting and simultaneously painful that is. I've definitely felt the benefits of mid week bunches and interval training but noticeably my ability to accelerate hard was found wanting at the start. I'm just glad I was up at the front when the flag went down. I think track is a good solution to this on top of fast bunches etc. but what really hit me today was being out there and experiencing first hand these lessons. Thanks Paul

Andy

Guest EPCC

Only brutal if you are

1 too heavy

2 not fast enough

3 not fit enough

4 not feeling right

If you have all 4 it equals 29 minutes down on the bunch

Al where did you finish

Alas no Charlie. Was a super fast start but great fun along the 77. Felt pretty hairy when we got onto the minor roads - people all over the road and several near misses with oncoming traffic. as a result I was hanging near the back of the bunch and just going round as riders went off. As Paul has pointed out this is not a good strategy. Saw Colin going backwards and not too long after was heading that way myself . Saw Andy come off just after me and was a good target for lap two. Up the 77 again I was gaining ground slowly but saw James with a puncture and stopped to offer assistance - race well over for me by then.

Slogged round lap 2 gradually catching the guy in front but when we came together we both agreed another lap was not worth it, so back up to the windmills. Never really got going and a real disappointment / wake up. Should be going well after a good winter ( summer! ) but just not been out enough recently. Hopefully temps will get into double figures in the build up to Millport.

Thanks to Ian and Darryl for the encouragement - un jour sans.