The Italian Trip (New thread)

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi All

As you all know, some of us are planning to go ride our bikes in Italy next May. the event is the Nove Coli (Granfondo Marco Pantani). Richie has already done some research for this (see earlier thread). So, it is time for us to come together to firm up the details.

By my reckoning we have the following people who have expressed an interest:

Darryl

Greg

Billy Mac

Ritchie Cross

Mark O

Paul McD

Tom H

Alan McLean

Davie B

Al Yuille

Duncan T

Charlie

Chung

Paul C

Richard

Surly Steve

If any one is interested but not on the list, please post here.

The plan is to meet for a drink and possibly a bite to eat on Friday 14th in Glasgow. Mark has suggested 7.30, and I think wwe should go for that. Despite Greg's enthusiasm for things Mongolian, I am inclined to go with Mark's suggestion of keeping in the spirit of the trip by eating Italian. So, who is able to come out to play? (we will need to book a table, so we need to know numbers). Also, does anyone have any suggestions? I personally am happy with Pizza Express or some such, but will go with the flow. Suggestions/recommendations please?

Ciao

Gunsonini (Chinerello) :grin:o

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I regret I will be unable to join the Italian trip next year. The dates are not working for me, but I should very much like to join you all for a cheeky wee Chianti, some fine Italian cuisine, and general merriment. Hello, beer !!

This place is good; http://www.italian-kitchen.co.uk/

Greg, I'm impressed with your cosmopolitan culinary outlook, Mongolian next time!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Members

Friday night out in Glasvegas doesn't appeal, but I've had a proper look at the Nove Colli site for the first time and it does look awfy good. On that basis - and because your Italian anecdotes and stories will be insufferable if I don't have some of my own - I'll join yous on the Continent, please.

• Life Members

Darryl,

I'm very interested in joining this trip & do the ride if thats O.K, just need to decide on a few things first.

Is there a deadline date? Will probably make a final decision one way or the other in a few weeks time.

I'll try and come out for the food next Friday as well. :grin:

Cheers

Hi folks,

I've been in contact with someone from another forum who's ridden this event.

Here's what he had to say....just to whet your appetite/for info Oh ya dancer !

Dante is brilliant and will sort everything for you, from collecting your registration numbers on your behalf to laying on special feed stations. The only minor hiccup for us was the arriving hotel transfer - I don't think Dante realised how much space 20 or so bike boxes take so we spent ages trying to fit them in every possible way into the coach. So if you are travelling en masse, make sure you specify a trailer on the coach.

The hotel itself was great, good food, a pool for cooling off and right by the beach. If you can, I would recommend spending a few days either side of the event in Cessanatico to make the most of it. Dante knew a local guide (an ex pro who was in his 60s) who took us out on some of the local routes. It also helps avoid the rush at the airport with every entrant trying to arrive and depart on the same flight.

In terms of the event, I would say it was alpine like rather than it is rolling. Some of the climbs are a reasonable length. The longest is on the long route and is about 10km long so you will climbing for a while. Even the short route has some long hills - I think the biggest is the Barbotto, around 6km I think so you will get enough climbing for your money.

With decent miles in your legs, you should be able to make the long course. The first 20km is flat and the last 20km is downhill so you just need to be prepared for the middle 160km or so. Cut off times will probably be more than 11 hours I would guess.

I went with my club - around 60 of us went, with about 45 participating. I'd say about half did the short course and half did the long course. The short course is a fair workout - there are three to four longish climbs of around 5 - 8km long, around 7% average gradient. If you go on to the nove colli website, you can download the route map and the elevation profiles with hill details. Some of the guys just did it to get a four hour ride that they could nail from start to finish.

Don't forget also about the heat - about 30 degrees + when I did it last May. Probably a bit warmer than Glasgow!

:grin:

Latest reply after me asking if there was an exact date for the registration.

Seems to be all month until full I guess?

Hi Richard,

if you will make your Nove Colli inscription trought me I need your details : Name, surname, date of birth, address, e-mail, phon, biketeam, and sizes. until end of November.

Later you can make the hotel reservation (arrive, departure, ) and make the deposit for the room and for the inscription.

Looking forward to hearing from you in November.

BEST WISHES

Dante

I guess once we hit Nov, the sooner bookings are made the better?

If everyone's doing their own flights, will people arrange between themselves if trying to get on the same flight etc?

My best case would be out on Fri, home Mon.

Worst case, out on Sat.

I also imagine the shorter course would be my best bet :oops:

With getting 2 weekends in every 5 and even with the wee one being at nursery in the morning, I couldn't see me getting the miles in for that distance on the flat let alone adding hills.

Stuff you'll all discuss next week I'm sure but I had to say it while it's in my head! :grin:

• 2024 Subscriptions
Friday night out in Glasvegas doesn't appeal, but I've had a proper look at the Nove Colli site for the first time and it does look awfy good. On that basis - and because your Italian anecdotes and stories will be insufferable if I don't have some of my own - I'll join yous on the Continent, please.

Glad to hear it Richard. For a moment I thought Flanders had put you off JWCC trips. :grin:

• Members

Glad to hear it Richard. For a moment I thought Flanders had put you off JWCC trips. :grin:

Och, no, Darryl. I'd happily ride the Ronde again (or I would have done had the organisers not axed the Kapelmuur from the course!) It was trying to rack up long miles in awful weather that left me a bit jaded. The trip itself remains a fond memory. Shouldn't be a problem with a late-May event, though.

Might not make night out Friday what I need to know is cost including flights leaving Wednesday coming back on Monday and when I need to book hotel as I would hang off booking flights as I may have some long periods of inactivity coming without pay so will have to watch my pennies

The BA timetables for Glasgow to Bologna are available just now Billy so you can put in what dates you need to know about. Should be about £140-£160 depending time of day you fly.

As per my e-mail from Italy....registration all Nov then book hotel when you like but after speaking to others on Sunday, as soon as I have my registration confirmed (if I can actually go!) I'd be booking flights and hotels.

Depends what the others talk about on Fri.

Everyman for themselves when it comes to booking flights?

Some plan for the hotel would be an idea as I might only fly out on the Fri but would share a room if I can.

Just need a final list of

1) Who's going...obviously

2) When and for how long

3) Long or short course

I would try and get an extra day if, for example, 3 of the Joansin were flying out together and rather than Mr X getting a single room from Thurs and there's me looking for a single room from the Fri etc.

I look forward to hearing the final plans :grin:

Cheers Richie

£145 leaving Wedensday returning monday early flight out for some sunbathing and miday return, like Richie would like to know who is going and how long for as to work out costs and time off work

belgium is much easier Drive ferry drink sleep wake up in foreign lands drink wake up ride early finish late beer sleep watch pros drink ferry slep drive home

Hi fellow bike weirdos

Appetite for the trip and Friday food fully whetted !

Would love to cycle in Italy

Spoke to Chung today think he is also keen to explore the possibility of going. As for eating out we ( wife and I ) do not manage to dine out much these days but we were out three weeks ago in city zentrum and ate at Amore, just a few bike lenghts from Italian Kitchen. Food and atmosphere were great. We were out with my cousin and her husband. He is Italian ( or is pretty good at the accent ) and they eat there regularly. Just putting my observation in the mix. Happy to eat just about anything anywhere. Will eat most things apart from parsnips, they are definitely out. I was conned once as I was served them and started to eat them thinking they were chips Uurghh!!!!

So any restaruant named the " Disguised vegetable " or " Vegetable surprise " and I am not going !

Cheers

Stevie

" Who cares if I can't spell armageddon its not the end of the world. "

• 2024 Subscriptions

Guys

New revised list has 16 names on it, although not all can come out to play. No tables at The Italian Kitchen so I have booked a table for 10 people at Sartis on Wellington St. for 8pm: [email protected]

I understand that it is:

Darryl

Paul McD

Tom

Greg

Kenny

Mark

Chung

Any more? Billy, Alan, Davie, Paul C, Duncan? Or anyone else who fancies it?

See you all there

Darryl