caledonian etape

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a blast! The best cycle ride I have ever done.

Had aimed for 4:45 - 05:00 hours but got round in 4:19:39 and no feed stops!!

I couldn't believe the speed I was doing for the last 20 miles.

Under 4 hours for Al & Charlie - well done guys.

The weather was dry and westerly wind favoured a fast 2nd half.

81 m KOTM

Al Y 03:49:37 07:54

Charlie 03:54:14 09:02

Davie B 04:00:08 09:15

BillyM 04:00:23 09:28

Dave P 04:08:45 10:03

Paul C 04:19:39 10:48

Lindsay 04:26:48 12:15

Tom Hill 04:35:59 11:21

Campbell

Sorry - Campbell - don't your last name.

Did anybody see Richard?

I am looking forward to next year already!

Yes , well done all. Conditions were pretty good and we all got round dry. Most of us went of together in Wave D and the start was a bit fast and furious. I lost sight of the others in the first mile and assumed Messrs McCusker and MacDonald were up the road already , given their much mentioned performance at Drumlanrig.

Having ridden Fred Whitton the previous Sunday my legs were still in recovery so I found a good bunch and settled in for the day. It was a bit windy heading west along the lochs but not bad when on a wheel. As Paul said , once we made the turn at the end of Loch Rannoch the tailwind meant the pace was fast on the second half. Apparently there was a climb somewhere in this section but I don't think it would have been mentioned on "The Fred".

I did eventually catch sight of Charles and William again - from my vantage point as a spectator as, by what must be some mysterious warping of the space-time continuum, they crossed the line BEHIND ME ! When we got our times I realised I had even gone well enough for a podium finish - in the womens event. Hmm - the Robert Miller option ?

PS A shame to see Billy and Davie miss the 4hrs by such a small margin - I could hardly read Paul's post as the tears were blinding me. Billy, the trademark flapping bandana probably cost you those 23secs - don't just dress like the Pirate , climb like him !

Guest EPCC

Firstly it takes great pains for me to say this well done to Al and Charlie great times. Also well done to everybody who got a good time.

I would like to say I am content with my time but I can't could not get going for the first hour don't now why but got better later on I found it hard as I spent a lot of my time in the wind as most of the groups I was on were a bit slow . Near the end was torture as I was cramping in my knees mind you what do you expect if you only during 250ml

I don't think I will do it again as would like to start racing a bit more

So all you racer post some races that would be suitable for novices

One last thing it was fun

• 2023 Subscriptions

Congratulations to Mr Yuille. Billy & I agreed to let him away first as we nearly froze to death waiting for him at the end of Drumlanrig. We forgot this was not our usual 100mile + race so did not rein him in.

Anyway good to see Al is back on form both verbally and on the bike. He did as they say give as a good shooing though he was a tad light on the pre race bevvy. As for MacDonald he deserves all the abuse and I am looking forward to seeing Davy B's post.

Cracking route and a great 2 days.

Chapeau to Paul and Davy P

I agree great weekend. I didn't think my time was to bad until I heard everyone else's. Well done to everyone. Some really impressive stuff. I think I got the best time in the king of mountain :lol: 12 minutes to get up a small lump :lol: what's that all about !!!!

Cheers lindsay

Excellent day though I did encounter a period in Al's warp in the space-time contiuum when I was going so slow even a "toiling" Billy Mac passed me. The time warp also affected my vision as it appeared to my eyes as though he was indulging in a spot of good old fashioned wheel sucking at the time.

After Al crossed the line the normal laws of physics resumed as when I turned the corner into the last lumpy 5 miles I spied a yellow and blue shape which was a mere speck in the distance. Due to the differences in relative speeds it soon became clear that this was indeed a (now) very definately toiling Billy Mac. Ever polite I slowed up for about 9 seconds to shout encouragement as I rode past and agreed to meet him over the finish line, it was only later that I found out the consequences of my friendly gesture.

Davie icon_rolling_smile

• Members

Did anybody see Richard?

I was trying to cultivate an air of mystery. :-)

Nah, I was there - although my participation was pretty touch and go on Sunday morning. "Up in the middle of the night for another kicking on the bike," I thought when the alarm woke me up. I turned it off and tried to go back to sleep, but the idea of spending 50 quid on entry without actually riding kept me from dropping off.

So I peeled away the duvet and went down to the start, unsure if I was riding for a time (which would hurt) or just cycling round. I got to the main street about 20 minutes before my start time, expecting to leave with all the other Wheelers in Wave D. Only I couldn't get anywhere near the front because of all the people standing about. I made my not-so-grand départ somewhere between Wave E and Wave F. It was a bit of a shambles. Half the folk blocking my way to the front and setting off before me were wearing numbers in the high thousands, which I think I'm correct in saying means they were meant to leave much later. The marshals were scolding these chancers but not actually preventing them from starting.

I left Pitlochry in a foul mood, annoyed that I was on my tod, and still not sure what the plan was. I rode up Queens View in a bunch of one and gave the piper a wave at the top (Flanders would benefit from roadside bagpipe music.) I was picking off lots of other folk who had started out too hard, jumping between little groups of 4-5 riders. Tummel Bridge was behind me before I saw anything that you could actually describe as a bunch. I was glad to get some shelter from the wind and tucked in behind.

As we went towards Loch Rannoch, I moved up to the front of this group of about 30 riders. The wind was hard and only four or five of us were working - me, a couple of big English lads, a ginormous Perth United rider and a blonde lady on a De Rosa. I encouraged others to go through, just for a short spell, but they weren't having it and the pace dropped off. Any thoughts of riding for a time went out the window at this point. I settled down in the bunch and tried out my patter on the De Rosa rider. :-/ There were also guys asking what it meant when I pointed to the left or the right behind my back. I gave them an instructional on hand signals for cyclists, and it all got quite conversational. A bit like a club run, really. Alas, club riders were few and far between.

A faster group caught us and I latched onto that. They took me onto the Schiehallion climb before I knew what was happening. I can't even remember going round the top of Loch Rannoch. Anyway, at the top of the climb I started fishing around in my back pocket for a banana. I couldn't get my gilet up high enough to get it out and my gloves weren't helping so I stopped for a feed and shed some layers.

This proved to be a bit of a mistake. First off, there was a near-miss as I overtook a straggler who vomited just before I caught him (number 140, you know who you are!) But far worse, there were no riders travelling at the same speed as me anywhere to be seen. I expected to be resting on the way down to Coshieville, but I ended up pedalling in the big ring, fighting the wind all the way. That really took it out of me, but what a descent on closed roads! It's totally different when you can use both sides of the carriageway. Easily worth the entry fee for that alone.

Eventually I got across to a bunch, which started off small but snowballed in size, picking up other riders as the pace lifted. I didn't have a watch or a computer on me so I had no idea how I was doing until we got to Kenmore. Out of nowhere, this guy a couple of bikes down the line screamed at the top of his voice, "We're on for under four hours! We're on for under four hours!" I had no idea if he started at a similar time to me, but I asked around and sure enough, it was possible. Now I was definitely riding for a time!

So it was tongue out, head down for the last 15 miles, flying along in a big bunch. There was a horrible moment when the riders in front peeled away without any warning to reveal a line of traffic cones. My nerves were shot and my legs were shredded. I knew I'd be crawling along without the shelter provided by other riders, and managed to delay the inevitable until two or three miles outside Logierait. Thereafter, I was the worst sort of wheel-sucking leech; hanging on to individual riders only marginally less destroyed than I was. Big thanks to Dave P on this front. :-D

The last lumpy bit of road was not pretty, or fast - I didn't feel strong; completely different to the finish at Flanders. However, for the record, my final times were....

Overall: 4:02:29.
KOTM: 8:48

There was some seriously dodgy riding, and more gringos than one would like to share road space with, but it was great fun. The course is scenic and fast. I'll definitely be back next year cos I'm convinced I can beat four hours. That shall be my target for 2012 (in lieu of proper, grown-up ambitions.) :-D

Well done, everyone. There were some really classy Wheelers performances on Sunday. Sorry I didn't see more of yous at the time.

Final list now we know what happened to Ricardo

Al Y 03:49:37 07:54

Charlie 03:54:14 09:02

Davie B 04:00:08 09:15

BillyM 04:00:23 09:28

Richard 04:02:29 08:48

Dave P 04:08:45 10:03

Campbell 04:16:06 09:06

Paul C 04:19:39 10:48

Lindsay 04:26:48 12:15

Tom Hill 04:35:59 11:21

Well done all!