Club Hill Climb Championships - Sat 3rd October

KennyS

The Club Hill Climb Championships will take place on Saturday 3rd October.

With the cooperation of Renfrewshire Council and Strathclyde Police we have secured a Road Closure for this year's event. That's right. No cars in the way. Just you, your bike and a hill Oh ya dancer !

The road will be closed from 9:30am. The event will start at 10am sharp

The course is on the following link http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /166751303

Will big Ramsay retain his crown? Last year's winning time was 1min 38secs. I'm reliably informed that he was well over the 2min mark on a secret recce recently ;-)

The club record of 1min 22secs was set in 1988 and is still held by Graeme Herd. Twenty One Years of Glory !!!!!!

We're also reliably informed that due to recent increased cycle activity on the hill (riders will remain nameless) that the Council will patch sections of the road in advance. The smell of warm tar as you climb in the Club Hill Champs. What more could you ask for?

Categories, as always, will include :- age related , weight categories and special novice award for our new members and much more.

With the road closure this year there will also be an expanded Youth participation with the Jets heading for Howwood. Youth Categories will be Youth A, B, C, D and E

For a couple of hours on a Saturday morning the hill will we ours. Bring along the family. Get on your bike. Get on the roadside. Make some noise

We're also looking for volunteers as we need to marshall the roadblock top and bottom. These will will be rotated on the day.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Dear all,

Delighted to be able to tell you that this year's hill climb is to be very generously sponsored by the new Elliston Grill restaurant. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

The restaurant opens this Saturday 26th September, almost exactly at the foot of the hill climb. To celebrate, the owners Billy and Catherine Murphy have agreed to support our event by offering the winner a prize of dinner for two, up to the value of £50!

What an incentive to enter - what could be more appropriate for the winner of a hill climb than a slap up meal?!!

They're also putting up a second prize of lunch for two, up to the value of £30!! (Kenny Steele is working out how this should be awarded - trying to see if there's a way he can win it ;-) )

You can visit the Elliston Grill's website here http://www.ellistongrill.com/home/ and plan how you're going to spend your winnings!

On behalf of the JWCC, many thanks to Billy, Catherine, restaurant manager Ian Faulds and everyone at the Elliston Grill. Good luck for your opening weekend and wishing you every success with the restaurant.

Cheers

Martin

Neil.

Amazing what the prospect of some quality grub will do for the membership ;-)

New members joining after the 1st October 2009 have their membership carried through to the 2010 season

Just make sure you pay your £20 membership to Mr Manson before the start

KennyS

Cheers Kenny.

How much is it for the club confined events now - It's been a few years since I last did one. Think I still had down-tube shifters then.....

i've as much chance of winning as a one legged donkey given how I go up hills.

If a miracle does happen I can always treat the better half to a night out.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Now back from Lanzarote and dont have the time presure of the internet machine suddenly saying that I have only 45 seconds remaining!

Anyway, great news that the hill climb will be sponsored by the Elliston Grill, shame I can't do it! I will however be there to time keep or hold up/push off or whatever else is required (as long as it doesn't involve too much running around). That does mean that Ian (Manson), you can ride if you like!!

Just to fill in the story of what happened..... Was windsurfing in what was a fairly high wind and big swell, so was using the shelter of the bay and the groins either side of it. Had been off a few time (well loads) due to the conditions and had thought nothing of it, just as long as I was away from the rocks! Anyway, I came off again and despite being 30m or so from the groin, I hit a rock only about 2feet under the surface and for some unknown reason I had jumped off knees first!!! My left knee (sorry Kenny Mac D, I can only lend you another right leg!) hit the rock and stopped me pretty quickly. Luckily there was a rescue boat only 2mins away, which took me in and then the medics got me to an ambulance and off to hospital for some stiching back together. I'll not go into too much gorey detail, but enough to confirm that a first hand inspection confirmed that my kneecap was intact :!::shock::shock:

Most annoying part of it all was that I had my bike out with me and had done three hilly rides and was feeling strong!! Anyway, I managed to read three books in the remaining time I was there!

Hope the last minute preparations for the hill climb are going well. See you all there.

Ramsay

Painful, Ramsay. But we all love a good scar and a story!

Having been inspired by my booby prize for my efforts up the Serpentine on Bute last week (15minutes!!!!??? Not true, honest), I will make every effort to put in an equally spectacular ride on the 3rd - if I can't find any good excuses that is...

Vicky

Spent a few days trying to figure a way how I'd end up with both prizes but decided that it's only fair that both prizes are open to everyone.

Therefore, as Martin said, the fastest up the hill on the day will win the prize of dinner for two, up to the value of £50 at the newly opened Elliston Grill. Oh ya dancer !

The prize of lunch for two, up to the value of £30 will be decided by raffle. Quite simply, ALL riders who enter and get a time, just in case there's any chancers ;-) , will have their name drawn from the hat immediately after the event . First name out of the hat will win the prize.

The restuarant is now taking reservations. Further info at www.ellistongrill.com or call 01505 703020

• 2023 Subscriptions
Painful, Ramsay. But we all love a good scar and a story!

Having been inspired by my booby prize for my efforts up the Serpentine on Bute last week (15minutes!!!!??? Not true, honest), I will make every effort to put in an equally spectacular ride on the 3rd - if I can't find any good excuses that is...

Vicky

Hey Vicky, we never believed that 15 minute time for a second. Truth will out, as they say. Today's Herald has you down as 2nd woman, with a time of 3:46 - two seconds faster than Jim D Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Mind you, they did also say you rode for Ayr Roads :shock: , and your time is still 36 seconds beyond the time young Lewis M got ;-):lol:

PS L Steele, Johnstone JETS, 3rd woman with 4:14 icon_bounce_3 'mon the Jets!