Costa Blanca training.

Kenny Christie

I have been thinking about a week in the early spring next year either on the Canary Islands or the Costa Blanca.

I wanted to canvas opinion to see if anyone else fancied it? It could work well for people of all abilities and some warm sunshine near the start of the year would be nice.

Personally, I take a break from work for a week around spring time anyway so I cant think of a better way to spend it and if I get my act together just now I can put some cash away for it.

Never having done anything like this, the reason for this post was to try and get some feed back from folk that have been there and done it. To find out if a certain destination is better than another and why etc.

If it was the case that a few of us wanted to go then I think that organisation and bikes be left up to the individual once a destination was decided to avoid any issues.

As I understand you can hire a Scott CR1 with Dura Ace for around 30 euros a day. This may seem pricey but personally I would prefer to do that rather than take my bike. You would only have to take your shoes and pedals and maybe your saddle.

Anyway Im just floating the idea nice and early to see if anyone else was of a similar opinion.

Cheers

• Members

Over the years we have had many training camps

Costa Brava was popular for many years , then it was Majorca and lately Italy was the preffered choice . Northern Spain ( mainly for long weekend ) was another option. Bill T spent a week in France around Ventoux area which he recommends as well. Lots of choices its just matching up prices etc to suit the group.

Take you wont be joining me in Skye for the Easter training camp then Kenny ;-)

Take you wont be joining me in Skye for the Easter training camp then Kenny ;-)

Ah, I still have nightmares about the headwinds on Skye :grin:

Not to say I wont join you again Kenny. I just wanted to see if the sunshine was an option. I hadn't even considered Italy or the long weekend idea. So food for thought.

Kenny, Have you considered Mallorca. Two years ago I hired a Giant quality road bike whilst holidaying in Port de Pollensa. If I remember, it cost me 100 euro for seven days rental, all you need are your pedals and shoes.

The company is called Procycle Hire and is owned by a very friendly English couple. You can find out more by visiting their web site at

www.procyclehire.com

have a word with Dennis as he used them earlier this year.

Regards, Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Kenny

Some thoughts,

Canaries for almost guaranteed dry weather but nearly always very windy.

Costa Blanca or Costa del Sol mostly dry in spring and the roads / terrain are excellent - also usually a lot of groups around.

Can't comment on bike hire - always took my own (very well wrapped!) and I have to say the worse that happened was a slightly buckled wheel once. Take traditional 32 spokers and you should be ok.

cheers

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

Paul, sound slike the Costa's rather than the Canaries then as I d rather not have the island winds to contend with.

I am still erring on the side of a hire bike though, Im quite fussy :oops: Id be gutted if something happened to my bike.

Frank, early season sunshine, you know it makes sense! Dates would be flexible to fit it with as many individual schedules as possible.

I will continue to gather info about it 8-)

Hi Kenny,

I've done a lot of cycling in France, Italy and Spain and have loved them all for different reasons but just can't see past Majorca. The Island has lots of lovely runs, some great hilly runs but equally some nice flatish runs. I've also used the bike hire shop that Alan mentions. The service is always great and the bikes are excellent. Worth noting that Majorca in Spring time is heaving with cyclists which is fantastic, but if hiring a bike you would need to consider booking early to make sure you get what you want.

I've been to Majorca a number of times now, both taking my own bike and hiring one. Give the quality of bikes from Probike hire in Majorca, I would say definately hire one rather than take your own.

Cheers,

Lesley

I will continue to collate info and reserach things as comprehesively as I can.

I will then post up the details and you can decide if you fancy it.

I will be going for sure but some company, would be great.

I am thinking some time in the month of March and the destination is the Costas.

Thanks for the info so far keep it coming, I would appreciate any feedback .

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Kenny,

I'm off to Lanzarote in three weeks, so will report back. Although I would appreciate any advice from people who have been.

Have ridden in Majorca last year and hired a bike from Pro Cycles. Good enough bike, but I could have taken my bike there for much less and not had to suffer Shimano componetary for a week!! ;-) . Rain made hills inaccessible for a few days (limestone chippings on the roads are like ice when wet). Would definetly go back and just hope for better weather!

Let me know what is planned and I might see if I can come along. March or April generally good for me.

Cheers

Ramsay

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...