Langbank Hilly TT #1, Saturday 6th April

AlanT

• 2023 Subscriptions

This is the first of 2 Langbank Hillys at the beginning of the season, with a further one scheduled near the end.

The start is in Langbank, just along from The Wheelhouse restaurant. The course runs up the B789 all the way to the small roundabout in the middle of Houston, where you turn and re-trace most of the way back to Langbank. The end of the course cuts off to the left before the last steep downhill section and finishes at the entrance to Gleddoch Country Club.

09:45 meet, first rider off at 10:00.

Here is a link to the route:http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/650383978

An undulating course with a brutal start, reasonably quiet road for those yet to do their first TT, open to those who intend to join the club or are already a member. Large sections of it have been re-surfaced since last year, so there's a good opportunity for PBs.

As usual we need 2 volunteers for pushing off and timekeeping. I intend to ride this one, although possibly not very quickly.

I will ride the route this week, and post the risk assessment no later than Friday evening.

The forecast is for wet and cold, so layers are good.

The Championship will be decided based on the results of all the TTs on the route in the season with 20, 15 & 10 points awarded for each 1st, 2nd & 3rd place achieved. The competitor with the most points will be the winner.

Following the race, there will be a short expedition to Bridge of Weir for tea, coffee and scones, although hot soup might be a better option.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yip.

18 hours ago, thejanullrichdietplan said:

The one next Saturday clashes with the Dooleys 2up TT on the west ferry.

I'm not doing the 2up (nor intending to ride the hilly TT)  but it might be a problem for a few riders.

Yip. Pity as would have liked to ride both.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I guess it's about making a choice between competing in an open event or a confined event. I know which one I would choose if I was in the position of making a choice, and I wouldn't criticise anyone for making their own choice.

• 2023 Subscriptions
2 hours ago, thejanullrichdietplan said:

It seems a bit unfair - with the hilly series based on placing there is a penalty for missing an event and that penalty is in effect being put on those who want to ride but cant due to racing commitments.

That’s what’s wrong with your calendar, I thought confined events were to encourage your club members to take the step into competition Time Trials, however when there is a clash with a relaxed local open event you don’t change it , so you loose maybe half your Testers why ?

Glad I am XXX 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Absolutely. Inevitably, given the scale of the number of events, there will be clashes. That's just the way it is, especially at this time of year when midweek events are restricted by a lack of daylight.

Having said that, if there are any club members who are intending to ride the Dooleys 2-up and would like to ride this too, post up and I’ll see if it can be moved.

Inote that so far, only George has indicated an intention to ride both. Any more?

• 2023 Subscriptions
13 hours ago, XXX said:

That’s what’s wrong with your calendar, I thought confined events were to encourage your club members to take the step into competition Time Trials, however when there is a clash with a relaxed local open event you don’t change it , so you loose maybe half your Testers why ?

Glad I am XXX 

Love you too XXX

• 2023 Subscriptions

Forecast is starting to look a bit iffy. We only have two confirmed riders, and no timekeepers. Is there anyone else who wants to take part? I'll make a decision at 6pm tomorrow for this to go ahead, and if not, I'll postpone to later in the year.

• 2023 Subscriptions
1 hour ago, AlanT said:

Forecast is starting to look a bit iffy. We only have two confirmed riders, and no timekeepers. Is there anyone else who wants to take part? I'll make a decision at 6pm tomorrow for this to go ahead, and if not, I'll postpone to later in the year.

With snow forecast, although roads will likely be gritted, it still adds an element of risk which I'm not keen on, so I'll no longer be taking part, unfortunately.

• 2023 Subscriptions
3 hours ago, AlanT said:

Might be wise, Alan. The stretch between the top of Langbank to the monkeyhouse doesn’t get much sun so could be slippy. Let’s hope the outlook improves though.

• AlanT changed the title to Langbank Hilly TT #1, Saturday 6th April