Segment of the week 30 April - 6 May

• 2023 Subscriptions

I got the King of the Munt just after I joined the JWCC in May 2014. Been trying to go faster for 4 years (I live just round the corner) and failed.

And Stevie comes along and beats me first time out. He hasn't had the full JWCC negative vibe treatment yet. I'll start it now.

You'll never get that KoM Stevie! The weather forecast is so bad this week I'd stay in bed.

Capture.PNG

• 2023 Subscriptions

I had a look at the segment effort comparison last night to see where i went wrong in terms of pacing (the answer is i was too slow at the start, the middle and the end :D ) but while doing so noticed that the KOM time is the result of the sample rate rather than it being a particularly fast time -  for the KOM effort the time was taken 20 metres into the segment and it ends before the actual end too.  So in effect 32 seconds will have been a faster attempt than the KOM effort...and to rub salt in Ians wounds, 34 seconds is probably faster too! 

Strava....serious business

• Administrators
2 hours ago, thejanullrichdietplan said:

I had a look at the segment effort comparison last night to see where i went wrong in terms of pacing (the answer is i was too slow at the start, the middle and the end :D ) but while doing so noticed that the KOM time is the result of the sample rate rather than it being a particularly fast time -  for the KOM effort the time was taken 20 metres into the segment and it ends before the actual end too.  So in effect 32 seconds will have been a faster attempt than the KOM effort...and to rub salt in Ians wounds, 34 seconds is probably faster too! 

Is this from Strava premium?

• 2023 Subscriptions

I knew it was worth buying that device that tells you when to start the segment for the best sample rate advantage. At least now I know how it works. Its especially useful at Auchengrange hill due to the sporadic tree cover at the bottom.

:)

• Committee

wow. this topic has gone full strava saddo, fantastic. This is on my way home from work so hope to have a look if wind goes north.

Assuming no-one has an tricked out Emonda, or a Quick Step lead out train, then we're pretty much just comparing max power/kg over 30 secs. I wouldn't get anywhere near the necessary 8w/kg or so. but some of you big-butted sprinters could do it (looking at you Jan, 670w should do it)

Always have to put the power down ten metres before any segment to avoid dreaded lag.

5 minutes ago, Alan McLean said:

wow. this topic has gone full strava saddo, fantastic. This is on my way home from work so hope to have a look if wind goes north.

Assuming no-one has an tricked out Emonda, or a Quick Step lead out train, then we're pretty much just comparing max power/kg over 30 secs. I wouldn't get anywhere near the necessary 8w/kg or so. but some of you big-butted sprinters could do it (looking at you Jan, 670w should do it)

Always have to put the power down ten metres before any segment to avoid dreaded lag.

10.33wpk for me. 

• 2023 Subscriptions
6 hours ago, thejanullrichdietplan said:

Let me get this right:

The KoM was done on a smartphone which samples every 4 seconds. But we all did it on Garmins. And what is the sample rate on a Garmin? And you said Karl Bewick used to get dropped in neutral zones of Cat 3/4 races...

Need more explanation Iain. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

This weeks points.  Stevie and Paul fighting it out for the win but tied  in the end. Unfortunately Alans prediction of 670 watts being enough for me was an underestimate. The horrifying thought is i must be heavier than i look!

Stevie and Paul mcd - 32 seconds - 6 points

Glen and me - 33 seconds - 5 points

Ian A - 34 seconds - 4 points

Marc - 35 seconds - 3 points

Paul L, Robert and James S - 36 seconds - 2 points

David C - 37 seconds - 1 point

Gerrard, Alan T and Charlie - 44 seconds - 1 point

Eric - 47 seconds - 1 point

Anthony - 51 seconds - 1 point

Graham - 52 seconds - 1 point

Ian mcg - 1 min 2 - 1 point

James M and Darryl - 1 min 4 - 1 point

Chung - 1 min 9 - 1 point

• 2023 Subscriptions

Overall table.

Name Week 1 + 2 Munters Munt Overall
Stevie 11 6 17
Ian A 10 4 14
Paul mcd 8 6 14
Iain mct 7 5 12
Glen 3 5 8
Robbie 6   6
Eric 3 1 4
James S 1 2 3
Paul L 1 2 3
Marc 0 3 3
Anthony 1 1 2
David C 1 1 2
Robert   2 2
Billy 1   1
Jann 1   1
Graham   1 1
Chung   1 1
Darryl   1 1
Charlie   1 1
Alan T   1 1
Ian mcg   1 1
James M   1 1
Richard B 1   1

• 2023 Subscriptions
2 hours ago, thejanullrichdietplan said:

Overall table.

Stevie 11 6 17
Ian A 10 4 14
Paul mcd 8 6 14
Iain mct 7 5 12
Glen 3 5 8
Robbie 6   6
Eric 3 1 4
James S 1 2 3
Paul L 1 2 3
Marc 0 3 3
Anthony 1 1 2
David C 1 1 2
Robert   2 2
Billy 1   1
Jann 1   1
Graham   1 1
Chung   1 1
Darryl   1 1
Charlie   1 1
Alan T   1 1
Ian mcg   1 1
James M   1 1
Richard B 1   1

Am I not allowed my lonely point on the leaderboard?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sorry about that....here is the updated table

Stevie 11 6 17
Ian A 10 4 14
Paul mcd 8 6 14
Iain mct 7 5 12
Glen 3 5 8
Robbie 6   6
Eric 3 1 4
James S 1 2 3
Paul L 1 2 3
Marc 0 3 3
Anthony 1 1 2
David C 1 1 2
Robert   2 2
Billy 1   1
Jann 1   1
Graham   1 1
Chung   1 1
Darryl   1 1
Charlie   1 1
Alan T   1 1
Ian mcg   1 1
James M   1 1
Gerard   1 1
Richard B 1   1

• Committee

Billy, I think group rides are ok. I'll bet all but the most hilly KOMs were done in bunch with tailwind anyway.

Even if you ban groups people will still work covertly with their pals, I know I would.

Only the very saddest person would then look through fly-bys etc to see who was domestique-ing who. (I do that too)

All fair in love and Strava. A sense of the ridiculousness is good.

I would get out more but I have to wait for my Garmin to recharge.

28 minutes ago, Alan McLean said:

Billy, I think group rides are ok. I'll bet all but the most hilly KOMs were done in bunch with tailwind anyway.

Even if you ban groups people will still work covertly with their pals, I know I would.

Only the very saddest person would then look through fly-bys etc to see who was domestique-ing who. (I do that too)

All fair in love and Strava. A sense of the ridiculousness is good.

I would get out more but I have to wait for my Garmin to recharge.

I’m trying to convince the misses that driving along with the boot lid open in the act of ultimate motor pacing is a legit segment of the week tactic. 

Thus far she is not buying it.