Saturday 29th

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hooray Hooray, 3 new inductees to single Hall of Fame. Robbie, Alex and George :) and two repeaters with me and Jan.

I reckon that was the easiest I have ever done the single probably due to a very measured and even effort for the difficult first 20 miles into the SW wind where we rode very smoothly. Up the west coast was a blast with the tailwind. It was a difficult day with quite a gusty wind but really no big problem for the team :)

So there are now more people in the pool of possibles for the 56+50 or the Grande Double

• 2023 Subscriptions

So the Arran Challenge done & I join the legends who have rode round the island without really seeing anything other than someone's back wheel.

Paul McD, McUlrich, Robbie & The Bairdinator worked like a well oiled sewing machine on a very windy day with Robbie keeping us moving over the early climbs. I struggled a bit here & had doubts I'd make it, I took my turn on the front to get a rest! but once we got to the fast tailwind sections I was able to contribute more.

Was touch & go for a bit as the pace dropped on the last hill &, maybe a bit self indulgently Alex & I forged on to ensure we made it while Jan & Paul waited to give Robbie, who was having a wee bad patch, a hand.

In the end all made it with time to spare with Alex & I recording the 2nd & 3rd best times by JWCC members-only beaten by Mr Archibald.

Lasagne & chips on the ferry was magic :)

Thanks for a great day guys :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cracking day and well done to the 3 new inductees

We further narrowed the time difference between going the longer coast route or the shortcut over the Ross (the difference now stands at about 6 minutes)....next year an attempt at the Grande Double has to be made.  Ohyadancer!

Brilliant day guys. Really enjoyed that. Glad the night shift docs changed their minds as I would have hated to miss it.

Tough start with an 18.9mph average for the first hour (the hilly bit) which was really tough going, with a total average of 20.1mph at the end. Couple of KOMs too, but no mention on the 50mph+ descent.

That's a must do classic! Checked my time from last year (albeit anti-clockwise) which was 3hrs 56mins, compared to 2hrs 45mins today.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Respect where it is due, Robbie had just come off a night shift !

Jan, more useful analysis, and you've sold me, the next attempt has to be a Grande. I reckon it will be not much harder than the Ross. What do you reckon, a minimum of 6 fully committed dudes preferably 8 with a controlled start like today? In fact a controlled first lap and a half.

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yeah sounds like the best strategy

Respect where it is due, Robbie had just come off a night shift !

Jan, more useful analysis, and you've sold me, the next attempt has to be a Grande. I reckon it will be not much harder than the Ross. What do you reckon, a minimum of 6 fully committed dudes preferably 8 with a controlled start like today? In fact a controlled first lap and a half.

Think the controlled start will be the key - at some point its going to become a right old sufferfest and its just a matter of making sure when that happens that we are close enough to the finish not to lose too much time. Im slowly coming to the conclusion that this whole Arran thing is practically a science!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Would one of you like to write up a report we could publish on the website with the hall of fame?

Jan, I reckon that duty would fall to me as it has been a mid life obsession. I will do this within a few days but would really appreciate any Hall of Famer's quotes or thoughts to include in the write up. Everyone has a book in them they say ! For example I would probably write up the time David T and I did a single in constant drizzle as a 2 up. The only way to describe it was Why oh Why did we we do it - there is no rational answer.