2016 Alps/Pyrenees

al yuille

• 2023 Subscriptions

Al, just my thought

I felt like the luckiest guy in Liege as I was there about 3pm Thursday and had a 30 mile jolly down to la Redoute. Soaked up the atmosphere of camper vans arriving and people making their pitch.

Then did similar run on Friday, a bit longer, met a few random people along the way, and rode la Redoute again whe there were dozens of photographers etc out trying to snap the pro's. Lots of banter and encouragement from the barbecue and afternoon vino team on the climb.

Then sportive Saturday.

The only thing I think could have made it better would be sportive Sunday so easy run Saturday, longer run Friday. You can pack a lot into 5 days if you put your mind to it. So my tuppence worth is,

Thus - easy late afternoon run loosen legs.

Fri - longish run, acclimatise, get the feel for the area and explore

Saturday - maybe 40 miles with at least 2 cafe and cake stops ( Alan and I did 60 miles day before NC and had 3 cake stops but that was only because the poor guy didn't get his bike till the day before! )

Sunday - sportive

Monday travel home, might as well be travelling when your exhausted and not capable of any more riding.

:)

• 2024 Subscriptions

All and Al especially

I like Paul's idea because it gives a focus for getting fit and it is at a time when many of the tour cols will still have snow/ bad weather. I know the Mortirolo can also have bad weather at this time of year, but we won't be riding it everyday, compared with riding Tour cols for a week.

However, I am still dead keen to go to France. I have a plan and intend to go late August or September for precisely the sort of thing Al suggests. I would have gone this year but for a family event. Anyone will be welcome to join me. I realise not everyone will be able to squeeze two trips in, but for those that can, why not?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Al, sportives make me happy, so there. I'll be honest and say sometimes not so happy during the actual event but certainly afterwards.

And I reckon the Stelvio Mortirolo double is high up on the bucket list of things to do whilst still upright.

YOLO

PS. On a quick review of the thread it seems that we may have a substantial group, irrespective of the number of days people can commit to. Looks like it'll be a case of the usual advance party with mid week reinforcement flying in. Would second much of the comment on focus for training etc. Al, you'll be sick of reading all the posts by March and you will be with us, you just haven't accepted that reality yet.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

Billy, your preliminary enquiries into logistics look excellent. You can fly out 0640 from Glasgow, one change at Gatwick a bit unfortunate but you are still in Milan 1215. Looks like a near 3 hour drive but there is no easy way to get to Bormio. And price of £220 return is very good if you consider all the low costs boys will charge 50 Euros each way for bike.

Next question will be who is ok driving in Italy. I am fine and happy to drive mini bus or whatever I am allow to hire. Maybe one mini bus one van or something.