Golden Roads and Standing Stones 300km Audax - Sat 5th Jul

Have now entered this Audax starting in Stornoway....

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-119/

Planning to leave car in Ullapool and catch the ferry to Stornoway on the Fri night. Crashing at event HQ gym on Fri and Sat night and returning on the ferry to Ullapool on the Sun.

As usual, company welcome.

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions

ALAN

SEE YOU THERE I WILL BE THERE FROM THE THURSDAY TO THE MONDAY

CLIMBING CLISHAM ON THE THURSDAY CYCLING ON THE FRIDAY, 300 ON THE SATURDAY & THE 200 ON THE SUNDAY. HOME MONDAY.

CAMPBELL

PS WHAT TIME DOES YOUR FERRY GET IN ON THE FRIDAY.

Campbell,

Ferry gets in at 20:00.

Time for at least 6 pints on Friday night :rolleyes:

• Life Members

ALAN

SEE YOU THERE I WILL BE THERE FROM THE THURSDAY TO THE MONDAY

CLIMBING CLISHAM ON THE THURSDAY CYCLING ON THE FRIDAY, 300 ON THE SATURDAY & THE 200 ON THE SUNDAY. HOME MONDAY.

CAMPBELL

PS WHAT TIME DOES YOUR FERRY GET IN ON THE FRIDAY.

Campbell,

Sounds like you're having an easy weekend then :-)

Seriously though, sounds epic! Good luck with all your cycling & walking and hope weather will be great for youse!

Cheers

Chung

KENNY

BUTTY BUS AT LEVERBURGH IS ONE OF THE CHECK POINTS SO WE WILL BE SAMPLING IT.

ALAN

WILL SEE YOU OF THE FERRY ON THE FRIDAY. I HAVE BOOKED INTO ONE OF THE ROOMS FOR 4 NIGHTS IN THE BAYHEAD BRIDGE CENTRE (HQ) THOUGHT I WOOD GO FOR SUM COMFORT.

CAMPBELL

PS NOW BEERS FOR ME IT WILL BE HARD ENOUGH WITH OUT BEER BEING INVOLVED.

• 3 weeks later...

Started out with Campbell at 06:00 from Stornoway in glorious sunshine after a night on the gym floor (Campbell went with the luxury bedroom option!) The weather held all day with the exception of a heavy shower whilst enjoying a Stornoway Black Pudding/Egg roll on the Butty Bus. A bonus to have sun and no midges for the whole day.

Stunning scenery down the west coast of Harris to Leverburgh at the Southernmost tip was better then I remembered from my last visit. White sandy beaches stretching for miles. A pleasure to cycle. Returned from Leverburgh on The Golden Road on the East of Harris. Different scenery and a roller coaster road. If you're ever on Harris then I recommend a pedal on this road.

Returned back to Lewis via the one major climb of the day (covered from the North and South.) Not as bad as I thought it would be...not too steep, but long drag. Scenery on Lewis not as good, long stretches of straight roads through barren landscape. Near the Callanish Stones there was also the matter of a short, sharp 15% climb...not ideal after carrot cake.

Last 30 odd miles from the Butt of Lewis lighthouse to Stornoway was hard work into a head wind and on a road that always seemed to be going up. Legs got no reprieve.

Garmin reported over 10,000 ft of climbing over the 188.8 miles in 13hr 13min of cycling.

In contention for best day on a bike to date for me and rice pudding never tasted so good...