Sunday 23rd Feb - Reliability #4 - West Kilbride

Ramsay

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Today falls into the Wind Impacted Main Peleton Scenario category.

W-I-M-P-S

From what I could see there was plenty of goretex on show so a wee bit of wind & rain shouldn't have sent you lot mincing up the clune.

Iain & I manned up & carried on to Largs. Pretty grim along the coast so just spelled about.

At one point I was doing 15mph & 300 watts!

At Largs we hit the bagel basket where we met Gummmers & Rosco.

We then manfully fought the headwind up the Haylie before two upping into kilbirnie & home.

68 miles in the bank.

Q. What happens if it rains in Roubaix? It does rain there, doesn't it? :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

so that's why no-one caught me.

Left the house late, got to Morrisons at 09.29 so thought I'd wait there for you all. No show by 9.40 so headed off thinking I must have missed everyone again. Took a wee short cut through Kilmacolm and down the Clune, figuring that a bunch of hard riders like youse would catch me at some point.

Caught Mia at Cappielow to find out that she was the sole member of the 09.00 bunch to have left the clubrooms (rider of the day, surely). Rode with her down to Largs (breezy, damp) where she succumbed to the delights of the BB and the Haylie. I carried on, waiting in vain for the sound of a galloping bunch.

Rode the rest of the planned route and back to the clubrooms at 2.00. All locked up so just headed for home.

With the shortcut that made 63miles Johnstone - Johnstone.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Major respect for the real hardened cyclists that did the full trip. The rest of us took the shortcut up Clunie and over to Kilmacolm . I bailed at bridge of weir and headed home for a hot shower, clocking 30 miles in total. Disappointing day and definitely not fun.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Rain, I can deal with - Scotland doesn't have a roof after all.

Paris-Roubaix is not know for gale force winds though. And I did it on the Tacx today anyway. Although to be fair, they make the cobbled sections more difficult by increasing the resistance not by trying to shake out your fillings!!!

• Life Members

Well done to Mia, Martin, George & Iain for doing the longer route in bogging weather!

George, why not join in the Paris Roubaix fun with the Wheelers, if any thing just to show how it should be done proper since you're so manly.

Who knows, it should give you something to shout about, not that you're the type to mind you ;-)

Billy, PR is feared for a few things - the distance for sure, but as everyone knows more so the Pave (cobble) sections which is obviously a nightmare to ride on & the punishing effect on the bike, which is why the riders bike have to be specially adapted to survive the race. Of course the weather can make the ride harder for sure but it's not the definitive factor!

Anyway, thanks for wheels today guys, not the best of days to be on the bike. Also, thumbs up to Andrew for supplying the filled rolls back at the clubroom!

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members

Hey Chung, how are you planning on adapting your bike for PR?

Hello Martin,

Easy, some RockShox on the front and 35mm tyres .................... I wish!

Serious though, manage to get me self a set of 32 spokes alloy tubular rims from Wheelsmith with 25mm (that's as far as my bike will take) tubular tyres hopefully avoiding the dreaded pinch flats. Gel inserts on the bar with extra bar tape, 2 pairs of shorts on the day etc! But all that is irrelevant if I'M not up for it though!

Have you ever ridden on any of the pave section before? Any tips you may want to share on how to tackle these pesky pave would be welcome, Martin!

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Wheels sound good Chung - just get one of these frames to go with it - that'll do the trick.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fZgGddNMUZA/TaHd_0qBhnI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/3HJy4qyuhco/s1600/bianchipez2.jpg

Ive not ridden the PR pave. Watched it from the roadside in the Arenberg forest one time, and the cobbles there are just vicious looking. Make the neat manicured cobbles of Flanders look like a smooth paved road.

Best advice I know is to keep the pressure on the chain at all times. Ride a bigger gear than normal so the chain is always under tension and reduce the chance of unshipping it. Got to try to 'float' over the tops of the cobbles.