Main Bunch 5th Jan 2014

Mark O

1st Sunday run of the New Year. Woooo! only 4 weeks until he first reliability of the year.

Almost full Coast in reverse (if icy we'll revert to the normal route heading for Bishy first)

Depart Miller Street 09.15 as the mornings are still darkish. Proposed route is

Track to Lochwinnoch then main road (A737) to Beith, turning for Gateside and then Barrmill. Top side of the Barrmill circuit and onto Kilwinning and the 3 Towns (Stevenston, Ardrossan and Saltcoats) All steady pace! (high teens in line with of late)

Up the coast thru W. Kilbride, Fairlie and onto Largs. Pace here will be upped slightly - not daft speeds but brisk (20-25 or thereabouts) on the flats with a tail wind no doubt. Longer turns for stronger riders but keeping the bunch together. Habble into Largs if safe. Expect to work a little and hang on if necessary from Fairlie. If we go through Bishy first the the pace will go up after the climb at Wemyss Bay.

BB for cafe stop, then steady again up the coast as far as the Westferry and Bishy. Stronger riders to the front on the Westferry with the aim of maintaining a strong but NOT eyeballs out pace, with a regroup if required at the roundabout before the climb up to Bishy. Habble at Bishy if desired and if legs allow.

This is NOT a training ride, it remains a club run with the bunch keeping together and the usual rules for mechanicals, hill top regroups and bust riders being brought back to the bunch applying. The aim is to allow the regular main bunchers a good run but at the same time let those training for sportives, events or racing a bit of a work out without it all falling to bits on the road. It is intended to be only marginally more challenging than what we've been doing of late and completely doable for all those that have been out regularly during Nov and Dec. This is in no way a ride people off the bunch and into the ground exercise.

I'm intentionally being pedantic and spelling this out so that everyone knows what is happening. If you're fit and going well expect to work for longer at the front but not necessarily harder. If less fit expect to work a little harder than of late but on shorter turns and to be looked after and sheltered as necessary.

Who is riding?

Skinny

PS Charlie, no route changes will be considered, so there!

Guest john_s

Will try to hang on to the BB but the thought of the A737 is not good. Why not stay on the track to Glengarnock, take road below A737 to the Highfield, cross the A737 and straight on Kilwinning.. All quiet roads to Kilwinning.

Guest George

Also out with plaque day 7

Try some Colgate :)

Will try for tomorrow but I have somehow managed to bang outside of left thigh & inside of left knee in same fall.

Knee really sore but will see how it is in the morning.

• Life Members

Hi all,

I'm not sure who's in or who not now, but I intend to be at the clubroom for 9.15am tomorrow.

Looking at the forecast now, it should stay dry till early afternoon. Also given the fact that I'm not great with Marks planned route, therefore can I suggest that are still coming (sorry Mark) maybe a shorter, simpler route than the one suggested - West Kilbride via Dalry, then BB for coffee and up the coast with a tail wind back to civilization, hopefully!

Just my suggestion though, but happy to do the full route as Mark posted if the majority decide to do so.

Hope weather gets better for tomorrow!

See you all tomorrow.

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi all,

I'm not sure who's in or who not now, but I intend to be at the clubroom for 9.15am tomorrow.

Looking at the forecast now, it should stay dry till early afternoon. Also given the fact that I'm not great with Marks planned route, therefore can I suggest that are still coming (sorry Mark) maybe a shorter, simpler route than the one suggested - West Kilbride via Dalry, then BB for coffee and up the coast with a tail wind back to civilization, hopefully!

Just my suggestion though, but happy to do the full route as Mark posted if the majority decide to do so.

Hope weather gets better for tomorrow!

See you all tomorrow.

Cheers

Chung

Think you'll find when you get to west kilbride you've reached civilisation Chung!

Afraid I won't be out tomorrow. Renfra bunch enough for me and a cheeky wee turbo session in the morning. Most importantly uber brownie points with my lovely wife

Have a great ride

Andy