Worth considering Al. I'm with Ginty on the mileage though, 60 miles from Glasgow to Inveraray - have just driven it this morning and there's a good bit to go after that to Campbeltown.

After 130ish miles I can't see anyone resisting the urge to rehydrate for 3 and a half hours on the boat. Will probably a case of yellow and blue locusts cleaning out the cafe before descending on the bar.

Got a date in mind?

Yup Charlie - about 100 if using Gourock and Portavadie ferries. I think this makes for a nicer route than going all the way round. The A83 is pretty busy and not that scenic . Better to take the ferries for quieter roads and then do the east side of the Kintyre peninsula.

A date will as usual be problematic. Runs already in for next 2 weeks . Week after is our Wosca on Sat and Millport on Sun. I am then away in the Alps for 2 weeks on the MTB - not back till 10th July. July 15 ? Feel free to go without me !

A slight problem with the rehydration plan is that the train will only take a few bikes so if there is a reasonable bunch it will be wobble home or arrange pick ups.

• 3 weeks later...