Tour of Cumbrae RR - Sunday 23rd June 2013

Jannza

• 1 month later...

Another fun day at Millport it started with a nice run down to Largs with Paul and Davie B these guys were riding there second race of the weekend

As usual it was very windy and a small field left the start line into a head wind I hung about st the back first climb pace ok fas down and fast for a bit along the coast second climb sat near the front doing a fair bit of work on the decent got a wee break but it only lasted a few mins 3 time up was of the back a bit this went up to last climb two made a move didn't think they would stay away so wasn't botherd came back along the coast we were closing the gap but soon enough not all was working caught one of them then decided to go for first loser so sat in then sprinted before we could see the markers finished second with Al third

Then rule 5 and cycled home 91 miles of fun

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done Billy with a great 2nd place and riding home afterwards. I want to get it out there now, I stood up in the ferry and realised the lights were about to go out so cadged a lift home, I passed Billy on the Heely looking very happy.

Anyway in the 40's race, which was decimated in numbers this year largely due to the other race in Glasgow, I had a really great day out where I spent 5 of the 6 laps in the company of new vet Gordon Murdoch, Jim Cusick and Mark Skilling. I was only doing about 1 in 3 of the spells I should whilst the other 3 worked smoothly. On the final lap which was 7th time up the climb Jim racked it up from the bottom and I got pumped when my legs just said enough. Rode round to finish 4th.

What actually is Rule 5 ?

Well done Billy and Paul....that was some 1st group indeed with no place to hide, way too hot for me.

Another good day of cycling and banter just a pity about the low turnout but obviously a bit of an event in Glasgow today.

D

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Excellent stuff guys. Brilliant!

Must have been mighty windy over there.

I'll have a pint of what Billy's injecting :)

I believe rule 5 is "man up"

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great race reports from Billy and Paul. I have to say that was hard work today finding myself in a small group of brilliant experienced riders. I got dropped on the 2nd climb after Jim Cusick kicked and began a long chase back to the 3rd. Pondered chucking it but stuck the head down. The hardest part was the turn north out of Millport into the wind. On 6th climb I caught sight of 50s group heading up the main road. This gave me another boost to keep working!

Thanks to Bill for encouragement on the climb too. Race said 40 miles. I clocked 48 on Strava!

Thanks Paul for loan of smaller top!

Andy

Guest GEORGE DONNELLY

Don't want to know your private life, iain and Billy you stud muffins!

+1. They really are the club hunks :)

btw andyssandro got 5th!

Legs were ok Jann - Just lost concentration and was in the wrong gear. Got pumped oot the back on the first climb with the over 40' s not surprising as it was as Andy says a quality group with our own Paul doing lot's of work at the front. Did a bit of solo riding before the o 50's came back and was promptly told not to interfere with the race so spent most of the time at the back. Sat in comfortably for the remaining laps but didn't do the extra 6th lap that o 40's were meant to do as had had enough by that point. Well done to all the joansin but poor turn out from other clubs compared to previous years