New Kit Design Discussion

KennyS

The tradional colours of the club are royal blue, white and a warm almost golden yellow. For one reason or another, the kit is now blue and a yellow yellow with white having been almost dropped entirely

With the 2013 season kit needing ordered over the next couple of months, now may be good time to discuss possible re-design of the existing kit

Below is a link the more traditional design of the jersey

photo.php?fbid=1408506901169&set=o.146464092056361&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 361&type=1

If you have any ideas please sketch them up and post for discussion

KennyS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with Jann 1 club 1 outfit although i am interested in in looking at new designs for the kit using blue , white and yellow my only other suggestion would be the shorts as everyone doesnt wear club ones why not make them black that way we all look the same

Greig

I for one would welcome a return to traditional colours and design, including plain black shorts.

The current strip is very close to a number of other clubs e.g. Lomond Roads, Dunfermline CC, even Fullerton Wheelers, Berwick CC etc. Personally, I also think it's pretty vile and dated! It's undeniable strong suit is it's high viz properties.

The traditional design I remember from the late 60s/early 70s was essentially a royal blue jersey with a broad white band round the middle, edged with two narrow gold bands. In the version I had, JWCC was embroidered in blue capitals in the white band - that was dropped in subsequent versions. The only photo I have is black & white as befits the times! Kenny's photo is obviously a later derivative. At that time most club jerseys featured band or hooped designs - the one which has not changed at all is the Nightingale (very close to the Belgian national colours) and it still looks great/instantly recognisable.

Go for timeless retro elegance say I!

Iain

I kinda like the current jersey but would look nicer with a modern lettering font.

The jersey i remember is from the early 80s which was yellow with a blue & white panel down the sides.

Very dapper.

Don't fancy a blue retro jersey.What next, front chest pockets? :grin:

I'm sure we could have both blue or black shorts to please all.

Or how about a team sky style jersey but in club colours!

How cool would that be? Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

I would prefer elovusion rather than revolution. Because if we change too drastically, then I have hundreds of pounds worth of kit that I can't race in! I'm sure this is the case for many.

I actually like the current kit.

Will discuss on Monday.

R

• Members

Losing the gold of the old-fashioned jerseys for our current lurid yellow was a great shame. I think the '80s design is much nicer than what we have now, but money talks, and for that reason alone, I would also prefer that we made no dramatic changes. I don't want hundreds of pounds worth of kit rendered obsolete when there's lots of wear left in it.

As Ramsay says, it can be discussed on Monday, but inevitably by a sub set of members - it would be good to hear a broader cross-section of views.

To be clear; Ramsay and George have as much right to favour the present colours/strip as Richard and I have to lament it - beauty/eye of beholder etc. If most folk want to stay as it is, so be it.

On the issue of obsolescence, not at all sure the case stands up - Richie seems, to me at any rate, to have a firmer grasp on the matter - use it till it's done! For example, I and many others have non current JWCC kit - I just use it - even if we changed nominated colours to pink/purple, the older gear would just be used for training/general cycling purposes. In due course it might even be regarded as collectable retro. A jersey, for instance, is "obsolete" with every change of sponsor - it is not overnight unfit for cycling purpose. I will use what I have till it drops off me to ensure value - heaven knows it is expensive enough.

Whilst, those (relatively few) members (myself included) who race in open events would, quite rightly, prefer to race in club colours, even that is not actually a requirement. Generally all you need is a club jersey/ skinsuit according to whim or taste or a plain non-black outfit. Even the best cared for kit doesn't last forever, particularly shorts/skinsuits etc. Clubs change kit design/colours quite regularly - it needn't be a trauma. I suppose if it wasn't for revolution we'd all still be riding penny farthings, not expensive carbon road and TT bikes.

Front pockets? Perhaps not for racing kit, but Rapha and others do rather well out of quality/retro designs - it actually seems to be a bit of a winner (post modern perhaps?).

When I came back to cycling 5 years ago there were two main reasons for choosing JWCC; 1) unashamed sentimentality - boyhood club/ fond memories etc 2) JWCC are a club with history back to 1926 - we are, I suppose, something of a heritage brand ourselves, with links back to cycling history not just as a sporting but also as a social movement.

To my mind that makes us a bit special. Why would a heritage club not proudly use its traditional club colours?

Anyway, just my thoughts - consensus may prove elusive - it usually does with cyclists! I'm off now to press my plus 2s for Monday's meeting! Come with me to the Casbah.

Iain

As Ramsay says, it can be discussed on Monday, but inevitably by a sub set of members - it would be good to hear a broader cross-section of views.

To be clear; Ramsay and George have as much right to favour the present colours/strip as Richard and I have to lament it - beauty/eye of beholder etc. If most folk want to stay as it is, so be it.

On the issue of obsolescence, not at all sure the case stands up - Richie seems, to me at any rate, to have a firmer grasp on the matter - use it till it's done! For example, I and many others have non current JWCC kit - I just use it - even if we changed nominated colours to pink/purple, the older gear would just be used for training/general cycling purposes. In due course it might even be regarded as collectable retro. A jersey, for instance, is "obsolete" with every change of sponsor - it is not overnight unfit for cycling purpose. I will use what I have till it drops off me to ensure value - heaven knows it is expensive enough.

Whilst, those (relatively few) members (myself included) who race in open events would, quite rightly, prefer to race in club colours, even that is not actually a requirement. Generally all you need is a club jersey/ skinsuit according to whim or taste or a plain non-black outfit. Even the best cared for kit doesn't last forever, particularly shorts/skinsuits etc. Clubs change kit design/colours quite regularly - it needn't be a trauma. I suppose if it wasn't for revolution we'd all still be riding penny farthings, not expensive carbon road and TT bikes.

Front pockets? Perhaps not for racing kit, but Rapha and others do rather well out of quality/retro designs - it actually seems to be a bit of a winner (post modern perhaps?).

When I came back to cycling 5 years ago there were two main reasons for choosing JWCC; 1) unashamed sentimentality - boyhood club/ fond memories etc 2) JWCC are a club with history back to 1926 - we are, I suppose, something of a heritage brand ourselves, with links back to cycling history not just as a sporting but also as a social movement.

To my mind that makes us a bit special. Why would a heritage club not proudly use its traditional club colours?

Anyway, just my thoughts - consensus may prove elusive - it usually does with cyclists! I'm off now to press my plus 2s for Monday's meeting! Come with me to the Casbah.

Iain

Well put, Mr Cowden

No rush to make any decisions. This is an open discussion regarding the design of kit we currently have and where we want to take it

I used the link as an example, as members have mentioned that they don't like the current shade of yellow, and also to give an example of where the design has been in the past

We have a month or so to get some ideas / comment so please bring both forward

With regards to obsolete kit, a look at any pics from club runs or races shows a myriad of kit from over the years.

KennyS

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have just checked the BC/SC race rules, and if I understand them correctly, essentially it states that you must wear registered club colours in any open event, unless a youth or fourth cat. The club constitution also states that club clothing must be worn in confined events, or entirely plain kit.

Even if you could wear plain kit (which I have very little of), it doesn't detract from the fact that I have 2 skinsuits, 5 pairs of shorts, 2 s/s tops, 1 l/s top, 1 gilet, 1 windex, 2 3/4's etc.... As I'm sure do others. Hence the reason for suggesting evolution in the kit, rather than a complete change.

I also find it rather disrespectful to the sponsors if club members are not showing off their kit with the sponsors names etc, as they do contribute to the club. I do appreciate that lots of people, including me, wear slightly out of date kit with different sponsors, but they are the same registered colours and still have our current sponsors.

Finally, while i like the current kit and am very proud to wear it to train and race in, I wouldn't be averse to some updates. Perhaps as Kenny suggests, a change of yellow is what is needed, although if we go to gold, then we end up looking even more like Lomond Roads! :-?

Oh yeah, my final final :oops: is that I feel slightly safer wearing a bright yellow and blue on the roads, than many other not so visible kits.

Anyway, I'm a civil engineer and know nothing about clothing design, so don't take my word for it! :lol:

R

I quite like the current kit, but mainly as it mirrors Warrington Rugby League's famous Primrose and Blue colours!

Just a note on obsolete kit, Velo Club Cumbria were changing their kit quite radically just as I left, but even then there were a variety of generations of kit being worn at confined and even open events. I'm fairly certain Brian Payton's pasty derierre will still be poking out of the pin-holes on his 10 year old skinsuit when I ride Whinlatter at the end of the month.

People just tend to replace stuff as it needs replaced, it's no reason to not make changes and most commissaires aren't going to be fussed as long as your kit is vaguely the right colour and says "Johnstone Wheelers" on it.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Aw right Mark? Good to see your post on here. Hopefully we will see you out in the JWCC colours, whatever the design, before too long. By the way, I still have the classic jersey you gave me years ago. I'll wear it for the next club run now that the retro look is back!

Hope to see you soon Oh ya dancer !

Hi, Mark

Spotted you from afar at Paisley. Must agree that the 80/90s style is a favourite (nostalgic?) favourite of mine. You fancy lunch this week?

Darryl, you need to get it out there. As a Schoolboy I was given an old Endrust jersey from Drew Murray. Shame my mother threw it out when moving house as I reckon I could probably still squeeze into it

• Members

Hi Darryl. I’m keen for the bike, so hope to be out, as long as the body’s up for it! The club is looking very good these days :grin:

Hi Kenny. Top marks for the Paisley race day – never thought I’d see such a big event in the town centre. Regarding the Endrust jersey, that wouldn’t be the same jersey that played a part in the crates of beer that fell off the back of the lorry incident, would it?! :grin:

I’m free for lunch this Friday or next week, so just drop me a line whenever suits you?

Cheers for now,

Mark

Good debate guys. It's pretty apalling that all of those other clubs have such little imagination and copied the JWCC kit. Other links to 80's / 90's kit pics;

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l141/ ... img016.jpg

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l141/ ... img018.jpg

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l141/ ... img025.jpg

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l141/ ... Weds10.jpg

As an idea..............some fabulous kits have existed in the past by clubs nicking the design from pro teams and changing the wording. Examples.....

Team Caledonia - pinched the Motorola colours

Bonnyrigg CC - Classic Banesto jersey

Liverpool Mercury - PDM (80's)

Deeside and Inverclyde Velo had the same layout as a pro team (can't remember which one?) and just changed the colours.

Where am I leading to with this? How about using this design;

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/team-gb ... -50007435/

And changing the colours to Royal Blue / White / Gold ???