New Kit Design Discussion

KennyS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Richard, when checking can you also check if alternative suppliers can provide a full range of bespoke clothing to suit sizes from 6yr old to XXL? The combined orders for both the Jets and Wheelers can be in excess of £7k and can attract reasonable discount. If you want details of the last order I can email it over to you

I did a bit of googling for custom kit manufacturers a week or so ago. Some of these websites are rather impenetrable, English-as-a-second-language creations, so I picked a top-three based on how understandable the ordering process was and sent off some emails.

Here's the bare bones of it:

Giordana

- Order time: Up to 10 weeks for the first order.

- Minimum order of 30 tops and 30 bottoms. At least 10 of each garment.

- Kids' sizes available for short/long-sleeve jerseys, winter jackets, and bib shorts.

- Pricing structure based on number of colours in the design. Possible discounts seem rather limited to me (the prices quoted are for orders of 10-100 of any given item, so it doesn't change unless you order more than 100.

- Glasgow Ivy use Giordana.

Impsport

- Order time: 6-8 weeks during peak summer months.

- No minimum order.

- £100 charge for new artwork, £50 of which is refunded with the first order of 12 or more garments.

- The pricing structure is based on the number of each garment ordered. There are five bands: up to five items; 6 to 12; 13 to 49; 50 to 99; 100 to 199; and 200 plus.

- Kids' sizes available on all items on their price list apart from the winter training jacket, the rain gilet and the rain jacket.

- Delivery charged at cost to Impsport.

- Edinburgh Road Club and Dunfermline CC use Impsport.

Carvalho Custom

- Order time: Four weeks, possibly longer at peak periods. (They close for Christmas and two weeks in August, too.)

- Minimum order of five of each item - unless the total order value is greater than 1,500 euros. (The last two Wheelers orders comfortably make this total even without including the Jets order.)

- New design charge of 150 euros.

- Discounts based on total order value: 1,500 euros - 5%; 2,500 euros - 7%; 5,000 euros - 10%.

- Prices quoted on their site do not include 23% sales tax. (Tax registered companies do not pay this, but I suspect that doesn't apply to us.)

- No off-the-peg kids' sizes. (They can do sizes that aren't on the sizing chart on a case by case basis.)

- Delivery charged at cost (approximately one euro per item.)

- Ayr Road Club and Paisley Velo use Carvalho Custom.

If there is an appetite for change, hopefully the details above give you some idea of how these companies work and the factors that would have to be considered. Should you happen to know anyone in one of the cycling clubs using these firms, perhaps you could ask them about their experiences with the company in question and what they make of their club kit.

Thanks Richard.

The CTC also use Impsport - I found them very helpful when buying a skinsuit recently - they happily sent me a sample for sizing - for an order of 1 item!

Glasgow Wheelers also use Carvalho - I see there is now an option on their website enabling members to order kit direct form Carvahlo on an individual basis.

Iain

Why as a Scotish club are we looking for suppliers outwith Scotland

Good point Billy. I'm happy enough with the Endura kit unless we were after a different material.

Don't know if the Endura thing was because it seemed to take ages for the order to come through but don't think that's an issue if the winter stuff is ordered in July and the summer stuff in Dec to be sure.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Iain C wrote

Glasgow Wheelers also use Carvalho - I see there is now an option on their website enabling members to order kit direct form Carvahlo on an individual basis.

The "enabling members to order kit direct form Carvahlo on an individual basis" bit is very appealing ...

Because there appears to be a degree of dissatisfaction with the quality, sizing and turnaround times which Endura have offered the club in the last 2 years. The Endura kit I have bought through the club is notably inferior to Endure kit I have bought as a private individual with little variation in cost. I like the kit I have bought outwith the club. The fit and quality is good and has lasted years. Club kit in my experience is done after a year.

One would think given the level of business which Endura could generate from clubs such as ours they would be providing the best quality and service they could. In my opinion they have fallen short of what we as a club should be demanding. I'm all for supporting home grown businesses but if their competitors can provide better quality garments that fit well and in a shorter time period then they'll get my bucks. That's business dear boy.

Given the current economic climate we should be shopping around for a kit supplier. Let them come to us and offer us their best rather than us accepting in my opinion is inferior club kit. Having spoken to a rider from another club who also use Endura for club kit it seems we are not alone in our grumbles.

I accept the arguments regards having to sort out sizes and designs etc with a new supplier but its a buyers market out their. People want our business if they are going to get it they should be ticking all our boxes to our satisfaction. Bottom line customer is king and always right - even when they are wrong.

M