New Kit Design Discussion

KennyS

Cheers for posting those pictures HVR. Its a real throwback to a different epoch, its great to see retro images like that.

I have a vested interest in this, given I have purchased, over the last few years, well over a dozen items of club kit totaling hundreds of pounds.

I make no secret of the fact that I don't like the current incarnation of kit. I too believed that whilst taking part in open events its difficult to tell the difference between Lomond Roads guys and our lot.

Incidentally, I agree with with the the suggestion to adopt an existing design to be tailored to our spec. This was adopted with some panache by Bath CC. They used the iconic Once strip replacing the ONCE chest graphic with BATH you get the idea.

My personal preference would be to use the first generation Leopard Trek kit as a base with our colors incorporated. Black shorts with white lettering too. Less is more.

Good for cyclo x. Its a nightmare getting the mud out of those banana man shorts.

Perhaps three options could be proposed, and shot down or approved as applicable?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Committee

What an interesting topic.

I like the current kit, it is not beautiful but I am used to it and can recognise a wheeler from about 1000 yards. I share Ramsay's views about hi-viz; it does stand out in the road.

But I would love to see the design properly reviewed. Isn't it interesting that people have commented on Sky and Trek kit? I agree that these are really nice clean designs and I would love kit like that.

We have members at the Glasgow School of Art, an iconic design institution. We have a professional printer in our midst. Let's get some contacts from them and commission a graduate GSA student or a young graphic designer to draw up a design within the manufacturers constraints.

This is a great opportunity to get our brand out there and feel better about ourselves

I have about four hundred quid of jwcc kit and I wouldn't mind 5-10% of future cost going towards some really cool modern design. Just stick a 10% design premium on next season's kit. In other words it is worth forty quid to me to get this sorted but I appreciate that others will feel this too much. But if you can afford a beautifully logo'd carbon race bike then why not pay another three quid for a really well designed jersey? Everything else we use has been designed properly, please don't ask the committee to get their crayons out for the next iteration.

You will gather that I would like to see more than a font change.

Good luck Kenny.

Alan

• Members

After reading the comments above and having spoken to a few people, my initial reluctance to see change has faded.

The aesthete in me is still offended by the thought of a multi-coloured bunch sporting a range of different jerseys; the miser doesn't want to pay for new kit with a different design when I've got a dozen items in our current blue and yellow. Having thought about it, though, perhaps these aren't adequate reasons for opposing a redesign. If we adopt that attitude then we're stuck with what we've got indefinitely. I'll end up buying more club kit in the spring anyway; there's no real reason why it shouldn't be an updated version.

Like Alan, I'd like to see this done properly by someone with a design background (if there is an appetite for change.) Part of the brief could be to take on board the thoughts and ideas of the membership and come up with a few designs for further discussion. For my part, I'd like to see the gold make a reappearance, and I do prefer top half and bottom half to match. I'm not keen on black shorts when there's no black in the jersey.

I wouldn't be averse to exploring the possibility of a different manufacturer for club kit, too. Quite apart from sizing issues and the extraordinary length of time it takes orders to arrive, I'm not impressed with the quality of Endura's garments. I can show you jerseys and shorts that are barely four months old where the material has started to bobble and the stitching unpick itself.

As an aside on the supplier.... There have been various comments surrounding Endura and changing to other suppliers. Of course, we don't need to stay with Endura. Particularly if we're unhappy with quality or sizing. Although there's always the risk with another supplier who's not just down the road. To be fair to Endura they have replaced items that have failed without question. The difference in sizing from order to order is maybe a different matter

In terms of delivery Endura normally quote maximum 12 weeks from design approval and deposit but, depending on loading, can cut a few weeks off of this.

Richard, when checking can you also check if alternative suppliers can provide a full range of bespoke clothing to suit sizes from 6yr old to XXL? The combined orders for both the Jets and Wheelers can be in excess of £7k and can attract reasonable discount. If you want details of the last order I can email it over to you

KennyS

MY THOUGHTS

I HAVE TO BE HONEST I THINK THE TOP IS NIECE ALSO VERY PRACTICAL FOR SAFETY AS IT STANDS OUT WELL WHILE CYCLING IN TOWN & IN THE COUNTRY, THE YELLOW ALSO STAND OUT WELL IN THE FADING LIGHT AS THE SUN GOES DOWN OR RISES IF EARLY MORNING.

THE THOUGHTS OF A LONG DISTANCE CYCLIST. Hello, beer !!

CAMPBELL

• Members
Richard, when checking can you also check if alternative suppliers can provide a full range of bespoke clothing to suit sizes from 6yr old to XXL? The combined orders for both the Jets and Wheelers can be in excess of £7k and can attract reasonable discount. If you want details of the last order I can email it over to you

KennyS

I'll PM you my email address.

Chung

I like it what would it look like if u reversed the colours on the back so that the back is the opposite of the front ie blue. Where yellow and yellow where blue

One other point could a thin line of colour run around the logo

• Life Members

Alan & All,

I was merely coming with some sort of visual as a starting point after all the comments and suggestion from everyone. It always helps with a visual rather than just words. It took me a whole 25 minutes to come up with that........hence the spelling error. :shock:

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members

Alan, thanks & I appreciate your warning. You're right - this could get messy! :-?

Just thought I mention this about the Edinburgh Road Club's kit. I believe they had a new jersey design recently which I quite like (all red). I was over in Edinburgh yesterday & popped into The Tricentre bike shop in South Clark Street. In the shop they actually stocked a large range of the ERC gear which you can buy just off the shelf, everything from short sleeves to skin suits, even junior size kits too. How good is that!

Here is a link to the supplier of their kit:

http://www.yourclubshop.co.uk/clubs.asp?ClubCatId=1

P.S Alan, I didn't do the design on a website, I just did it with Illustrator software. ;-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hello all, committee member reporting here ( :shock: )

At Monday's meeting Iain Cowden (the voice of reason) proposed an online survey of alll members to get views on kit design, cost, supplier and etc so that we can (hopefully) arrive at a consensus.

We're just working on a draft of that and will send to all members by PM as soon as it is ready.

Good to hear all the views and possible alternatives.

(PS personally I think the new ERC kit is boggin :grin: )

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ive missed this thread for the most part unfortunently due to phone internet surfing...anyway....I really like Chungs Kit design, Kind of a modern twist on the retro look? Make Sense?

Further to the thread, MartinMul's comment on the ERC Kit was hilarious! :D

Greg