Club Day out - Sat 22nd or Sun 23rd

Ramsay

I cannot make it this weekend - doing something with the in-laws (groan!).

Agree with Billy that we should do it again later.

A bit more notice would be better so I've more time to get out of doing something else!

Paul C

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2023 Subscriptions

Right, looks like Sunday (23rd) is a goer! :grin:

It's a shame that a few more can't make it, but not everyone can always make every weekend.. :cry:

It sounds like there will be two groups going, a longer route and a shorter route (no fast or slow!). At the moment the shorter route sounds like Jan, Willie, Mary and Grant, with the longer route Myself, Ian McG, Martin, Paul and David. Darryl, Ian M and James have said they are keen, but not have commited to either route yet.

The internet connection I have at the moment is too slow to have a look at maps etc, but I'll log back on later and suggest a few times, so we can make sure the two groups do actually meet up! Initial thought is the long group meet at the club house no later than 9am, which should have us in Strachur for about lunchtime ish..

Cheers,

R

I should be able to make it out and would probably prefer to test myself with the longer run assuming the pace is not too fast (??) Was over this side of the water a couple of weeks ago and some truly stunning roads.

A note for anyone who has not been over on the ferry - it is a lot cheaper to buy tickets in the newsagents in Gourock or to buy a block of 10 singles on the ferry.

Further to Ramsay's post about us meeting up for a bit to eat at Strachur...I have compiled a possible route for the medium group using Mapmyride...see the link below:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 8772057786

(ignore the mis-spelling of Dunoon...he he).

If this is okay with all, I propose we meet at the clubhouse say 9ish and drive down to Gourock and get the ferry across to Dunoon on either the 9:30 or 10am.

I have a spare cycle rack on my car and from memory Willie has a spare 2.

It is about 25 miles from the ferry to Strachur so we could easily be up there for lunch.

Looking at the Western Ferries web-site it would be £7.20pp return with the bikes going free

What do you think?

Cheers

Grant

Hi Grant,

I have been told by fellow Wheelers you can save yourself a couple of quid if you buy a return ticket in the newsagents in Gourock, never done this myself but believe it is about £4:00.

Otherwise you can chip in and buy a book of 10 singles on board for about £21 - this is what a bunch of us did the last time across. However somebody did suggest this may depend on what side of the bed the guy checking the tickets is in (??).

anyways worth a try if it means more money for the cafe!

Finally a disclaimer - no refunds from me if the above is incorrect Oh ya dancer !

Davie

Hi Ramsay,

I forgot i had the Junior Cup Final to go to on Sunday, but would still be up for cycling from clubhouse around to Strachur and getting picked up there. Might even leave works van there on Saturday and cycle back to Greenock via Dunoon if anyone fancies that on the Saturday afternoon? Only room in van for 1 unfortunately, and i'd be stopping in Greenock. Weather looking good for weekend.

James

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have looked at the routes. The longer route is about 60miles to Strachur, so realistically 3.5-4hours. Which means I would suggest we leave the club house at about 08:30, to be in Strachur for about 12-12:30 ish. Let me know how that suits those planning to do this route.

If the other group (based on Grants post) is getting the 10am ferry, you may be at Strachur a bit before us, as it is about 20 ish miles from Dunoon the direct way. Not sure whether hingin around for us over there is better, or getting a slightly later ferry? There are of course two or three routes to Strachur from Dunoon, ranging from about 20 miles, to 25niles to 30ish miles (not sure which way you were planning Grant?)

I assume we can get a bit of lunch at the Strachur tea room and then all come back to Dunoon to the ferry. I will then be planning on cycling back to Beith from Gourock.

Grant - Elaine is on call all weekend, so can't come out to play! :-( On the bright side, though, it does mean that I can be out all weekend!!! :lol:

The proposed route was just a starter for ten.

We can always do the route in reverse and do the 30ish miles before the cafe stop.

Ramsay...will you be going the shorter route back the ferry once finished at the cafe.

Davie...thanks for the tip about the tickets.

I am certainly open to suggestions.

Cheers

Grant

• 2023 Subscriptions

Grant - Yes, I'm planning to take the shortest route from Strachur to Dunoon, or my day will end up way over 100miles! Did speak to Mary about the route options for you guys tonight, but I don't really know these road well enough, so I'll leave for you guys to sort out. I think the longer group should be in Strachur about 12-12:30 though (all going well).

James - Sounds good. Think Ian McGinty was planning to meet at the bridge at 9am.

Cheers

R

Grant, I don't want to sound like a big nesh but doing the route in reverse to Strachur I think would be too hard - for me anyway! We can, of course, sort the route out on the day.... but I think Ramsay's suggestion of starting out a bit later might be a good idea and I would suggest we either go out and back the same way (shorter route to Strachur) or see if there are any takers for the longer route on the way back, which looks more do-able in that direction.

Mary

Mary....no probs..I suppose going there and back the same route still gives us 50 miles. The only thing I was thinking was allowing us to do a wee loop...cheers

Jan..sorry for some reason I cannot open your links for mapmyride...I think you need to enter the longer link near the top of the page to allow joe blogs to look at it...cheers

Hi Jan,

I think Mary is meeting you tonight...we think it would be better to get the 10:30am ferry as we do not want to hanging around too long before the rest of the troops arrive.

Let me know what is what and I will inform Willie.

Cheers

Grant