Club Day out - Sat 22nd or Sun 23rd

Ramsay

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit dizzy after reading all the posts, but I think I get the gist of it. :grin:

Aileen and I will be at Erskine Bridge at 9am to meet up with the Thankful Resters, in whom we trust that a nice, steady not-fast pace will prevail. (Re Ramsay MacDonald, Tuesday May 18 2010, 9.02am, paragraph 3) :grin:

Dennis

• 2023 Subscriptions
A bit dizzy after reading all the posts, but I think I get the gist of it. :grin:

Aileen and I will be at Erskine Bridge at 9am to meet up with the Thankful Resters, in whom we trust that a nice, steady not-fast pace will prevail. (Re Ramsay MacDonald, Tuesday May 18 2010, 9.02am, paragraph 3) :grin:

Dennis

Ramsay MacDonald?

James Ramsay MacDonald (12 October 1866 – 9 November 1937) was a British Labour politician, who served two separate terms as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. He rose from humble origins to become the first ever British Labour Prime Minister in 1924.

Never knew he liked to hammer it in the bunch though. :smash:smash

I too will be at the bridge, avec CX bike. Very happy to bring the bunch average speed down (and average weight up!) Hello, beer !!

M

Sorry about that Ramsay, Freudian slip after getting carried away with my legislative reference! :roll:

Thanks for pointing it out, Mr Martin. You were a great Speaker, by ra way...

I've got a good memory for my age, really.

Denis Healey

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well, in general that was a great day out. One of the groups had a bit of a pile up before Strachur, but thankfully no-one was seriously injured. By the sound of it, it was just one of those things.

Anyway, there were 16 in the longer group once we all met at either the club or the Erskine Bridge. Apart from briefly dropping Ian McG coming into Arrochar (he dropped his chain and nobody noticed he was missing! :oops: Sorry Ian!), we all stuck together until the Rest. There was talk of riding up at a steady tempo in the group, but the climb was barely 100m from the side of Loch Long when a certain Mr McDonald broke clear, so not wanting to feel left out, myself and David T joined him. After that it was about 20mins of sweat, snot etc until we regrouped in the sun at the top.

The ride from the top down to Strachur was lovely. Roads were good, company was great and the sun was out!

Luckily as we got to the tea house there were several empty tables, because by the time everyone else arrived it was standing room for a bit. Good grub though.

Paul and David T left fairly sharply, as Paul had to get back, then followed by Johnny, Willie and Steven. About 20mins later myself, Bill, Ian McG, Darryl, Aileen & Dennis, Richard, David, Allan(?), Martin, Chung and I think one other (sorry for forgetting who else was there :oops: ) left for the ride to the ferry. We went the direct route over to Hunter's Quay and got the ferry (with Willie, Johnny & Steven) back to Gourock. We then all rode through Gourock before splitting into smaller groups at Greenock, where myeslf, Martin, David & Darryl headed up the Whin!!!!! :!:

We said goodbye to Martin at the Quarriers turn and then after Phil's Folly we said goodbye to Darryl, leaving myself and David to ride back to Glengarnock and then up to Beith for me.

116 miles (well, 115.88) for the day and thankfully no sign of sunburn.

Thanks to all for the great company. I hope everyone made it home without further incident.

Until the next time!! Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great call today for a club day out Ramsay. Weather could not be any better. David T and I met yet another guy from Glengarnock (is it the water?) on the ferry who joined us over Phils Pholly and back to Lochwinnoch.

cheers

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

• Life Members

That was certainly a great day out for a club run.

It has been a while since we had one like today, great route, brilliant company and smashing weather, who needs Majorca when you have days like this. :grin:

Thanks to Ramsay for coming up with the initial idea and lets have more of the same.

Cheers

Chung

Sorry to all for causing the crash, and thanks for all the help and nice helpful words. Amazing how a doctor just happened to be cycling along behind us and the man doing his garden who ran about getting clean water and wipes for us..

Ma heed and neck are a bit stiff, loads of scrapes as well, however very pleased I felt good fitness wise for the longest run I have done. I am loosing weight and getting fitter. My self confidence took a bash today, however I just need to keep going . Im into Dooleys to get my wheel trued tomorrow as its slightly buckled and my tyre is ruined, all that and I need a new helmet and gloves at least! :(:oops:8-):-?

It was totally tropical like the South of France or something!

I hope Jan and Lesley are ok?

• Members

Brilliant! No other word is adequate - the sunshine, the route, the company... Speaking of which, riding in a big bunch like that is a bit like speed-dating, I guess . You get a wee bit of chit-chat with one person and before you know it you're talking to someone else. Very agreeable. :grin: So thanks to one and all, and especially to Ramsay for his inspired brainwave. I hope we can have a go at topping that ride sometime soon.

I agree with all that's been said, and thanks to Ramsay for organising a great day out. As Chung says, it would be good if this kind of run were a regular feature.

Aileen and I thoroughly enjoyed our 105 mile tandem ride today, enhanced by the good company, the fantastic weather, beautiful scenery, but slightly marred by Martin's keen hearing when he heard the tandem (or was it my knees?) coming up behind and beat us to the top of the Rest. :lol:

We were sad to hear of the crash in the other group, and hope that Lesley and Jan recover soon.

Dennis