May 12 Tuesday 18:30 Glennifer Braes APR Training

KennyS

Circuit details :-

7 mile circuit on top of the Braes. Circuit is rolling with no major climbs , groups will be set with realistic time gaps

Start at Peesweep scout camp head west along Glenifer road toward Hall turn left onto Sergeantlaw road head back toward Paisley to turn right at first junction onto Shilford road proceed south to turn left at Fereneze road.

Proceed to turn left at first junction and head North to junction at Sergeantlaw road turn right and then left into Caplaw road head north to to left at junction onto Glenifer road to complete circuit ( 7 miles)

Looking to get at least 3 groups each night to make it worthwhile

Car parking at Robertson Car Park or possibly in the scout camp if allowed

Who's up for it?

Haud the Bus!!!!!!!! Chung taking part in a competitive "race" :shock: .

Even if my leg has recoverd in time I think I will miss out on taking part just so I can bring my camera and record this momentous event :grin: .

I knew when I took that photo of him in "full on race mode" a couple of weeks ago that he must be in seceret training ;-)

Best of luck mate Hello, beer !!

Colin

• 2023 Subscriptions

Chung,

I have stolen the link below from last years discussion on the confined APR. So thanks to Tony Carrigan... :grin:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 4810620313

It's a great circuit. Start is at the gates to the scout camp and finish (after 3 laps) is about 1/4 - 1/2 of a mile further along the road opposite the end of a side road.

Hope to see lots of people along on Tuesday.

Cheers,

Ramsay

• Life Members

Thanks Ramsay for the link.

Hi Colin, just thought it would be good training for the Radar Ride that I've entered for in July. Hope to see you on Tuesday, how's your recovery coming along anyway? Looks really painful.......more importantly, how's your TIME?

Regards

Chung

I'll be there on Tuesday. Weather forecast looks really good so it should be great.

Couple of points for anyone who is new to the circuit:

1. Care is needed on the sharp lh turn at the the bottom of the long descent down Fereneze Rd (point #4 on the map). Last summer there was quite a lot of gravel on this corner, including a wee patch right in the middle which was difficult to avoid unless you took a very tight line thru the corner.

2. The road surface is very ropey for about 100 yards just after you turn left into Sergeant Law Rd (point 2 on the map). The best line is right down the middle. Make sure your tyres are nice and hard to avoid pinch flats.

• Members

Planning on riding with a beginners group at front of race , to do a bit of coaching re wheeling about / working as a group. Plan would be to keep together first lap therefore looking to have a big gap on 2nd group.

With this in mind can we see people opting into groups

ie

1st group

2nd group Mike Ferguson , Tony C , Kenny C , Greg B , Ian Cowden

3rd group Darryl , Ramsay , James , Paul

please feel free to fill in gaps with your names , which will be scrutinised by our handicapper

ps following tonights results anyone called Mullhooligan willl be in scratch group and will not see the front till last 50 m :lol::lol:

• Members

Probably not going to manage this week after all .

Would like to flag up an alternative circuit for discussion. It is one used in past for open RR /APR .

Slighty further out but road condition is better , its flatter and has good finiish area and carparking .

Start at finish of Pauls Barrmill RR ( opposite old social club at RNAD - now flattened but has car park) head towards Beith turning left and then left onto bypass , thru roundabout and toward Dalry. Turn left at Highfield ( national cycle track route) then left and left again onto RNAD circuit to retrace to start. Approx 7.5m circuit . No climbs to speak off one bit of bad surface which is only 50m long.

Comments please , maybe give it a try next week to compare it with Braes circuit?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Kenny,

Alternative route sounds great beacaue it is close to home. My only concern would be the riding/racing/training on the A737, especially the turn from the Barmill road to the A737, which is very busy and is actually a STOP (due to the number of crashes there), not a Give Way.

Is there any reason we couldn't use Paul's Barmill circuit? The surface is not too bad and there are only a couple of "undulations". I think it is a 9 mile circuit, so either 2, 2.5 or 3 laps.

Forecast is great for tomorrow night, so really looking forward to it.

Cheers

Ramsay

• Members

Ramsay

I have done a few recons at the junction and whilst its busy at peak times it seems to quieten down after 6:30. Plus I dont envisage huge groups and if we have large group commomsense and the fact its a long way from the finish line should ensure a safe passage. The junction coming back out to Peesweep is more dangerous in my opinion. The small undulations on Pauls course are only small if a good climber . The other course would allow lesser climbers a chance to hang on to more experienced riders and not be shelled out first time up climb. The more time riders can get in a group far outweighs long solo rides chasing a lost cause.

Comments from anyone else ? I know quite a few riders know these roads well.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Darryl,

Calendar says it is 6:30, in which case there is no way I'll be able to make it from work in time. Last year it was 7:00, which would certainly suit me better.

Anyone object to 7:00? (It's now light until past 9:00.)

Ramsay

Tomorrow night we're at Peesweep as originally planned. Kenny is suggesting we change the venue for NEXT week (Thu May 21st) not this week. We can talk about that tomorrow night.

Must admit I hadn't noticed the time in the calendar was 1830 - it is a bit early for the time of year. Maybe we could say 1845 for a 1900 start? Ramsay you'll be in the last group off anyway so that gives you a bit of extra time :grin: