Rothesay Weekend

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Always a fun weekend of racing on Rothesay. Wheelers well represented in every event from the hill climb, cx, 2up TT, individual TT and the 2 road races.

APR was run under TLI age category rules this year with 1.5 minutes between groups.  Robbie, Marc and myself in the 4th group. Most of the group were willing to work however there were a couple who were strong riders but who seemingly didnt know how to ride through and off so it meant things werent smooth and we had to work harder than should have been the case. Scratch caught us after 12 miles then jumped on that, pace picked up but it was now much more organised so really started to motor along  we caught the 3rd group of youth/juniors just before the turn just as they had caught the 2nd group. Then it was the chase of the first group. Gap was 2.5 minutes by then so the first group had extended their lead on the 2nd group. Was starting to get more difficult and some attacks were happening. However nothing came from any of them. We caught the first group just before the final climb, things started to split here and was hanging on by a thread by the top with the front group of about 14 riders (Paul, Marc and Ian all in it). It mostly all came back together on the descent and the flat when things eased a bit with everyone starting to think of the finish and jockying for position.  Jim was going to lead out Lynsey for the finish so thought it fair Jess had that option too which worked pretty well with her winning the womens race (and 9th overall). I was 10th, Paul 11th (and winning his category) and Marc 12th so good spread of Wheelers towards the top. Ian was pretty close behind too and 2nd in his category and Alan towards the top 20 too i think. Robbie unfortunate to puncture.

The groups and time gaps were spot on this year. Ideally you want the groups to come together before the final climb and thats what happened.

Special mention to Gerrard winning the novice race and also his category in the TT. Also to Marc and Ian going for the yellow jersey, no idea how the standings for that finished but Marc must have been pretty high up by the end...just unfortunate to share the same age category as Martin Lonie and Chris Smart!

Next year i think it would be a good event as a club to target to try and win the overall prize. We wouldnt have been that far off this year as Fullarton won it and i dont think any of them finished in the top 12 of the road race.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great report Ian and thanks for not mentioning the fact that I was well and truly pumped out the back when the scratch group caught us! Spent the next hour hoping for a puncture and thankfully my wish was answered.

Nice wee lift home in the broom wagon eating choccy biscuits.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Gerard a star today :)

Good report Jan. Yes I would be up for targeting next year as a club. Our DS would be demanding more considering we got 10,11,12 in APR !

Of course that could be in our interests if riding for the overall club competition.

Bring on the winter worlds ( after our last blast at Strathaven )

Ohyadancer!