Club track session - February 26th 5-7pm (sign up thread)

thejanullrichdietplan

• 2023 Subscriptions

This is it so far, filled in the blanks best i can.   Ian is a maybe and a couple of others expressed an interest too, so going to say we have 19 riders which works out at £14 a head for the track time (although we still need another rider)

If you need a hire bike then an additional £11.40 so the total is £25.40. If you need shoes on top of this then another £4.90 and a total of £30.30

post-3959-0-08923700-1485719312_thumb.jpg

It is a wee bit unbalanced in terms of numbers between the two groups so not ideal.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I know the price is quite steep if a bike and shoes are needed - as a money saving tip you could potentially team up with someone in the other group and in effect share a bike. It would mean losing a bit of track time (time to change the saddle height etc) and you'd need to team up with someone roughly the same size for it to work. I'm not officially recommending, nor organising match ups, just suggesting something you could sort out yourselves if you want to save a bit of money.

I've not paid the bike and shoe hire costs yet so you've got about a week to arrange something.

• 2023 Subscriptions

This is it so far, filled in the blanks best i can.   Ian is a maybe and a couple of others expressed an interest too, so going to say we have 19 riders which works out at £14 a head for the track time (although we still need another rider)

If you need a hire bike then an additional £11.40 so the total is £25.40. If you need shoes on top of this then another £4.90 and a total of £30.30

attachicon.giftrackdaysignup.JPG

It is a wee bit unbalanced in terms of numbers between the two groups so not ideal.

Hooray, first spreadsheet of the year !!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sorry for the ovesight Boyd, will add you to the updated list.

With accreditation they introduced a 6 month cut off a while back - if a rider hasn't been to a drop in for 6 months then they were meant to do level 4 again as a refresher. However in practice the computer booking system didnt record when a rider was last on the track so it's a rule that wasn't being enforced. Dont know what the current set up is, they updated the website a few months ago so maybe it is different now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

I pm'd details yesterday, although ive just noticed my mailbox is full so the message might not have got around to everyone.

Anyway here is the message

-----------------

Some details for Sunday,  you will already know most or all of this but i'm just copy and pasting the same message to everyone to save time :)

Directions:

The velodrome is at the Emirates Arena. The quickest way to get their from Renfrewshire is head along the M8 then before you get to the Kingston Bridge take the fork to head along the M74 follow that until exit 1A and leave there. Take a left off the exit ramp, then a right straight after this and head towards Shawfield dog racing stadium, follow the road as it sweeps round to the left goes past Richmond park. After 'Clyde Gateway' police station the road sweeps to the right just follow than and you'll see the emirates arena (its right next to celtic park). Alternatively just stick on your sat nav to 1000 London Road, Glasgow, G40 3HG.

There is plenty of parking. After you park head to the main entrance - there is a front desk, go up to them and say you are there for the Johnstone Wheelers club track session and they will let you through the barrier. Go through the barrier and take a left and go past lockers / vending machines and then down the stairs to the velodrome. Once down the stairs and through the door you walk under the track and that is where the hire station is. Most of the hire bikes will be waiting for you here however there might be a few that are in use if their is club on before us so you may need to wait until they finish before you can get them. There are changing rooms if you need them, although i wouldnt leave anything in these - either get a locker (50p which is returnable) or just leave your bag in the track centre - most people do this. There are plenty of seats here to leave your stuff.

Our track time is 5pm - 7pm however aim to get there between 4.30pm to 4.45pm so you have time to get ready, sort the saddle height and so on.

What to bring:

A helmet is required. Clothing is up to you but basically summer cycling kit. In addition to this a lot of track riders will wear a lightweight baselayer (either vest, short sleeve or long sleeve) under their jerseys / skinsuits and also gloves (mitts or summer weight full gloves) which i think is sensible although it is not essential. Glasgow Life actually recommends to wear long sleeves but i'll leave that up to you - if your only long sleeve cycling top is a winter one then you'll be roasting. Sunglasses might be useful as they help prevent eyes watering. If eyes watering isn't problem for you riding outside then you probably wont need them inside either. Bring some water to have a drink when you are track centre. There is a fountain where you can refill this plus vending machines if you want something different. Unfortunately the cafe closes at 4pm on a sunday. If you have rollers then it would be a good idea to bring them along and it will mean you can spin your legs while off the track but they are not essential and you can always have a shot of someone elses. Also remember to bring your shoes and/or bike too if you are not needing to hire them.

Some do's and don't:

Remember to keep pedalling! If this is your first time using a fixed gear bike then it might feel a little strange at first - your legs get pushed through the pedal stroke as you go forward (similar to how some spin bikes feel). It's not more difficult than riding a bike with a freewheel it's just different so important to remember not to try and freewheel until you get used to it.

Also don't go too slow around the banking. Above about 13mph (15mph is better though) and you will be fine, below this and your tyres are at risk of slipping. If you are feeling tired and need a break then it is better to come down and ride around the apron for a breather or come off and get a drink. It is natural to be nervous riding on the banking for the first time but when you feel nervous remember to keep pedalling and dont back off too much.

Keep a straight line when riding, if you are going to move up or down the track check over your shoulder before doing so. Be predictable, don't swerve erratically in front of other riders, try and not overlap wheels and so on. Basically you all know how to ride in a group on the road so none of this should be a problem.

See you on Sunday!