Don Smith Memorial Ride 2015

KennyS

The 2015 Don Smith Memorial Ride, organised by Johnstone Wheelers Cycling Club, will take place on Sunday 8th March based at Lochbarr Services, Lochwinnoch

There will be three Rides as per previous years

Long Route 108km Setting off at 09:30am
Medium Route 72km Setting off at 10:00am
Short Route 42km Setting off at 10:30am

All proceeds from the Ride are split evenly between the Braveheart Cycling Fund and the Accord Hospice in Paisley

Further details and online entry via the British Cycling website

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/126128/Don-Smith-Memorial-Ride-2015#

Entries also taken on the day

• 2 weeks later...

I'd heard about the turbo warm up. Especially for those residing nearby...

I'll take the cycle there as my warm up.

As for bling, I could fit my daughter's handlebar tassels to my bike and maybe another lollipop stick onto my spokes. Hopefully that should suffice. ;-)

Should also add, I've signed up online.

It's time for my annual plea so I've pretty much copy pasted last year's :-)

Thanks for the early entries to all those who've already done so.

I'm looking for assistance on Sunday morning.

Although a number of riders pre-enter, everyone has to sign on so I'm looking for 2-3 volunteers to assist with this from 8-30 onwards

Also, there are no plans for rider support on the day but if anyone is planning on being around with their car and could maybe be on standby it would be appreciated

Finally, I need to have a final check of each of the three routes on Saturday afternoon evening or Sunday morning to ensure the risk assessments are up to date. If anyone could assist with this I would be eternally grateful as I need to get a couple of riders to Lochwinnoch for 8:30

Kenny

• 2023 Subscriptions

Not done the Don Smith before. Pace of 20mph on the 70 mile route sounds v fast! is there a fair mix of speeds that would allow me to settle into a bunch or is it every man/woman for themselves?

• Life Members

Hi Renny,

Usually the Long route will have more than a few groups, setting off in waves of say 10-12 riders every 3-5 minutes.

So, if you can start off with the first/early group but want to drop down for what ever reason, then you can wait & join others up-coming bunches/groups to ride with.

Usually, I'm one of the last to finish anyway, so you won't be riding alone for long. ;-)

Might be a good idea to know where you're going though, but don't worry it's a fairly straight forward route.

Hop that helps.

See you on Sunday!

Cheers

Chung