Renfrew Winter Bunch

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Off the page bogs bunch today. Hit west ferry with 45 riders and it was through and off at summer pace. Slowed a bit through Greenock etc then pretty full on round the cloch and up the Inverkip drag. Unfortunately a crash under the railway bridge with most of bunch continuing to Largs after a few minutes and a small group including me and Colin riding in after checking out Alex was ok.

Charlie and Andy rolled into Largs after Chas puncturing at Langbank as the madness started. A gritty 2 up to Largs by all accounts.

Usual habble up the Barrhead road with pace quite high up the Kilwinning drag.

Chapeau Colin making it to the end in a bunch of about 12 remaining gubbed riders.

The cunning plan was compromised with Alex crash, Alan illness and Iain I think succumbing to the pace on the Kilwinning drag. Can't say for sure as I was unable to look back after about the first km of the westferry!

Salvaged 3rd for the team but felt guilty as I had not contributed fully to habble.

Youse may have noted a bit of aggro in the bunch today, pretty normal when you ride the first 30 miles at about 23mph. Don't be put off.

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well that was fun. I think!

Huge bunch (probably the biggest this winter) and a fast pace from the start, unfortunately had a mudguard malfunction in Gourock so tough chase to Largs manage to arrive before everyone leaves again then its through and off to Ardrossan, mudguard starting to rub again by this stage. Up the Kilwinning drag was starting to struggle a bit anyway and the mudguard was doing my head in so attempt to fix it while riding and end up causing it to jam. Oh well, i'd probably have been pumped off the back anyway, at least i wasnt on my own for the long road home. Paul, Colin and Charlie were still looking strong at this point im not sure if there were any other wheelers left, maybe a couple.

Anyway to sum up definitely would not recommend the topeak defender iglow guard. It works fine on a smooth road but not up to Scottish roads - straight back to the shop with it later today.

Sorry to hear about the crash Alex, hope you are ok!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done all! Gritty 2-up indeed and 10th place on Strava segment between greenock and inverkip gives a measure of work ethic. I was busted though by largs. I'm still shaking off lurgy but chapeau to Chas for a monumental effort getting around after that. Alex hope you're okay. Sounded nasty to say the least.

I have to say even leaving renfrew there was a smell of blood in the air. The couriers were all looking kitted up and determined. I think there was a plan to mash it up.

Heading out tomorrow for easier miles but no reliability for me.

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

One of the couriers (not sure his name) mentioned to me that he had read about our intended plans for the finish :D

Maybe an idea for later on in the season (when the racing starts) to have the road race viewable by members only?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Annoying day. Punctured just before langbank 0. Andy had also stopped with mechanical. Ruthless bunch did not wait so after repair Andy & I did 2 up to Largs. Caught up with bunch at Largs pit stop. Thereafter sat in bunch but died at top of Kilwinning drag. Think we had gone too deep in 2 up to catch up. Pity as I felt good today. Bringing my boxing gloves next week.

Well done Colin who was looking strong on Kilwinning drag and well done Paul for saving club honour

Pleased to finish at Barrhead today and chapeau to Paul on 3rd. Was a bit hairy towards the thirty and when I came off a wheel to attempt the lead out it was met with some dogs abuse which to be honest was a bit ridiculous as I was well aware of what was going on around me at all tunes and didn't think it was unsafe. Hope you're ok Alex

Great run to Wemyss Bay. The pace was full on from Langbank with still a few JWCC in the front of the bunch before I bit tarmac. A few KOMs taken by the Bunch today too. I know I had one from Gourock to Wemyss Bay, but then I uploaded first after a short cut home so sure to be even faster times posted.

Silly crash. Thrown off line under bridge at Wemyss bay and had to cut it tighter than I would have liked (at 36.5mph). Fair bit of skin lost, but nothing broken and so pleased I didn't take anyone else down, though it must have been close. Nice run with Couttie to Largs and then with Billy and Couttie up the Haylie Brae and Dipple from Kilbirnie to Lochwinnoch.

Gutted missed the rest of the run. It looked like it was going to be murder polis today!

New glasses were Top notch and survived the fall! :-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

One of the couriers (not sure his name) mentioned to me that he had read about our intended plans for the finish :D

Maybe an idea for later on in the season (when the racing starts) to have the road race viewable by members only?

I wondered the same thing. Members only thread for race season I think

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ohyadancer!

At the pumped up speed of the bunch yesterday I was joking that the Barrhead road would be a wind down instead of a habble.

However, it wasn't. The sprint though was a bit of a fly and die affair with lots of shredded legs.

It's all good. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger ( or closer to insanity )

#uonlyliveonce

:)