Vets national

P McDonald

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Weather not nearly as bad as expected but the wind was a challenge especially in the crosswind sections which were just plain horrible. Race average of 24.7mph tells its own story, whilst I was never actually full eyeballs out it was consistently fast. There were a lot of small breaks but none got more than 30s. I found myself in a break of 5 but it was the wrong time before a crosswind section when I knew everyone would speed up and was worried we would get passed and drop straight oot the back. We were duly pegged back after a few miles. Of the 80 riders in the champs race, 52 listed as finishing, I ended up 23rd in the front bunch. Uphill sprints are just not my thing but hey ho its the same for everyone.

Chapeau to Charlie and Andy in the support race, especially Andy who got a top 10, should be well pleased with that Andy.

This was useful training for Arran :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good race today in suitably named Auld Yins. Great race with a tad sedentary pace of 23.5mph for the 60 miles. Lessons learned for me from previous races. Sat at between 2nd and 5th for most of race. Covering any breaks. Only error was to chase down breakaway in last 2miles. Very chuffed with best ever finish of 10th. Three more BC races this year to get my 12 for cat 3

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thought the auld yins would be a good race to resurrect my racing ambitions. Unfortunately still off the pace and ended up in time trial format with 3 others. Having pulled them round on the second lap the girl had the cheek to pass me on the uphill sprint. Fortunately we finished before the vets race and it was nice to witness a very good finish by Paul who was in the mix right to end. As for Gumley he clearly did a Froome and ignored my orders to help the aged. He was also in the mix which one day I hope to experience and before u start Billy Mac no plans yet for audax