squeaky carbon frame

Mark O

Was out this morning for an easy 10 to loosen up the legs from yesterday. Used my winter bike which hasn't been ridden in a few weeks. I'm getting an almost continuous squeaking coming from around the cranks/bottom bracket area. Its not a knocking sound which might suggest the bb itself, more a stressed plastic sound. Have checked area visually and no signs of damage, hairlines etc. Anyone got any thoughts. Is it a question of taking cranks off and bb out re-lubbing everything and crossing my fingers it'll go away. Would appreciate any sensible and constructive comments.

Cheers

M

Guest EPCC

Don't buy ribble frames simple

Other than that spray some silicon spray round the outside of the cups and where your cranks are that usually stops the noise

Mark,

Dissembling and packing out with the correct lube and then ensuring everything is properly tight would not go amiss.

If it's campag check the outboard cups are tight but beware using the tool as it is the worst tool / component interface in the history of mankind.

Hope you get it solved.

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

I had a mysterious creaking on my old bike last year, after various investigations it turned out to be the seat post moving within the seat tube. A little grease on the seat tube stooped the noise.

It's easy to assume it's a serious problem, but sometimes it's something simple and easy to fix.

Davie, compag!? really?? come on, even MacB has seen the light.

Have gone with MacB's simple solution of some silicon spray as an inital course of action. I shall allow this to soak in overnight and test in the morning. His simples! solution has been disregarded as I can afford to buy a very very very expensive frame (hope Mrs MacB is reading).

Graham, have had a shoogle about on the saddle and have put pressure on the bars to try and generate some movement but these components appear okay and quite secure. Greg - you have scaremongered!!!!!

Thanks for the input guys. Will post outcome of silicon spray test.

M

Guest james mck

put grease on the BB cups where they contact the crankshaft..if you use look carbon pedals they can crack and let water in to the shaft

(if that it what has went wrong one of your pedals would be stiff) and squeak

Guest George

This may be a bit left field:

I had a creaking noise for weeks. Had the bike stripped down & the BB replaced.

Turns out it was my shoes.