THE DRUMLANRIG TEARFUND CHALLENGE - Saturday 3rd May 2014

Guest EPCC

Sort of good day

Nice cold start big bunch 15 miles was chating to Al coming over a bridge the my back wheel just went and I came down

Would have been ok if Andy and Colin didn't look to land on me no real damage apart from front and rear wheel buckles

Stayed until the last we climb home then gave up the ghost knackerd with the wheels rubing on my brakes decided better not to go out in the afternoon so came home with Charlie and got to see the saints win

Could have been worse crashed my Ridley it could have been the dogma or my new bike

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good day out although wrong choice of kit for me today as i felt the cold a bit much.

Apologies for not waiting at the top of Mennock Pass was freezing so just pushed on. Some last stretch into the wind! Was on Colins wheel for a bit of that then my legs just went, struggled for 5 minutes until a gel started to work and i got a second wind, was knackered by the finish.

Hope your leg and elbow are alright Billy. Was it a Gore top you had on ? Might be worthwhile emailing these guys http://www.tgstore.eu/fabric-repair-c-597.html seem to offer repairs for £10 (or free for existing customers)

• Life Members

Yet another cracking day on the saddle with the Mighty Joansins!

Early start for everyone having to drive down to the start. Chilly morning it was indeed, we rode the first 63 miles loop as a group of 12, we were almost the back marker interms of the start groups. However we made good progress and had it not been a few punctures & Billy very profession slide on some gravel on the road (which took down poor Colin & Andrew, luckily I was a bit far back and manage to avoid landing on Billy), we would have been moving up the road pretty swiftly. As it was, we still manage to pass a number of riders who started way before us.

A well supplied & served lunch stop meant we were all eager to start the afternoon loop. Luckily the slight tail wind up Wanlockhead climb help to ease the suffering just a bit. But the exposed flat section next to the motorway with the strong headwind was a nightmare especially for me, thankfully the guys let me sat in the back and the gel saw me through this tough bit. A quick (not for me) descend back the the castle was spoiled by the fact I was totally gubbed with just a mile to go. I was pedalling squares and the good folks of the Blue & Yellow waited patiently for me to cross the finish line in a bunch ........... thanks, very much appreciated!

I could hardly un-clip myself, but the sight of all those rolls & cakes spurred me on to walk the few meters so I can grab as much as I can, where upon I just stuffed me face :-) brilliant!

P.S Today Colin asked me a question that no one have ever ask me before while out on a bike - "do you carry a cassette lock ring tool?" :-)

Maybe I should from now on, but do I carry a Shimano or Campag? Billy, what do you think?

Cheers

Chung

Good day despite the mechanicals ( my own included) the rattle kicked in again just as I crested the summit at mennock pass and I decided it was better to press on than to force everyone to listen to the coffee grinder noise for the rest of the way

Thanks for the assistance Chung think team sky are looking for a mechanic. Hope you're wheel is ok for Paul's Arran challenge next week billy come to think of it hope my legs are ok too !

What a great ride!. Felt comfortable all the way round and stayed with the bunch.

Legs not even tired or stiff this evening!

Glad we kept the bunch together.

Al Y, Alan F and I proved that the old jerseys are faster downhill than the new ones! Clocked 44.7 mph on the run down to Elvanfoot.

Morning average 18.1 mph.Overall 17.0 mph - a fine run!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thoroughly enjoyable day, failed miserably to get the summer bike fit for purpose, so forced to ride the Ribble, mudguards'n'all, wasn't the best, but didn't really suffer until the freezing headwind on the last 15 miles... great to complete the whole route pretty much as one bunch, and the usual excellent grub at the end was a treat, as was the Burger king at the first Service station on the way home, as is the Rioja i'm drinking at the moment..

All in all we had a 3 man crash, 4 punctures and a loose cassette, so pretty eventful day, but no real damage done, except Billy will be back at Thompsons on Monday to spend some more cash on a new set of wheels, just as well he's minted :-)

Great day yesterday at Drumlanrig. The organisers Rolf & Dave and all their helpers are really appreciative of the Wheelers support over the years.

Their Fort William Lochaber 100 event is just as good as Drumlanrig with a fantastic route and even more home baking to wade through. Plenty of B&Bs, caravan parks & camping for the Friday night to bring a social element to the trip!

Saturday 6 September 2014

http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk/Lochaber100

Well that was another very enjoyable day out on the bike (well the morning anyway). Felt quite strong and think i put in a bit much effort in the morning as I was thinking of throwing in the towel and not going back out for the afternoon. I had registered for the full route so wouldn't have sat well with me to chuck it so went back out.

Really enjoyed the afternoon (even the Mennock pass) until the slog next to the motorway, the headwind just about killed my legs.

After all that made it to the finish with 103 miles on the Garmin so happy with that. Quick drive up the road and then out to a 40th. Managed to stay awake and found another type of Peroni that's 6.6% (not just my legs that are sore today).

Glad everyone seemed to enjoy it and thanks for all the words of encouragement each time you all passed (it does seem to help on those hills)

Jody

Good day out as usual. A crash, a few punctures and a novel mechanical ( Colin making an early bid for retention of his award from last year ) meant it was not the day for riding a time. Shame to see a few retirals after the first loop but all for good reasons ( apart from Billy going to watch St Mirren ).

We'll be getting a bad name for ourselves as we largely kept the bunch together and it was great to be riding out the wind for the majority of the day. The headwind finally appeared after the turn at the M74 but a good , disciplined effort got us on the descent where the beet root juice came into it's own.

Any interest in Lochaber ?