9th JUNE Sunday Club Run - Dunoon

chung

• Life Members

Hi All,

I spoke with Billy & a few others on Sunday regarding this Sunday's run, and looking at the long range forecast for Sunday it looks like being a good one again (fingers crossed). Some folks suggest a run over the water to Dunoon, how can any one resist that eh?

I know quite a few folks are doing the Saturday Ayrshire Hills, so Sunday's attendance may be a bit low but it's too good an opportunity to turn down given the projected good weather!

So, I'm thinking of 2 options to do this, both involve cafe stop in Struchar:

Option 1

Clubroom - Bishopton - Greenock - Gourock (Ferry) - Dunoon - Loch Tarsan - Tighnabruaich - Struchar (Cafe) - Back to Dunoon - Ferry - Gourock - Home.

Option 2

Clubroom - Bridge - Dumbarton - Helensborough - Rhu - Garelochhead - Arrochar - Rest & be Thankful (climb) - Struchar (cafe) - Dunoon - Ferry - Gourock - Home

Both options will be over a 100 miles and a slightly earlier start is advisable. I personally favour the 2nd option as its less time on ferry & more time riding. But the first one gives some the option to drive to & start at Gourock, so maybe we should go with that.

Understandably this will be an all day event, so 8.30am start from the clubroom which will give us plenty of time to catch the 10.30am ferry if option 1 is preferred!

Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier!

Can I ask folks to post their intention ONLY if they're coming & state which option they prefer. Please DON'T post if you're not coming as this'll make things confusing & clog-up the post.

Seeing how there will be a decision to be made upon what option is preferred, we can make a final call a few days before the run so everyone knows the score!

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Chung

Chung - I was about to post Dunoon run but you just beat me to it.

Option 1 for me.

I think you mean 10:00 ferry if starting from the club at 08:30.

I will go straight up the back road from Lochwinnoch.

I can meet you at Kilmalcolm - either the Pullman if going up the track or the cross if going up the main road. Time?

I hope I've got my good bike back on the road by then!

I'd prefer option 2. No need to go chasing ferries first thing and as Chung says more riding time. Also haven't done the Rest this year. Might give us the opportunity to tilt our lids to Jim's memory, it being his favourite run. Will go with majority as always.

M

• Life Members

Hi Ross,

I cannot be exact and it also depends on which route we do in the end, either way you'll be looking at around 5pm when back to Johnstone I think! I hope that helps!

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Got a family birthday dooda thingy on Saturday, so really depends on how late it goes on, but at the moment i'm planning on joining up, I'm leaning towards Option 2 purely because of the Rest, although nicer climbs in Option 1, count me as Option 2 :)

Ian

can anyone help lookin for a jwcc top, posted on genral 0 replys,im willing to pay in.( GOLD) as i have ordered kit but wont get it for wee while,i knw this is the cr section! want to do races anybody help me out, cmon al chuck in a caramac to sod it push the boat out top would b size L :-) j

• 2024 Subscriptions

can anyone help lookin for a jwcc top, posted on genral 0 replys,im willing to pay in.( GOLD) as i have ordered kit but wont get it for wee while,i knw this is the cr section! want to do races anybody help me out, cmon al chuck in a caramac to sod it push the boat out top would b size L :-) j

Sorry Lance, all my tops are small Ohyadancer!

Chung put up the original post so that is the route we do.

As I still will be on the winter bike I don't fancy the steep climb after Loch Tarsan so I am happy to do option 2.

I have never done the R&BT.

Are we doing Hell's Glen ?

• Life Members

Alright chaps, sorry for the delay!

I skived off work & was out today on a run with Bill T over the "Top of the World", too good a weather to waste sitting in an office! ;-)

Anyway, since Option 2 seems to be the preferred choice, we'll go with that then if that's ok with everyone (sorry Alan F.).

Sorry Big Al, we can definetly do your alternative suggestion on another day, how's that?

So, 8.30am clubroom depart for those starting from Johnstone. I'll be more than likely to pick you guys up at end of Georgetown Road (Inchinnon end) if I'm not at the clubroom.

Al, I take it you'll meet us at the bridge - North side around 9.10am? Before you start, yes we'll make sure we wait for you this time of course!

Now that route is establish, and weather to be still good on Sunday, then let's be having you! Don't be shy now.

Looking forward to seeing all you guys who can make it out on Sunday!

Cheers

Chung

Main bunch Rest and be Thankful, Strachur, Dunoon ride. Truly epic. Tight bunch of 8, a very reasonable pace, warm sunshine, couple of climbs, and the new girl at the Strachur cafe showing off her wares.

Liquid refreshment/recovery chilling in the fridge, smell of gammon steaks on the BBQ and for me 123 miles on the clock.

Brill day in good company. Cheers guys. Hope everyone made it home safe.

M

Great run with great company today. The café stop was immense Chapeau to Hugh for a great show of strength on the climbs. Highlight for me was the dash round from Ardentinny to Kilmun - stunning views and fast pace. Felt I could have kept riding all day = a relief to get over the lurgy of last week. Hope you're not too ill now Chungster and made it home ok after the dodgy soup. Well done to Mr C for the additional bit of climbing to get back to Lochwinnoch. :icon_yes