Pothole Watch

james-maclaren

Hi,

I have started this topic "Pothole Watch" on the Bunch Forum because if the AA can use members to report poor road conditions and potholes, then so can the Johnstone Wheelers. It should give a warning to other cyclists following this topic, of a poor stretch of road. I will forward all reports to the council in an effort to get road faults repaired as soon as possible. In addition, once it is reported, the council have a duty to make the road safe and if they fail to do that in quick time then they are liable for vehicle, including bike, breakages and personal injury. You can also leave your report at my Facebook page

www.facebook.com/councillormaclaren

Please leave as much detail as possible so that the defect can be found and repaired. For any photos, please send to my email address:

[email protected]

Thanks,

James MacLaren

• 2023 Subscriptions

James,

Not trying to be funny, but I drive the Lochwinnoch to Kilmacolm road everyday and there must now be a big "wheel eater" pothole every quarter of a mile on both sides of road.

Not particularly useful, but not sure how to highlight individual holes.

Cheers,

R

I'm sure the council love me since I came across the website "fill that hole". Takes 2 mins to complete and usually filled in a few days time.

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

Hi Jannza,

Yes that also works well, but if you left a note here as well, it might prove as a useful warning to others.

Thanks,

James

James,

Not trying to be funny, but I drive the Lochwinnoch to Kilmacolm road everyday and there must now be a big "wheel eater" pothole every quarter of a mile on both sides of road.

Cheers,

R

Hi Ramsay,

I will ask the council to look at this road. If you can be a little more specific that would be helpful. For instance, are they in Renfrewshire or Inverclyde? Near which farm or turn off, which side of the road?

Thanks,

James

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi,

I have started this topic "Pothole Watch" on the Bunch Forum because if the AA can use members to report poor road conditions and potholes, then so can the Johnstone Wheelers. It should give a warning to other cyclists following this topic, of a poor stretch of road. I will forward all reports to the council in an effort to get road faults repaired as soon as possible. In addition, once it is reported, the council have a duty to make the road safe and if they fail to do that in quick time then they are liable for vehicle, including bike, breakages and personal injury. You can also leave your report at my Facebook page

www.facebook.com/councillormaclaren

Please leave as much detail as possible so that the defect can be found and repaired. For any photos, please send to my email address:

[email protected]

Thanks,

James MacLaren

Good idea James

• 2023 Subscriptions

james,

how long do they have to make good a repair?

I would add the roundabout at the new school at Port glasgow, there is not a pot hole but two drains with slats running in the direction of the road, dangerous. The second one is also not placed at the edge of the road but on the cycling line almost a metre in from the edge. Bonkers

duncan

+1 for fill that hole

• 1 month later...

James,

Cheers,

R

Hi Ramsay, I see why you could not be specific about a pothole(s). I have requested the road be re-surfaced (in Renfrewshire) and will contact my Inverclyde contact to do the same.

Regards,

James

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Ramsay, I see why you could not be specific about a pothole(s). I have requested the road be re-surfaced (in Renfrewshire) and will contact my Inverclyde contact to do the same.

Regards,

James

James,

Thank you, very much appreciated. I did mean to try and get some locations of specific holes, but got caught up with a lot of things at the end of Nov and beginning of Dec, then Christmas etc...

Anyway, some of the very worste were actually patched up in early Dec, but there are still some shocking areas (both Renfrewshire and Inverclyde). Looking forward to stretches of new surface.

Cheers,

R

P.S. - As a civil engineer, I can advise that patching and resurfacing would last far longer if time was taken to sort the road foundation and the road drainage in the problem areas. I realise that this is far more costly and time consuming for each repair, but may save money in the long term, especially with claims for tyres, suspension etc on the rise (my colleague just claimed against Inverclyde a few weeks ago for a monster pothole ripping the sidewall out of a brand new winter tyre!).

P.S. - As a civil engineer, I can advise that patching and resurfacing would last far longer if time was taken to sort the road foundation and the road drainage in the problem areas. I realise that this is far more costly and time consuming for each repair, but may save money in the long term, especially with claims for tyres, suspension etc on the rise (my colleague just claimed against Inverclyde a few weeks ago for a monster pothole ripping the sidewall out of a brand new winter tyre!).

Hi Ramsay,

I am sure you are right about this. I suspect their reason for not doing so is they would cover far less ground, but in the long run.....

James

james,

how long do they have to make good a repair?

duncan

+1 for fill that hole

Hi Duncan,

Sorry about the time taken to reply. Here is the offical reply:

"I can confirm there is no set time scale when the Council has to respond to a request for a repair, but where a repair is agreed, the Council has a range of agreed target completion times ranging from 2 hours to 5 working days to complete repairs. The time taken to effect a repair does not directly affect the response a claimant would receive, unless the time taken to undertake the repair causes an issue. What happened just before the incident will really determine the outcome of a claim. By way of an example, if the Council knew about or should have known about a safety defect, which we were responsible and failed to respond within a reasonable time , then liability to compensate a third party for the reinstatement of damaged property or injury will have to be admitted and the appropriate reinstatement sum paid to the claimant."

I hope that is helpful.

Regards,

James

• Committee

Hi James, good work.

Thread hijack folks. On the Kilmacolm-BoW road there is a hand-basin sized whopper about 100 yds after Knapps Loch on the nearside (it is in Inverclyde I know).

On my drive to work this morning there were two guys in the following layby changing wheels after hitting it in the dark.

It would destroy a bike.

Going to put it in fillthathole now but I hope the council guys will fix it overnight.

Suggest you drive at 15-20mph past Knapps until it is filled. I will.

Alan

Hi James, good work.

Thread hijack folks. On the Kilmacolm-BoW road there is a hand-basin sized whopper about 100 yds after Knapps Loch on the nearside (it is in Inverclyde I know).

On my drive to work this morning there were two guys in the following layby changing wheels after hitting it in the dark.

It would destroy a bike.

Going to put it in fillthathole now but I hope the council guys will fix it overnight.

Suggest you drive at 15-20mph past Knapps until it is filled. I will.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Now filled I think. Thanks.

Regards

James

• 2 weeks later...

Regards,

James

Hi Ramsay,

Councillor David Wilson (Inverclyde) confirms that resurfacing will take place on the Lochwinnoch Rd within Inverclyde.

Regards,

James

• 2 weeks later...

The winter weather is certainly causing havoc with the roads a the moment. Cycle track seems to be alright but the roads arn't good. I myself lost a wheel trim (this is a car thing) due to a large pot hole, but I know a number of you have fared much worse. If you are unlucky and feel that you want to claim Renfrewshire Council then you should know that, all claims for compensation are independently assessed by claim handlers appointed by the Council's liability insurers, Gallagher Bassett, and they will consider the circumstances of each case to determine whether a claim is paid. As part of this process they will look at the dimensions of the defect, service records on inspection frequency, when the road was last inspected, whether any defects were noted at that time, defects reported subsequent to inspections; if a repair is required, when was the defect passed for repair, and the time taken to complete the repair? In all of these circumstances the claim handlers will determine, based on all of the facts, whether the Council acted reasonably, taking into account external circumstances like adverse weather, and utilities accessing road and footpath surfaces.

There is no set time scale when the Council has to respond to a request for a repair, but where a repair is agreed, the Council has a range of agreed target completion times, ranging from 2 hours to 5 working days to complete repairs. The time taken to affect a repair does not directly affect the response a claimant would receive, unless the time taken to undertake the repair causes an issue.

To report road defects such as potholes or faulty street lights, you can call the Customer Contact Centre on 0300 300 0300 from Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm. Outwith these hours, you can call 0300 300 0144 to report faults. You can also find an online fault reporting form at www.renfrewshire.gov.uk and search for “road and lighting faultsâ€. You can also use a link on this page to make an insurance claim.

You can follow Renfrewshire Council Roads & Transport Department on Facebook by going to www.facebook.com/renfrewshirecouncil